Lidl's high protein/low carb rolls

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is the first time in two weeks since being diagnosed with T2 that I have felt happy. Being a previously high carb food junkie have been trying to cut out most of my carbs except once a week porridge and once a week burgen bread and now have a roll that I could eat occasionally, with pate how fantastic . Being more serious I'm finding it all a bit hard. I have seen my bloods drop from 18 to 6 or 7 through the day but they are still 8-9 in morning my other blood count at doctors was 85 which is apparently supper high four weeks ago so have a lot of hard work and changes ahead

Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Amandamc2711 and welcome to the forum. If you have only been diagnosed two weeks ago it will all be difficult at first. It does take a bit of time to get your head around it all. Well done on finding this forum, you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.
Don't worry too much about your BS levels being 8-9 in the morning. That might be due to the 'Dawn Phenomenom' where your liver dumps stored glucose into your bloodstream when you wake to get you going. If you are following a Low Carb approach to eating that should come down in time.

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today I learnt not all apples are the same to add coconut oil to porridge to help sugar spike and lidl rolls will be my Friday treat. My head feels fuzzy with so much new information and completely new way of eating but the hardest thing is what to buy in for the week for meals so all the family can eat. I'm thankful my children love healthy foods and will try anything but I could do with a menu fairy at the minute. I did download some UK diabetes receipes but these still had very high carb value

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Go have a look at www.dietdoctor.com - it's very enlightening.

I no longer eat 'healthy' stuff like fruit and porridge - get my carbs now from mainly veg and some dairy. I didn't believe this was the way to go for me but turns out it's perfect for us diabetics!

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Previously I only had them toasted, but was on a course the other day to which you had to 'bring lunch' so I made a sandwich with loads of butter, ham and cheese. Everyone commented on my delicious looking sarnie and were really interested in the roll! I do hope I haven't converted a load of non-diabetics!! They are in short enough supply round here as it is!!

Reactions: 6 people

Issy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I so want to try these, but our nearest store is nearly a 60 mile round trip! I made my hubby go on Sunday, was so looking forward to getting some, and shock horror, they had sold out, needless to say he wasn't best pleased. My mum is over this weekend, so I'm sending her on a mission before she leaves the city!

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I so want to try these, but our nearest store is nearly a 60 mile round trip! I made my hubby go on Sunday, was so looking forward to getting some, and shock horror, they had sold out, needless to say he wasn't best pleased. My mum is over this weekend, so I'm sending her on a mission before she leaves the city!

You could try phoning the shop in advance vand ask for some to be put aside for you. Some shops will do it and some won't but it's worth a try.

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
What is this witchcraft?! Just tried my first one, toasted with loads of butter and an egg! SO delicious and the end of my bread cravings! Only trouble, Lidl is not handy and the freezer's full! Anyone else addicted? ;)
Hi MrsHutt, Yes I am definitely addicted too you are not alone.:)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi when you do manage to buy them and you like them I buy a few at a time they will freeze.:)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I feel your pain! I'm like that every time my husband buys a Morrisons Tiger Loaf. I could easily just cut big fat slices and slather it with butter and honey....

One word of warning though, don't try making lidl protein roll in to bread and butter pudding or stuffing. I have done both and it was revolting.
Oh my god don't mention Tiger bread I used to eat loads with best butter and jam,:hungry: got to get this thought out of my mind.:hungry:

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
I have been eating them for quite a while but I only have half a roll because they are very filling but really nice I freeze the rolls after slicing them in half and they can be toasted straight from the freezer and are still really nice

Reactions: 2 people

mallins

Go have a look at www.dietdoctor.com - it's very enlightening.

I no longer eat 'healthy' stuff like fruit and porridge - get my carbs now from mainly veg and some dairy. I didn't believe this was the way to go for me but turns out it's perfect for us diabetics!
Hi I've just read your post and as it happens I've just come across this site last week. I think this site sounds great. I'm planning to start next week when I get all the family birthdays out of the way. How long have you been doing it and has it helped your blood sugars? I think I'm like you if I eat any fruit or porridge my sugars go sky high! I'm going to do their 2 week challenge.

Reactions: 2 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
We write in relation to your email regarding the Protein Rolls. Unfortunately, this product is not on sale in our Northern Ireland stores.

We have noted your interest in this product here for future use. It is only on receipt of such information that we are able to maintain and improve the variety of products offered to our customers. To keep up to date with all our latest offers also, we would recommend that you sign up to our Weekly Newsletter, check out or store leaflets and again all information regarding our current offers and specials can also be found on our website (http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk)

We trust that you will continue to remain a valued Lidl customer.

Assuring you of our best of intentions always.

Reactions: 5 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
We write in relation to your email regarding the Protein Rolls. Unfortunately, this product is not on sale in our Northern Ireland stores.

We have noted your interest in this product here for future use. It is only on receipt of such information that we are able to maintain and improve the variety of products offered to our customers. To keep up to date with all our latest offers also, we would recommend that you sign up to our Weekly Newsletter, check out or store leaflets and again all information regarding our current offers and specials can also be found on our website (http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk)

We trust that you will continue to remain a valued Lidl customer.

Assuring you of our best of intentions always.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Just had 2 rolls with full fat soft cheese and herbs, not only delicious and filling, but also quite a cheap lunch to at under £1.50.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I've just read your post and as it happens I've just come across this site last week. I think this site sounds great. I'm planning to start next week when I get all the family birthdays out of the way. How long have you been doing it and has it helped your blood sugars? I think I'm like you if I eat any fruit or porridge my sugars go sky high! I'm going to do their 2 week challenge.

Hi!
I was hardcore LCHFing for about 9 months when I started and had great results, then fell off wagon big time for best part of a year and undid all the good results

But came back at the end of December and haven't looked back since. This time it's been harder to get a change but since incorporating 24 hour fasts on alternate days, my bg is back in the fives and I'm losing pure fat again. I'm also feeling a bit lighter so am walking more.

I keep away from fruit other than berries and have them rarely. If I need something sweet I have Greek yoghurt and cinnamon or whipped cream with a chunk of melted choc drizzled over it and but sprinkles.

I feel really positive about it all and will keep going. But it is a long old journey.....x

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF