Lidl's high protein/low carb rolls

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
These have become my main choice of breakfast a 3rd or 4th of a roll toasted with a fried egg either a hens or a duck egg.

Pre breakfast BG 5.2 then post 2hr 6.2

Plus a 4 mile walk once a fortnight to get them helps too

Reactions: 6 people

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Are these rolls the dark brown with lots of lyndseeds can you tell me.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I did not know they were ow carb so I stopped them but I will get them again as they are nice thank you.x

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are these rolls the dark brown with lots of lyndseeds can you tell me.
Yes the brown triangular rolls:

LIDL rolls.jpg

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After initially spiking me, I find they are not too bad now (why??) Have them sliced into 2 slices, toasted, one with fried mushrooms and the other with loads of butter and a tiny bit of jam! Only twice weekly treat (and I must say I look forward to them!) Keep them in the freezer and pop them on the side to defrost for about an hour or two. Love my Lidl rolls :) (only 29p as well!)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As someone who needs to take a fuss free low carb meal to work 5+ days a week that looks 'normal' , I'm not sure what I'd do without these lidl protein rolls, they really do make my life just that little bit easier.

Reactions: 9 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine too, at times. They get my BG a little higher than other low carb foods, and blow up my tummy sometimes, but every now and then I need my bread with cheese, pate or so :p

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Louba84. If you go to lidl go straight to where all the loose bread rolls and pastries etc. are and you will find they are large, dark brown and triangular, you really can't miss them. Happy hunting :rolleyes: x
Hi I was going to ask as well thank you.

jodysd6

I love these but no lidl close, there is one about 20 miles away though in next town where I work one day every 2 weeks so always go on my lunch break when there to get some, was gutted they didn't have any this week but I still have a few in freezer! I can now have a Friday morning bacon sandwich with everyone else at work by taking one in with me then just ordering the bacon and making my own up!

Reactions: 5 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A word of caution for those new to the lidl protein rolls, test your BG response for a few extra times than normal. I usually spoke at about 1.5 hrs with majority of the low carb food I eat, the lidl protein rolls gave me a spike at 3hrs, hardly any rise until 3nrs (checked even 30mins) a 2mmol rise then a sharp drop.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A word of caution for those new to the lidl protein rolls, test your BG response for a few extra times than normal. I usually spoke at about 1.5 hrs with majority of the low carb food I eat, the lidl protein rolls gave me a spike at 3hrs, hardly any rise until 3nrs (checked even 30mins) a 2mmol rise then a sharp drop.

What did you have on yours? I pile on the butter to help slow down the spike. Purely medicinal

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you have on yours? I pile on the butter to help slow down the spike. Purely medicinal
Butter and cheese - for the same reason to slow the spike but I was very surprised my spike was so late, I read a lot of forum posts where testing is done at 2hrs max, just wanted to give any newbies a heads up that "new' foods should be tested for longer. :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting! Maybe it was too much lactose in one hit?!

MarkyP123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been eating these rolls quite regularly. I've only ever done a 2hr test, and they tend to increase by BG by 2 mmols, which is acceptable. Next time I have one, I'll do a 3hr test too.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So happy! Had half toasted with loads of butter and pate. 6.0 prior and 90 mins later 6.2. I'm happy with that!!

Reactions: 4 people
P

paula.nolan42

Love the Lidl HPR - life saver really - toasted with turkey rashers and a fried egg - best brunch ever :)

Craigh270779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have tried these from my local lidl, just say they are lovely, i was expecting them not to taste very nice but was quite surprised, I've seen "protein rolls" being sold on other sites online for about 5 times the cost so i'm quite chuffed

Reactions: 7 people