Lots of hypos - hot weather or something else?

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi everyone, over the last week or so, I've been experiencing hypos at least once, sometimes 2-3 times, a day. I thought it was related to the heat and tried dropping my Levemir - only by 1 unit, from my usual 14 to 13. I'm a big nervous about changing doses without speaking to my DN and can't speak to her til Monday now.

Have been low all afternoon inspite of a trip to the cinema with some popcorn and a licorice bar to bring my BG up! I did a fairly intensive hour of exercise this morning so injected just 2 units of Novorapid with breakfast (I usually take 4 on non-exercise days) and 3 units instead of usual 4 with lunch as I was running low.

Any suggestions? I'm about 2 months post T1 diagnosis. Could this be the honeymoon phase? The heat? Something else? Thanks.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It's prob a mixture of both to be honest.
If it were me I would lower the basal more as you do have the option to correct with the novorapid.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hard to say @Goldmum , the honeymon period can make your insulin requirements variable and hot weather can sometimes speed up insulin absorption (so I'm told). I had to consult forum members about 2 weeks ago when my BG dropped through the floor one morning on the way to work.

See what your DN says.

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What was the cause for you @urbanracer? Did you find out?

part of me is hoping that this has all been some big mistake and I don't actually have diabetes after all!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What was the cause for you @urbanracer? Did you find out?

part of me is hoping that this has all been some big mistake and I don't actually have diabetes after all!

I am still hoping that 6 months on, but the reality is that I had all the classic T1 symptoms and I know it really.

No did not find out. Most thought it was the heat, but,,, there have been warmer days since where nothing untoward has happened. Diabetes just likes to keep you on your toes!

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it too really! Just wishful thinking...
I've been feeling much better in the last couple of weeks and BG really stable - so guess it's just one of those things. Will speak to DN on Monday.