Longer runs- higher sugar levels

char87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am a regular gym goer and runner but have recently increased the distance I am running. i used to go for about 20min runs but have started running for about 45-60mins. On the shorter runs, I used to have a jelly baby or two before and found my levels stayed fairly constant during and straight after but then went low later on, so I dropped my basal on evenings after i ran. However, I have ntoiced that when i go for longer runs, if I have a couple of jelly babies and start with a sugarlevel around 6-8, I tend to finish very high (around 15-17). does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how i can stop the highs immediately after? I wasnt sure if i should stop having the jelly babies but am worried that i will go low mid run. Finding it very strange that i seem to need less carbs for more exercise!

Thanks
Charlotte

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're running in the anaerobic zone, at least towards the finish, which tends to promote sugar dumps from the liver. If you run at a cosnistently lower HR so that you are in the aerobic zone, then you should consistently burn sugars. If you manage your dosage right, you can reduce the need to consume sugar and get yourself into a fat burning zone as well

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ElyDave is right - do you have an uphill section as you approach home? Your BGs rise in response to a raised heart rate - it triggers your liver to release a load of glucose into your bloodstream, and unfortunately it doesn't switch off right away.
The only way to really work out how best to manage is with some trial and error. How about leaving the jelly babies until 20-30mins into the run, check your blood and then see if you need them. Regular testing is the best way to get to grips with your BG with exercise - and as ElyDave points out, keeping tabs on your Heart Rate so that you can become more confident in predicting what is likely to happen.
Runsweet is a great resource, and take a look at wwwteambloodglucose.com too.