Leg cramps & Metformin?

Harley Mike

Hi,
First question do you take Statins? I had terrible cramps/muscle pains in my legs, the gp said they would go away after a time but they did not. On Monday this week he changed my Statins and as if by magic here we are on Wednesday and no pains whatsoever so if you take Statins maybe this could be it, hope this helps.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
At about 03:30 this morning I was idly thinking about leg/foot cramps while hopping about the bedroom on one leg :shock: .

I was diagnosed Type 2 in April 2010 (when very stressed) with an HbA1c of 6.5 and a fasting BG of 9.0. I started testing in December 2010 and the highest reading I have ever seen was 11.7, that Christmas, 2 hours after an experimental mince pie.

Of course I have always had the occasional muscle cramp - what some people would call a "Charley Horse" - haven't we all? But the cramps I get now feel more like tendon cramps (if there is such a thing) than muscle cramps, and they tend to twist my feet to unnatural angles, or twist my toes together and across each other. They happen when I'm in bed, or when i have my feet up, or (in my toes) when I'm driving.

Now, my BG levels are well-controlled (never over 6 for about 12 months) and my HbA1c has been in the 5s since Sept 2010. The only thing I am doing differently since my pre-diabetic days is being less mobile - and taking Metformin!

I don't think cramps are a listed side-effect of Metformin - but could it be that which is causing the cramps?

I'd be interested to hear from Type 2s on Metformin with their experiences of cramps; also those of any type, NOT taking Metformin, as to whether they have these cramps as well.

Maybe someone who knows how could help me devise a box-ticking survey? Could be interesting!

Viv 8)
Hello all. It's strange that this should appear this morning as I had the worst cramp for months at 4 o'Clock this morning. I have suffered badly for a long time. Extreme exercise, white wine and goodness knows what else triggers it but yesterday I didn't realise until lying awake, that I'd had an extra Metformin yesterday which is why I checked for advice this morning.
The pain of the cramp is so bad I too leap out of bed but the combination of the pain and a sudden drop in blood pressure make me pass out. I lose control of everything so coming too can be considerably unpleasant and I am invariably sick for hours afterwards.
A physiotherapist gave me some stretching exercises to do a couple of times a day and i do them at night while cleaning my teeth and for months all has been well but I seem to be going through a bad patch again. I take statins too but as it's intermittent stopping the statins for a while is never conclusive.
It's all very unpleasant so I really feel for all you fellow sufferers out there. We are warned about the dire consequences of diabetes and told that keeping blood sugar under control will solve everything but I find that it's these 'little' things that make it a constant battle to live with.
Sorry, feeling a bit low this morning but better for letting off steam.
Keep trying the quinine....with or without the gin!
Claire

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I suggest you look into lactic acidosis and metformin. Extreme exercise is definitely related to a build up of lactic acid and is a known side effect of metformin.