Latest HbA1c - Ok according to Reception

maxgarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been having rising Blood sugar readings for months. My GP seems to be dragging his feet for some unknown reason. My fasting readings are never below 14mmol/L. My latest blood test came back today, HbA1c 11.7% (105). My GP still only prescribes 3 x 80mg Gliclazide daily, and seems to think there is no urgency. I am now suffering from blurred vision, poor balance and permanent headaches. I have also been given daily steroids for another medical problem which can push my readings up even further. I have had readings as high as 33mmol/L plus. I am sure the guidelines require more treatment than I am being offered, not a comment from a receptionist "everythings ok, see your nurse at your review in 3 weeks time"

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been having rising Blood sugar readings for months. My GP seems to be dragging his feet for some unknown reason. My fasting readings are never below 14mmol/L. My latest blood test came back today, HbA1c 11.7% (105). My GP still only prescribes 3 x 80mg Gliclazide daily, and seems to think there is no urgency. I am now suffering from blurred vision, poor balance and permanent headaches. I have also been given daily steroids for another medical problem which can push my readings up even further. I have had readings as high as 33mmol/L plus. I am sure the guidelines require more treatment than I am being offered, not a comment from a receptionist "everythings ok, see your nurse at your review in 3 weeks time"
It sounds like you need to express your concerns thoroughly at your next appointment @maxgarry. If it were me, I'd be requesting an appointment sooner than 3 weeks (if possible) as it is impacting your standard of living from what you've described.

You are clearly aware than an HbA1c of 105 IFCC is not okay. Is this a dramatic increase from your prior results?

Reactions: dbr10

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think you should find a new doctor, STAT!! This sounds very serious.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that my Hba1c of 91 was far too high - so if you have 105 and are on glucose lowering tablets - and I assume that you are limiting your carbohydrate intake to help lower the impact your diet is having too, then obviously you need to have help to get safer BG levels.
A reading of 33mmol/l should have set off alarm bells - I'd be looking for a different doctor who is less blasé about my wellbeing.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you can share what your daily meals are like?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I was using steroids, prednisolone at diagnosis and my levels were recorded at 29 mmol/L and I was put straight on insulin and if I had to use it again for more than a week or two I would ask to be put back on it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I agree that level is far too high to just be left as it is. The steroids will no doubt be part of the problem. Can you tell us more about your BMI? Have you reduced your carbs which will help with the blood sugar. If you are already low-carbing and are slim then suspect being Late onset T1 and not T2. If you do have excess weight then it may be you are having too many carbs but the steroids certainly won't be helping. As Sid says it may be necessary to go onto insulin whilst on the steroids if all else fails.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As the others have said, those levels are very high, and anything in the 30's can be dangerous and heading towards DKA.
You are also on Gliclazide, which stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin to cover the carbs you eat, and this is clearly not working, which could mean your pancreas is beginning to burn out meaning you require insulin injections. Either you need to increase medication (insulin) or drastically cut your carb consumption depending on what is causing this.

Your doctor is very negligent to dismiss this as "OK". I would nag to see your nurse or doctor earlier than 3 weeks, and ask for the T1 tests (c-peptide and GAD)

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good lord, if mine were that high and the receptionist had said that to me I'd be straight round there demanding to see a doctor immediately, though I honestly doubt my surgery would be naff anyway. I wouldn't wait three weeks and If they fob you off then go to an NHS walk place or A & E and tell them you GP would not treat you further. I little drastic I know, and we are told not to go to Hospital if you can see a GP, but it's your life and you certainly have a say in that so sod the GP

Reactions: dbr10 and Deanc883

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
When my intitial tests came back my HbA1c was 98 - the receptionist said ' I'm surprised you don't feel ill ' .... I did ... argggggg

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are being leglected and put at risk.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

That's crazy - another example that some Health Professionals can be a detriment to ones health. I remember once my A1Cs hitting 8.3 and my health team had a fit. I didn't have the heart to tell them that the cause was because I was just getting lazy in my day to day health regimen. Needless to say I got it down again - no help from my health team - although I thnked them anyway -

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's crazy - another example that some Health Professionals can be a detriment to ones health. I remember once my A1Cs hitting 8.3 and my health team had a fit. I didn't have the heart to tell them that the cause was because I was just getting lazy in my day to day health regimen. Needless to say I got it down again - no help from my health team - although I thnked them anyway -
Would you rather they gave you a pat on the back for having an elevated HbA1c; in turn increasing your risks of developing any of the wonderful diabetic related complications on offer? I don't see why their concern is a hindrance @fletchweb?

Your health care team are there to offer you advice when you need it and to look after your overall well-being, through analysing your results and tracking your progress. Just because you got lazy bears no reflection on the competence of your health care team. Neither does it imply that they were in any way detrimental to your health.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Would you rather they gave you a pat on the back for having an elevated HbA1c; in turn increasing your risks of developing any of the wonderful diabetic related complications on offer? I don't see why their concern is a hindrance @fletchweb?
I never said it was an hindrance - I was replying to someone's else's post whose A1C was 11.3 and their health team did not seemed concerned this was why I was surprised based on the reaction of my health team - I guess I wasn;t clear enough in stating that - by the way I've been living with type 1 for 51 years (my average A1C runs 7.2 to 7.5) and I'm complication free.