LCHF bad for cholesterol/heart disease?

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there everyone,

I've been looking into different diets for diabetes as I don't feel like LCHF is good for the body. It just doesn't equate to health, to me. I can't see how all that fat and salt can help the body overall and even though it might lower blood glucose and keep diabetes in check, in the long run, it's going to hurt the heart. Is this true? Am I missing something? I'm no doctor but I don't get it. Surely, salt and fat is bad! Red meats are shown to hurt us. All that bacon and cheese, it cannot be good.

I've been looking into the vegan diet but we cannot really eat much fruit or rice, pasta etc so basically is all we're reduced to is salad, the odd egg and maybe a little bit of oily fish to stay healthy? I've been looking into low carb vegan and to be fair, what a dismal food life but I guess if it has to be done...

I don't want to look after my diabetes at the expense of my heart, arteries and other organs.

Basically, my question is, how do we stay ultra healthy looking after the whole body as well as controlling diabetes very well? Does anyone have a weekly food and exercise chart for such a way to live?

I'm more than happy to be wrong, any info would be greatly appreciated!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would recommend you watch the videos that @Indy51 has been posting by Professor Tim Noakes. They will answer your questions in plain English and give you a lot of insight into diabetes and diet. He is not selling anything or promoting anything. He goes into heart disease, cholesterol, diabetes, insulin resistance, dietary fat and carbohydrates. He also explains where those high carb low fat guidelines come from and it is an eye opener. Diabetes, uncontrolled, causes heart disease. This is well documented.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
LCHF is not bacon and cheese and eating heavily salted butter with a spoon, it is actually very high in veggies for most people. If you have not read @daisy1 's post it is a good place to start.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are asking all the right questions...hopefully you will experience the answers...

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there everyone,

I've been looking into different diets for diabetes as I don't feel like LCHF is good for the body. It just doesn't equate to health, to me. I can't see how all that fat and salt can help the body overall and even though it might lower blood glucose and keep diabetes in check, in the long run, it's going to hurt the heart. Is this true? Am I missing something? I'm no doctor but I don't get it. Surely, salt and fat is bad! Red meats are shown to hurt us. All that bacon and cheese, it cannot be good.

I've been looking into the vegan diet but we cannot really eat much fruit or rice, pasta etc so basically is all we're reduced to is salad, the odd egg and maybe a little bit of oily fish to stay healthy? I've been looking into low carb vegan and to be fair, what a dismal food life but I guess if it has to be done...

I don't want to look after my diabetes at the expense of my heart, arteries and other organs.

Basically, my question is, how do we stay ultra healthy looking after the whole body as well as controlling diabetes very well? Does anyone have a weekly food and exercise chart for such a way to live?

I'm more than happy to be wrong, any info would be greatly appreciated!

"what a dismal food life but I guess if it has to be done..." ... you do not have to eat dismal food to control your diabetes. My diet has been enhanced since I made changes - I love my food even more.

For me personally vegan would never be an option :angelic:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your body needs fat but doesn't need anywhere near the carbs we eat. Excess carbs are stored as fat in the body and are the biggest cause of obesity and of course blood sugar rise for us. Salt is needed by the body and high blood pressure caused by salt only affects a small minority. Bottom line is that carbs are the biggest villain so forget the rest.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heart failure ... I ate the diet that my Dr advised . very low fat .. and high carbs ... I was very unwell .. so unwell to the point of being offered palliative care .. I thought with nothing left to loose I went against my doctors advice and went LCHF .. yes I know high fat . (I was dying anyway) . within two years I have my life back .. my T2 in in remission .. my heart failure nurse is over the moon with my progress .. I am no longer on the list for a hospice palliative care .. I have 2 dogs now and walk for miles .. can live again .. My bloods are all in the normal range inc my cholesterol .. according to my heart nurse my heart sound better than it ever has. I have my life back ... I don't need to read what so called medical research has to say ... I know that the LCHF way of eating has saved my life.
If you want to follow other ways of eating its up to you .. but I know whats working for me
edit to add ... I am vegetarian

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I think what we are all trying to say is ... even though you "don't feel like LCHF is good for the body" why not give it a go and see.. It has worked for us so why shouldn't it work for you.
Of course should you choose to go down the vegan route then that's your choice but surely your preconception of what a "healthy" diet is doesn't mean you can't try all types and find one that works for you. I was lucky LCHF was the first I tried and have great success on . My cholesterol levels have hardly moved (not that I would care especially if they had), weight has come off and bloods are well controlled.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When all else fails to lower bgs. Lchf is very very successful at normalizing bg levels. If done correctly!
Too much protein or salt can increase blood pressure and evening bgs.
Too much of any food is bad for the body!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As others have said, low carbs higher fat actually works!

My whole health has turned around since diagnosis and a recommendation of eating low carb. I was heading for my coffin. My whole endocrine system was in a right turmoil. My heart health was very poor. My weight increased to over seventeen stone.
I was obese!
Over two years later, my health is so good, that my docs see me once a year!
My endocrinologist sees me twice a year, my dsn once a year!
My life signs are excellent, my heart is healthy and I only take meds to prevent anything going awry, though I don't really need them!
I am now approaching over six stone in lost weight.
There are many others, that have changed lifestyle.
I love my food.
There is tasty alternatives to everything you eat now!

Every other diet is not sustainable, low carb, higher fat is and it does work.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I've only been on LCHF for a few weeks. Here's what I've noticed: I've lost a stone in weight; my BG readings are improving; my blood pressure is lower; I have bags of energy. Don't know about my cholesterol yet but I guess I'll find out after my next Hba1c in November. I'm hoping that will be down too although it was only slightly over.

For years they have been dinning into us that red meat, salt, etc., is bad for us, so much so that we have started to believe it, even though people had done well on a higher-fat diet for years.

All things are bad for us if we take them to excess. Even water.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Another one popping up to confirm that LCHF works for me.
It needn't be all bacon & cheese (although that works for me too!) Try broccoli and stilton soup, sea bass fried in coconut oil, egg mayo, spinach wilted in a bit of olive oil, cauli rice instead of normal rice, celeriac instead of potato. Even just simple cream in your coffee.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another one that says LCHF works. I have lost over 3 stone, my blood pressure has nose-dived and my last HBa1C was 44, down from 97 when diagnosed.

Reactions: Nanny_B

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to find out which diet works best for you we all have to do that. I for instance do not eat red meat sausages or bacon because I don't like them so fry ups are out for me. I do use good oils like olive oil and coconut oil. I eat a lot of eggs and fish I have full fat cheese but don't have much butter or cream. I eat most vegetables, fruit and wholemeal bread but in moderation. I have just had my latest blood results and my BG averages 6.0 which my nurse and I are very happy with. I have never been overweight and ate much like that before I had diabetes. For others their diet may be totally different