Libre bleed - urgent!

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys!

I popped a new libre sensor on yesterday, it bled through the middle of the sensor which I’ve never had before! I left it for 24 hours to see if my readings would become accurate and it’s not.

just wondering if I should pull it or give 48 hours? Has anyone had this before?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just put on a new one and phone Abbott - they should send you a replacement (do keep hold of the dodgy one though as they will ask you to send it back to them)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I had one that spurted out blood everywhere on application. I wiped it down and used it for two weeks. It worked the same. I must have hit a capillary. Mine are never very accurate in the first 3 days. But they calibrate well on X-Drip with finger pricks, but not when you scan and Libre itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Medusa41

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just put on a new one and phone Abbott - they should send you a replacement (do keep hold of the dodgy one though as they will ask you to send it back to them)
I will call and hopefully they replace, thank you x

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one that spurted out blood everywhere on application. I wiped it down and used it for two weeks. It worked the same. I must have hit a capillary. Mine are never very accurate in the first 3 days. But they celebrate well on X-Drip with finger pricks, but not when you scan and Libre itself.
I don’t have x Drip unfortunately, only the libre reader. I’ll pull it and contact Abbott! Thank you xx

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s happened once to me. It didn’t affect my readings though. But if your not getting accurate readings Abbott are good at replacing them, mine came in less than 24hrs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Like @ert , i've had a bit of a gusher out the center hole on application which stained the "spoon" on the Miaomiao?
It did soon sort itself out. Lasted the two weeks with a close eye on it with no major deviation or need for more frequent than usual calibration, using xDrip.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi you don’t need to replace it - it happens, had a few myself but readings were fine.

Reactions: Medusa41

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi you don’t need to replace it - it happens, had a few myself but readings were fine.
It’s been over 24 hours and It’s still very inaccurate off by 3-4 mmol when tested against reader.. it was 6-7mmol off on insertion so I might give it a little longer to see if it becomes anymore accurate before I pull it. Kinda scared to pull it incase the bleeding starts again if I’m honest :D

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kinda scared to pull it incase the bleeding starts again if I’m honest :D
Well you'll have to remove it at some point, just make sure you've got some tissues or a paper towel handy :)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had ones that have bled on insertion, but have read accurately. No problems when I've taken them off, apart from some lovely bruises beneath and a bit tender for a day.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I scanned a couple more times against finger prick and the accuracy has levelled out more, it’s reading about 0.8 lower but I can work with that! Thankfully no need to pull! Thanks for the help guys! X

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I find the first couple of days with a new sensor a bit dicey, wayward readings galore and quite a few blood tests needed, even if I’ve let the sensor ‘soak’ for 24 hours prior to activation.
The only times I’ve bled with the sensor seem to have improved its accuracy: reading blood glucose rather than interstitial glucose?