Lose weight with Type 1

Ewb10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just wondering how people have best gone about losing weight with Type 1? I'm thinking of trying the lchf diet, but wondering what the pro's/con's are, as well as whether there are any better options.

I'm not overweight, just looking to lose half a stone to a stone for my personal preference.

Thank you in advance!

52O342UOIF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Calories in and out, that's the key. There's loads of recipes on /r/ketorecipes for low carb diets. Be ready to lower your basal when you cut down on the carbs.

Here's an interesting document about fat by the Credit Suisse Research Institute- interesting to read considering all the controversial statements about higher fat intake.

Weight loss does not rely on certain carb levels or manipulation of insulin, it relies on eating less. Don’t be scared that eating carbs will cause insulin to trap fat inside your fat cells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lchf is not primarily intended to be used for losing weight but to control blood sugar levels. Because of this weight loss is unpredictable. It is true that many people have lost weight while on lchf but this is almost a side effect and depends on what their previous eating habits were and how far away they were from lchf.

If you are not overweight now then perhaps just eating less and doing more exercise will help.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is only one way to lose weight if you are T1, and that's to reduce your insulin. I don't mean diabulimia, with which you lose weight, but also your hair, your eyes, your kidneys, etc and potentially your life! I mean that you either have to cut your insulin and reduce your intake of food, or you have to exercise enough that you require less insulin. Or both, of course. Since you are not really overweight, obviously the second option would be best for you. It will make you look and feel better and improve your fitness. There are lots of people on the Sport and Fitness boards here discussing such things, so you could join in there.

Ewb10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone and @RuthW I'm new to the forum so still trying to find my way around :)