Lidl's high protein/low carb rolls

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't got a Lidl close by so yesterday when I found I was almost out of these rolls we did a 40 mile round trip to get some. I bought all they had cooked and then asked if we could buy some of the frozen un-baked ones. Total haul of 18 cooked and 24 frozen. Lady said I could have rung in advance and she would have baked them for me.
Wow that is Lidl roll devotion I can't stand them myself but my T2 husband has them. If I have bread at all it is a slice of toasted Burgen now and again

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I like them but not enough to travel that far just to get them. I also filled up the freezer with all their post-Christmas reductions - some excellent bargains - then took the dogs for a long walk.

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This might sound stupid, but everyone is saying these rolls do or don't spike up their bg. Are people not injecting enough to cover it or is their basal enough? I don't know much about low carbing...

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some type 2s are not on insulin injections. They are maybe diet controlled only but all type 2s have to do diet control. Myself I'm on mixed insulin injections so I try and stick to an as low as possible carb diet so I can inject less. Adding less weight. I inject 30,30,44/54 per day. If I keep my carbs down I can reduce my insulin in 10 units. More than half this amount when really stricked.
Since I'm severely overweight and looking for weight loss. Any low carb pleasure (bread roll) can help me lose weight if no spike.
It seems everyone's level of carb tolerance is different. I guess type 1s always needs insulin but also need less with low carb consumption. :)

shelts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like them toasted, butter slapped on and a tin of mackerel on top! get in! No spike at all.....:)

Reactions: 7 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh finally succumbed and have jumped on the Lidl protein roll band wagon. This involved an hour round trip to the nearest branch. Bought their stock of 10 with the intention of freezing (will cut in half first, thanks for the advice). Interesting to read that they sold them to you frozen and uncooked @Chook and that you could have phoned ahead. Wonder if the Farnham branch would do the same?! Anyway am experimenting on the effect on BS level having had a whole one for lunch - 1 half with brie and the other with butter and lemon curd. Was lovely and an awful lot cheaper than the Ugg bread I have been making! Fingers crossed for no spike - will keep you posted!:joyful:

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news! BS before eating roll 5.1. After 2 hours 6.1:D Looks like I can eat a whole roll without problems, though will do a few more tests just to make sure. They are quite large and filling though so maybe half would be enough.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just discovered freezer isn't big enough for amount of rolls purchased:wideyed:

Reactions: 8 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd be amazed what you can squash in there. Have another go!!!!! X

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I keep some in fridge and some in freezer. I hope u managed. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good news! BS before eating roll 5.1. After 2 hours 6.1:D Looks like I can eat a whole roll without problems, though will do a few more tests just to make sure. They are quite large and filling though so maybe half would be enough.
I'm glad you enjoyed them. :). Next time you need some try ringing in advance - they might agree to putting them to one side for you already baked.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Omg! Blinking well sold out at my Lidl!!!! Arrrrrgggghhh! Can we please stop raving about these before everyone finds out about them.....

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Omg! Blinking well sold out at my Lidl!!!! Arrrrrgggghhh! Can we please stop raving about these before everyone finds out about them.....
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1452535312.817331.jpg
these are good too.........

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
A small roll will generally have over 20 - 30 carbs. 9 is pretty low and if you can find a one lower then please post it as there will definitively be interest. Unfortunately flour is a high carb product.

Reactions: 4 people

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat half a Lidl roll with lashings of butter with no spike in BG ,i my try a whole one

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Please enlighten me with these Lidl things.... they are 9g of Carb per roll? that does seem high to me.
They are about 120g in weight, and have 8.5g of carbs per 100g. So around 10g of carbs per roll. But if you only eat half that would be around 5g of carbs. They are quite filling.

Last edited by a moderator: