LADA over 60?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Lada first diagnosis possible over the age of 60?

I see the definition is age 35-50, but I am over 60 trying hard to reduce bg but it is gradually creeping up even though I have gone lchf. I lost 18lbs very quickly but then nothing for 2 months now. My average bg over that 2 months has gone from 6.2 to 7.4

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. LADA can be diagnosed at any age. That BS average is very low and doesn't imply LADA yet. What was your last HBa1C? LADA is often associated with unexpected weight loss bot associated with diet change as the body starts burning body fat as there isn't enough insulin to metabolise the carbs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
LADA can happen at any age, bar -perhaps- very young children.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. LADA can be diagnosed at any age. That BS average is very low and doesn't imply LADA yet. What was your last HBa1C? LADA is often associated with unexpected weight loss bot associated with diet change as the body starts burning body fat as there isn't enough insulin to metabolise the carbs.
My one and only Hba1c was 53 back at end Feb but I only got diagnosis end of March

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There are LADA's diagnosed in their 70's.

I was misdiagnosed for over 8 years and even though I was doing everything I right my numbers kept creeping up. One of the signs of type 1 is needing insulin within 3 years of diagnosis.

Being diagnosed properly means controlling it better, and getting the proper treatment. I would ask for a C-Peptide test which tells you how much insulin you are making and an antibody test.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My one and only Hba1c was 53 back at end Feb but I only got diagnosis end of March
Hi again, Thanks for that. It's a fairly low figure which implies you are either a LADA in the very early 'Honeymoon' period or you are not LADA. I would just keep going with a low-carb diet and any meds you have been prescribed and ask for the T1/LADA tests if the BS keeps going up.

Reactions: Antje77

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For a lot of people Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease. NIHR evidence supports that half of the people in their trial managed to put their diabetes into remission, but it's not everyone.
https://evidence.nihr.ac.uk/alert/type-2-diabetes-can-be-reversed-with-a-low-calorie-diet--/
It's sad that this website is still talking about low-calorie rather than low-carb. The former will help but the latter addresses the glucose intolerance that we suffer. Having a low-fat diet is not generally helpful. I would say it's probable that following a LCHF diet would put more people into remission than the LFHC diet.

Girvo

Hi I was diagnosed with LADA about 18 months ago, I was 47 at the time my weight plummeted to 9st 6,
I was constantly tired and aching even after 10 hours sleep, when I had problems doing my job I went to A&E with my daughter, within 2 hours I was in resus on drips and monitors, told I was at best a couple of days, at worst a few hours from dying, wife and daughter even taken into the family room, I'd been in sever ketosis for weeks without even knowing, apparently my blood was turning to acid and I was getting what they called " it's like candy floss in your veins" I've suffered really bad since from neuropathy since, to the point that I couldn't get out of bed for about 2 months, couldn't even have the quilt on my legs, had just over 12 months off work, went back at 2 building up to 3 hours a day then lockdown.
So take care and be more aware of aches and pains etc,
Paul

Reactions: Barbara93

Mustaffa

I was diagnosed LADA July 31, a month before my 60th birthday. HbA1C was 125 BG 24 and immediately started on basal Lantus insulin. GAD antibodies are negative. So still trying to get tested for C-peptide and other autoantibodies.
Now 4 months later with low carb diet, 36 units a night of insulin My HbA1C is 37 and weekly average BG is 5.8.
Looking back I had all the classic symptoms of Type 1. Thirsty, fatigue, eating like a horse and losing weight. I’d put it down to working 10 hour shifts with no break doing COVID testing.