H7DNA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV, Holidays and Family
There is a section on here called:
Living with Diabetes, however no sub section for home life living with family or to be fair Family living with you! I am newby T2 and have no idea how my wife pits up with my sh*t lol nor can she believe or understand it. seems to be I have been diagnosed with a couple of things and its move on then your not dying whats happening gor Christmas? I am also to blame as I have tried to carry on regardless however this cant go on. But I do feel that a sub section in living with diabetes called family life where anyone can post their own experiences or just read about other famlies living with the BIG D - unless of course someone now tells me there is...
Ooops!!!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Living with Diabetes, however no sub section for home life living with family or to be fair Family living with you! I am newby T2 and have no idea how my wife pits up with my sh*t lol nor can she believe or understand it. seems to be I have been diagnosed with a couple of things and its move on then your not dying whats happening gor Christmas? I am also to blame as I have tried to carry on regardless however this cant go on. But I do feel that a sub section in living with diabetes called family life where anyone can post their own experiences or just read about other famlies living with the BIG D - unless of course someone now tells me there is...
Ooops!!!!

You got two rather big diagnoses in one go, really... "You're not dying, get on with it", uh, well... No, you're not dying, right now... But intestinal ulcers hurt a lot, and a late friend of mine ended up with a colostemy bag, a painkiller addiction and a LOT of hospital stays. ("Late" friend, because there was more going on in his life than the bleeding ulcers, by the way. It was just one of many, many chronic conditions he had). It kindof depends on how bad it is, how well you respond to your meds and all that, but it's no joke.

As for family issues, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/ might be kinda useful, but for me, if I have questions, I just throw them in the group here. T2 can actually cause complications that kill you. I wonder if your wife knows that. At the same time I don't want to needlessly alarm either of you. If you tackle D through diet and/or meds, it doesn't have to go that far. With well controlled numbers you could be perfectly fine. I have seen several people in my family, and my best friend's mom, lose the diabetes fight though, but that was before the low carb message got spread. They just ate as always, and didn't care what their bloods did... And lost both lower legs, one heart ruptured, another's aorta burst, fun stuff like that I'd rather not think too long about. It's not pretty, but it can all happen if control is bad. I have enough medical **** already, my husband is my caregiver, and I don't want him to have to carry me onto the toilet because I have 2 legs missing, or be a widower earlier than strictly nessecary. Again, it doesn't have to turn out like this, but you DO need to take your medical issues seriously, an so does the Mrs. (Otherwise, look up pictures of diabetic complications like feet ulcers, gangrene, retinopathy surgeries... See whether she'll take it seriously then. Has she ever seen an ulcerated intestine? Not pretty either. And a colostemybag...? Ever had one burst on you? Because it is humiliating! Not just for the one whose pants turn to bloody ****, but also for the person having to do a quick handwash in the hotel, up to elbows in fecal matter, because the other's too ashamed to show his face anymore...)

You know, like I said, that was a double whammey you got there, and you seem to have gone straight to the denial phase, possibly both of you... And that isn't really helpful to your situation right now, as you yourself have discovered. Because the stages of grief do apply to diagnoses too, you know... Anger, denial, bargaining, depression and acceptance aren't just for "regular, run of the mill" mourning. Get yourself The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung, it explains the disease as well as tells you how to keep it from progressing to the things I mentioned before. And ask your wife to read it too. When I started this journey, my husband was at every single appointment, every check-up, every result, and while he didn't have the time to read the book, (dyslexia, the gift that keeps on giving) I kept giving him quick notes over dinner so he knew about as much as I did by the end of it all. About what was happening to my body, and more importantly, what I was doing to get back to some semblance of health. At the appointments it was obviosu my measures were working, so that gave him something less to worry about too. Our lives are better for it: I'm more active than I was, generally less depressed (I don't know if high bloodsugars have been giving you dark moods, depression, moodswings or anger issues... But they're common! And no fun in a marriage. my husband was quite relieved when i finally stopped crying in my sleep.)... We get to enjoy our lives more than we did before diagnosis and LCHF/Keto/IF. But it's a thing you need to do together... I know a lot of T2's go through it all alone because their partner doesn't want to know, but ah... If she's the one in the kitchen, she needs to be in on this. Because if she's putting spuds on the table rather than an extra helping of veggies for you instead, that could be problematic. (Assuming you'll want to change your diet, that is). TALK. Really. You need to discuss this, because if you go through an entire overhaul in your lifestyle, you're going to need backup. Not just at the dinnertable, but at social occasions too. It's easier to say no to "aw, just one cookie won't hurt" (it will) when the other backs your dietary choices up. It is an emotional support system, not just for you, but for her too. And it's nice & convenient that I get my husband's veggies and he eats my fries. :) Partnerships are good. Maybe let her read all this as a conversation starter. What does she know about your new issues, what do you know, what are both your questions, what do you still ened to find out, what are you willing to do and whatnot...? What are your worries, what are hers? Talk, talk, talk! (And listen!!!!)

So, what IS happening for christmas? I'm hoping lots of meat, cheese, bacon and veggies. ;)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know of a section for living with the family but many people have posted that they are having trouble getting the point across to family members. I helped a couple of times by saying that the family members should look at picture like these so that you can explain what you are trying to avoid.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=diabetic+feet&t=opera&iax=images&ia=images
A seemigly dismissive attitude by family members can often be driven by their own fears and feelings of helplessnes about what to do?, how to help? What does the future hold?, along with ( for blood relatives) am I going to get it too?
Scarey pictures run the risk of making that dynamic worse - I would advocate an open discussion within the adults in the close family unit regarding fears, questions, needs etc

Edited to add
I had a quick shufty to see if Diabetes UK had any family suppourt forum - it seems not, although the issue of family seems to come up quite a lot for all sorts of different issues
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/search/26975097/?q=Family&o=relevance&c[node]=2
I think some local diabetes suppourt groups include family events

Last edited:
Reactions: Jo_the_boat
M

Member496333

Misinformation and industry misdirection influencing the mainstream media is largely to blame. Coupled with the fact that few health conscious people like to admit that their “healthy” diet might actually be bad for them results in a blanket denial. They’re not going to get it, and you’re “only type 2” so just don’t put sugar on your sugar puffs and everyone will be fine, including you.

I gave up debating it after a while, ignored everyone else’s views and opinions and just got on with my own thing. It wasn’t worth the stress.

Reactions: Flora123 and briped

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could your wife read around this forum? Maybe she could ask questions. What is she planning for Christmas dinner? Maybe we could offer some suggestions.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is so difficult for both the person with diabetes, as they are surrounded by blood sugar raising foods in regular settings (if they are low carb lifestylers), and for friends and family without a diagnosis, who consume the higher carb and sugary foods and drink as a norm.

Maybe there could be an advice sheet similar to what Daisy provides for newbies, but which is informational for those who are not diabetic; this could cover insulin and non insulin areas also.

The more generic education the better. I think alot of ordinary Josephine's and Jo's do not know carbs are seen as glucose in the body and that over spill turns to fat, this narrative alone would change the paradigm.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed it really annoyed me when my close family seemed to pretty much ignore it. I went around shouting 'don't you know I'm ill' and yelling 'are you trying to poison me' every time they offered me some toast. In the end you just get to a point where you sound boring so you gently remind them now and again but the rest of the time you just get on with it yourself. They soon get to know your eating habits. It's like any other person on a 'diet' of some kind, nobody really cares apart from you...but YOU are the most important one so it doesn't matter. It's a 'lonely' condition so make full use of this site where you can muse to your hearts content and nobody judges you....mostly. x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooops!!!!

@H7DNA - When I was diagnosed, one of my challenges was to help my OH come to terms with it. I hadn't been ill, not did I have any symptoms, so he found it difficult to get his head around it. It was further complicated in that he is the main cook in our house (he loves it, which is fine by me!), so it was important he got onboard, as far as changes to our way of eating were concerned.

You might note I said "our way of eating". It was and is deliberrerate, because we eat together as a couple, so there weren't going to be separate meals. He might have carbs I wouldn't bother with, but our meals had to be largely the same (as each other's).

The biggest breakthrough I had was when my blood glucose meter arrived and I started testing. At the outset, my numbers were high (as you would expect), so when I could show his the non-diabetic ranges, versus what my bloods were, he began to accept what we were faced with, and became much more engaged in my condition (although it's always been my condition not his or ours), and interested in the hallenge of cooking meals we could both enjoy without my blood numbers being a worry.

If you don't already have a meter, I would suggest you get one, and when you have it, share your numbers with your wife, so that she can understand the day-to-day challenges.

Ponchu

Ooops!!!!

My wife read Diabetes Code for me.

We eat the same now because she said I’d never last long term with her eating that which I’ve loved my entire life.