Lactulose

dennnotDen24

I have recently been prescribed Lactulose for a complex reason: I have to take riveroxaban after a sub-dural haematoma and a spinal haematoma.
This means it is very difficult to find a suitable painkiller for muscular pains or arthritis.
I cannot use any aspirin based which means that neurofen is also out.
My doctor prescribed co-codamol 15/500 with Lactulose for the constipation that codeine causes

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently been prescribed Lactulose for a complex reason: I have to take riveroxaban after a sub-dural haematoma and a spinal haematoma.
This means it is very difficult to find a suitable painkiller for muscular pains or arthritis.
My doctor prescribed co-codamol 15/500 with Lactulose for the constipation that codeine causes
I take it the tablets don't weigh a whole lot? I mean, how many grams of carbs/sugars could possibly be in a single dose? I don't know how often you take it, but even if there's 4 doses in a day, I doubt it'd do a whole lot to your blood sugars. If unsure, use your meter to see whether it makes a serious dent. And if it can be taken with food, rather than an empty stomach, have some cream or cheese when you take it, as the fats'll slow down the uptake of the few carbs that are in there.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I kept thinking lactose, not lactulose... That stuff doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream, it's converted to acids in the intestines. So should be perfectly fine, far as blood sugars go.

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you tried naproxen for the pain, if not see your gp about them. You are lucky to have a Dr that prescribe lactulose.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My dad took Lactulose to remove ammonia from his system, but don’t l know what he was using for pain, maybe something like ibuprofen. But you should check with your doc or pharmacy

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Diverticular disease and have prescribed 30/500 Co-Codamol painkillers for use as and when, but mostly at night to aid sleep. i was prescribed Lactulose originally but was switched to Senna tablets. Since going back to Keto there is so little contents that the 3 - 4 days where nothing shows is not a problem. I also take Rivaroxaban and aspirin, and 80mg Atorvastatin as have had 2 strokes, Metformin 500mg to aid circulation, the normal caused bloating and wind which i thought i could deal with, until the diverticulitis flared up, so switched to slow release, and a Proton pump inhibitor to reduce acid reflux. I also thought hang on prescribing sugar when diabetic, but was assured the body basically ignores it, it becomes a lubricant in the bowel.