LADA or MODY?

DaveEK

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was first diagnosed as Type 2 about 7 years ago. It soon became apparent that I did not fit the Type 2 profile and after testing it was decided I was LADA.

I have survived the "honeymoon period" with regular Metformin (but without insulin) and my HBa1C is undercontrol.

Last week I went for a regular blood rest & was quite happy with a reading of 48 but my GP called me to say that my kidney readings were all wrong! I was then sent to the Same Day Emergency Care unit at the local hospital where they gave me a day long infusion and regular blood tests.

This is where it gets interesting. I was seen by a Diabetes consultant who suggested that my LADA prognosis may have been wrong, and I could be MODY. In the meantime I am off Metformin (because if my kidney readings) and instead am taking Gliclazide. I am due back at the hospital on Monday for further tests.

I have checked out MODY as best I can but I somehow do think I am a likely candidate. After all the Y in MODY is for young, and I am 77 and there is no history of diabetes anywhere in family.

Thanks for any advice.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was misdiagnosed with T2 in 2009.
I was eventually found after many tests to have Non diabetic- Reactive Hypoglycaemia.

So until all the tests are done a true diagnosis cannot be assured.
The majority of tests are used to eliminate other conditions, rather than actually saving it is such and such condition. Gliczide is designed to help with lowering blood glucose levels.
The treatment is far more important in getting control of all endocrine conditions.
Best wishes.

Reactions: ert

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have checked out MODY as best I can but I somehow do think I am a likely candidate. After all the Y in MODY is for young, and I am 77 and there is no history of diabetes anywhere in family.
Well presumably that means they will do the genetic tests to check? I agree from my (very limited) understanding of MODY you seem somewhat atypical, but then there are lots of different genetic variants so who knows?

There's also T3c where the loss of insulin is due to physical damage to the pancreas ? eg pancreatitis

But I agree with @Lamont D that the most important thing is to get the right treatment to control your bgs , though with the NHS there is also the fact that people with the T1 variant seem to get slightly better tech than others?

Good luck with your appointment on Monday

• Agree
Reactions: Lamont D

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was first diagnosed as Type 2 about 7 years ago. It soon became apparent that I did not fit the Type 2 profile and after testing it was decided I was LADA.

I have survived the "honeymoon period" with regular Metformin (but without insulin) and my HBa1C is undercontrol.

Last week I went for a regular blood rest & was quite happy with a reading of 48 but my GP called me to say that my kidney readings were all wrong! I was then sent to the Same Day Emergency Care unit at the local hospital where they gave me a day long infusion and regular blood tests.

This is where it gets interesting. I was seen by a Diabetes consultant who suggested that my LADA prognosis may have been wrong, and I could be MODY. In the meantime I am off Metformin (because if my kidney readings) and instead am taking Gliclazide. I am due back at the hospital on Monday for further tests.

Thanks for any advice.
How ate you doing? When you were taking Metformin, did it have any impact on your blood sugar levels?

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
Well presumably that means they will do the genetic tests to check? I agree from my (very limited) understanding of MODY you seem somewhat atypical, but then there are lots of different genetic variants so who knows?

There's also T3c where the loss of insulin is due to physical damage to the pancreas ? eg pancreatitis

But I agree with @Lamont D that the most important thing is to get the right treatment to control your bgs , though with the NHS there is also the fact that people with the T1 variant seem to get slightly better tech than others?

Good luck with your appointment on Monday
I have a diagnoses of LADA. My diabetes clinic treats me as T1 - I was started on insulin immediately with Freestyle and changed to Dexcom G6 with in months and just waiting for insulin pump.
I found the diabetes support brilliant but the supporting services abysmal.