1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lidl High Protein Rolls

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Salvia, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have just enjoyed half a Lidl roll toasted with portion of haddock, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. Very tasty.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mongolia

Mongolia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And the general election. One of the parties should put the protection of Lidl protein rolls in their manifesto...!:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ultramum

Ultramum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That sounds yummy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They are available in Yarmouth but do look smaller

• Like Like x 2
  5. LidiaS

LidiaS Family member · Member

There is a truly wonderful alternative loaf called Livlife, 3.8 per slice, £1.59 a loaf, Waitrose stocks it, freezes beautifully and tastes divine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Love that! Also folded smoked salmon with horseradish and creamy strangled eggs on top. Or (today) half roll with Lidl smoked mackerel and horse again.. or...

• Like Like x 2
  7. hca

hca Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had my first protein roll yesterday with bacon and fried halloumi for my dinner. Been out today and bought 10 of them, soooooo lovely, can't wait to finally have peanut butter and toast for breakfast.

• Like Like x 4
  8. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had a panic last week no rolls and no empty basket for rolls ,rushed to find a staff member .Phew don't worry he said there were non in stock to cook today but they will be coming in soon . I was going away and lidl Ireland don't stock them but I had enough in the freezer to take with me( I stocked up when we had the last scare ) Hopefully on my next visit I can stock the freezer again
    CAROL

• Like Like x 2
  9. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I managed to get some from a different Lidl from my usual one; they looked a little smaller than usual, but I've found that sizes do seem to vary, even within the same baking batch. Don't know if they're actgually smaller as I didn't weigh them before freezing, will check when I next defrost one. I don't really mind about the size-v-cost at the mo, because they've been 29p for a long time (well, for the past year since I've been eating them). I'm just glad to have found a store that still stocks them :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

11. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I have been able to get these at 4 for one pound recently - great with kippers or made into cheese on toast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BST

BST Type 2 · Newbie

Rolls still available in Southend but an exciting development - Livlife bread available from Waitrose, only 3.8g per slice. Marvellous!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Salvia

Me too. Went to stock up last week and found they were as you say, 4 for a pound, so was very pleased to help myself to all that were left in the basket! I only have one very occasionally, but they keep well in the freezer. Haven't tried toasting them yet, but they do indeed go well with kippers for lunch.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salvia

Thanks BST; Since my earlier post I have found another Lidl - still about an hour's drive away but in the opposite direction!

Haven't tried the Livlife yet, but something to keep on the back-burner ready for when needed.

:)

15. Caz_B

Caz_B Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Asda do Protein Bread but not as nice and at £1.30 for five slices (a lot smaller than the rolls) they are a bit pricey x

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I also emptied the basket the other day, also at 4 for a £1.
    I love the look on the check out person's face every time I go when they see how many I have. I have 2 bags full and have to tell them how many there are to save them diving in to count them.

I love them sliced in half, toasted with a generous spread of butter that all melts in. I tend to have mine with a salad or a fry up.

17. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ha! Having read through this thread, I know who to blame when there are no protein rolls in Lidl..... I think they've been discovered in my neck of the woods because not so long ago there were always loads in the basket; this afternoon I took the last three and two other days last week there were none. Aaargh!! Need to clear space in freezer for Christmas bulk buy. Favourite way is like @bluetit, but close second is half of one toasted, spread with pate and topped with thick circles of cucumber.

• Like Like x 1
  18. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I ask the sales people if there are any ready to come out of the ovens to go back at the end of my shopping ,or order some and they are happy to put some aside for me
    CAROL

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

At my store they bake and replenish the baskets at set times of the day so I know which time is best to go to make sure there are enough. I cannot tell you how I feel if I go at a different time and find the basket empty. It's probably like a drug addict that has no heroin. I'm exaggerating, but I do feel awful.

20. Salvia

Same at my store; only trouble is I go so seldom that they seem to have changed the timings every time. The fresh-baked section isn't staffed routinely, so it appears to be pot-luck who does the baking (or, I guess, whoever happens to be on baking rota that day). I was lucky this time and got 16 at one go; those'll last me well into the New Year. :)eek: New Year, already!!)

Sadly, I have also had to come away empty-handed on occasion when I've misjudged the times and found the basket empty with no hope of an early replenishment. :meh:
    There's someone on here (can't remember who it is), who can buy them frozen/uncooked, to bake at home. Have asked about this at my store but was refused without too much consideration (I thought). Keep wondering if I should email Lidl and ask if they can introduce a bake-at-home version; still just a passing thought at the mo.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook