Losing weight

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m trying to lose about 2 stone in weight, but I’m starting to get annoyed as I’m only losing a pound. I’m having a few more hypos in the night due to going to the gym.I’m just wondering how you lose weight and what sort
of things you eat as my diabetic nurse isn’t much help.

Thanks

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! have you done a carb counting course to learn to adjust insulin for activities, meals, exercise?
I did DAFNE in nov 2018, along with my libre sensor, 0.5 unit insulin pens and low carbing, I've been able to minimise hypos to some extent. If you haven't, you'll need to speak with your team to enquire about it.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on a Dafne course in October just want to get a head start really
That's great, have you seen a dietitian in the mean time? He or she might be able to give you a head start. However the carbs and cals book or app or the bertie online course could be a good starting point if you've been given a ratio to work with.
https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What kind of insulin regime are you on now? How do you decide how much insulin to inject?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I find weight loss problematic as a T1. (Don't you hate having to eat for hypos?) Reducing carbs and hence insulin helps a bit, but you have to be confident on how to adjust basal/bolus rates. Note that I am absolutely NOT suggesting that you reduce insulin and run blood sugars high. However much I want to lose weight, I'd rather carry the extra weight with normal blood sugars than go the skipping insulin route.
In my experience more exercise does reduce my need for basal and bolus insulin. I'd recommend getting advice on how much and what to reduce if you're getting night time hypos (we're not allowed to advise you here) but it's not rocket science (you want your basal to match your bed time and fasting levels to be roughly the same.
Good luck.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've had a 6 kg bounce since starting insulin. I've managed to lose 0.5 kg. It's slow, but I'm not really trying yet, just keeping my BS's stable and eating LCHF. Hope to be able to lose weight by eating healthily and not counting my calories. Only time will tell.