Looking for some advice

Martysw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Okay I posted before about issues with meds and drs

So I started taken 1000mg of Metformin 2x daily and for the last few days have had nothing but being sick and the runs, I have as of this morning stopped taking them as I can not continue to be like this - anyone got any advice I already put a message in with Drs

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

So I started taken 1000mg of Metformin 2x daily and for the last few days have had nothing but being sick and the runs, I have as of this morning stopped taking them as I can not continue to be like this - anyone got any advice I already put a message in with Drs
Some respond to metformin that way. I did. There's a slow release kind that could be kinder on the guts, and you absolutely need to take it after a meal, not on an empty stomach, should you want to try again. But it is the metformin that got me to look for alternatives and that's why I ended up with a diet change... That helped more than the met ever could. (Even 7 years later it still gives me the shivers to think about how bad it got. And I stuck with it for 3 weeks. Dehydrated, bl**dy, a wreck.).

Ask for the slow release metformin if you want to give it a go. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is the diet I did.... I know you have surgery coming up, and just know, a change in diet can get better and faster results than metformin could ever generate. (It only makes your liver dump less of the stored glucose in there, and makes you a smidge more sensitive to your own insulin... It doesn't do anything about what you eat.). Surgery tends to get postponed when blood sugars are high, because wounds tend to not heal when you're high, and the infection rate is a lot higher.

Good luck!!!
Jo

Martysw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for you're reply I am slowly changing my diet its hard as I love BREAD even though it gives me bad gastro think I may have a glutien tolerance which i need to get looked into

I also should have a working kitchen again soon after a fire in July so i'll have space to make healthy meals

As I said I have sent a msg to dr but as to how quick they will get back to me is anyone's guess I have only seen the DB Nurse once in 10 months so thats fun

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for you're reply I am slowly changing my diet its hard as I love BREAD even though it gives me bad gastro think I may have a glutien tolerance which i need to get looked into

I also should have a working kitchen again soon after a fire in July so i'll have space to make healthy meals

As I said I have sent a msg to dr but as to how quick they will get back to me is anyone's guess I have only seen the DB Nurse once in 10 months so thats fun
You might want to google Keto Mug Bread. It tastes a little eggy straight out of the mug, but it's really good if you slice and toast it... Haven't had it in a long time, but then, I don't miss bread. I tend to bloat, and experienced constipation most of my life, which basically dissolved when I stopped eating bread. Not gluten intolerant, but let's say, sensitive. It's worth it, really. ;)

Hope things'll get sorted soon withe the kitchen, it does help having a functional one when tackling all this! As for the doc, well... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Good luck,
Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Martysw , I just wanted to address your liking of bread, there are a few companies in the UK that sell low carb bread on line. I use:

There are others, I haven’t used but other members here have:

Then there’s this company, but watch you choose from the LC section as they sell ‘normal’ bread too:

They all are unfortunately very expensive, but ok for the odd occasion.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I had a really bad few weeks taking Atorvastatin and Metformin at this time of year 7 years ago now. I stopped taking the tablets and then found out I never needed them.
I was determined that I was going to solve the problems, but just the thought of taking the tablets again boosted my willpower no end.
Low carb breads are possible and I have made a few nice loaves with lots of low carb fillers added to a normal dough, gently mixed in after the first proving and then left to recover for as long as it took. I tried a bread maker, but it just knocked all the puff out of the dough and it never recovered before the baking started.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Martysw

Did you go on 2000mg straight away or did you build up over a wee while, as that could cause your upset. Then again, a lot of folk react in similar ways. I was lucky to have a GP that put me on the Sukkarto prolonged release from the get go & built up gradually with no problems at all. So once you get to speak to your doc, mention that & hopefully that's the way you'll go.

Reactions: Andrew2018

Andrew2018

Hi All,

Common side effect, I had it. Switched over without any argument to the prolonged release type, issues went away immediately.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I started on 500mg of “normal” metformin and got similar symptoms to you along with splitting headaches.
I switched to slow release and over the years have increased the dosage to 1000mg twice a day, always with meals, and have had no problems.

Martysw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All.

Thanks for the replies and also the link to bread for that shall be worth an investigation for sure, I can not due to OID'ing some years back and now have truma and mental blocks means taking pyshical tablets is a non go so Slow/Modified releases will be no good for me sadly