Lantus timing...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
have you changed your lantus timing with better results?
It's driving me mad. I take it at 10 pm before bed. I eat the same amount of protein, fat and carbs in the evening at 6:30-7. I usually go to bed in the 80's. 2 units and I'll wake up around 100. 3 units I can be even, a tad higher or drop into the low 70's. No rhyme or reason. When I first started I took it with my meal but was also inconsistent and I would drop fast before bed. At that time I was only on lantus, no bolus but I was taking 5 units and was usually around 200!
Question is , did changing the time you took lantus help and how so? Were you going low and waking up high? Where you high and waking up low?

Thanks, any input could help. Bolus hasn't changed but lantus is a wild card lately.

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I try and keep to the 10.30PM my diabetic nurse advised. I asked recently if I should switch to another time and she said not

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I originally took mine in the mornings only (07:30) and would find I'd be higher in the mornings. I took it in the evening (19:30) for a while too which worked better but my DSN has had me splitting it 12 hours apart for a while now.

I seem to need less throughout the day so it's not an even split (60/40) right now.

Star_Anise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi former LADA here (officially dx in 2011)
It's a pain but are you able to set your alarm 2am and check your blood sugar?
To see if your basal level is holding steady until you wake up or changing. Reason for 2am is to allow time for your dinner bolus to be out of your system and therefore allowing clearer result of how your lantus is.
I was put on Lantus injected 7am. I perservered 6mths and a ton of jelly babies, the Lantus caused hypos every few hours and was unpredictable sometimes. For some it's not a smooth profile like it is claimed to be. It's definitely 20-24hrs long and especially for LADA types in the early days the 1 daily injection will do.
Levimir however is smoother so you might want to ask for that if you find the Lantus is causing some unpredictability.
You will have to move to 2 doses morning and night eventually but this is expected for the more common basal insulins available. On plus side splitting gives more flexibility especially if you exercise.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi former LADA here (officially dx in 2011)
It's a pain but are you able to set your alarm 2am and check your blood sugar?
To see if your basal level is holding steady until you wake up or changing. Reason for 2am is to allow time for your dinner bolus to be out of your system and therefore allowing clearer result of how your lantus is.
I was put on Lantus injected 7am. I perservered 6mths and a ton of jelly babies, the Lantus caused hypos every few hours and was unpredictable sometimes. For some it's not a smooth profile like it is claimed to be. It's definitely 20-24hrs long and especially for LADA types in the early days the 1 daily injection will do.
Levimir however is smoother so you might want to ask for that if you find the Lantus is causing some unpredictability.
You will have to move to 2 doses morning and night eventually but this is expected for the more common basal insulins available. On plus side splitting gives more flexibility especially if you exercise.
That's exactly what happened to me when I split it. It was an awful day and I was even riding high as I was sick. My doc advised no too.
I have set my alarm, or jus taken it when I had to get up and it's pretty steady. It's just frustrating now. I'm afraid to take 3 if I'm sitting good but two raises me and sometimes way too much. No consistency or predictability
I've heard people moving it from dinner to bed and vice versa. I know with me it does work on food and lower me. I don't need that before bed. I'm clearly out in the morning and rely on humalog for the day. I know it like the back of my hand ( well as much as we can know imsulin). Maybe it's the crazy weather and season change. It's insulin....who knows