Low BG reading this morning - should I be worried?

LondonKiwi

Hello

I'm a newishly diagnosed Type 2. I take 2 Metformin 500g a day (one with breakfast, one with dinner).

This morning I took a reading 2 hours after breakfast and it was 4.4. My DN said my levels should be between 4.5 and 7. Should I be worried - or do something about this low level?

Thanks
Martin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
First of all what was your fassting level this morning ?

Secondly, what did you have for breakfast ?

Thirdly, did you do anything between waking and eating or after breakfast which could have had an effect on your Bg levels.

It may be that you are well controlled and your levels have just returned to pre breakfast readings which is really what you should want to do. However 4.4 mmol/l is lowish and I would want to be nearer 5-6 so that you stay away from levels which can drop into the hypoglycaemic area, anything below 4 mmol/l.

Ken

LondonKiwi

Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't do a Fasting test this morning - I forgot :oops: I haven't done much this morning - just drove the 50 miles to work.

For Breakfast I had a bowl of Fruit 'n Fibre (40g) with Skim Milk and a half glass of the Not From Concentrate Orange Juice.

Thanks
Martin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Martin.
Do you know what the carb content of all your breakfast items was, I am afraid I don't have my books to hand at the moment. What you ate should be OK but you might do a pre meal test (fasting) tomorrow. See what the reading is.

Driving, depending where you are can affect your Bg levels, stress ? I wouldn't worry too much but it does pay you to keep a close eye on levels as if you are low and then drive your concentration and skill levels can be affected. If I am driving any sort of distance I like my levels to be between 5-7 before setting out. Safety is always something we need to think about when running lower Bg levels.

Ken

C

catherinecherub

Hi Martin,
You need to keep a check on your blood sugars now until your next meal as you may go into hypo territory. Whilst 4.4 is a non diabetic reading, as Ken says it is borderline for hypo. Do you know how to correct this?
Looking at your meal, there is very little protein involved. Perhaps you could add some nuts and seeds to the mix to balance it out. It is best to incorporate all food groups into every meal.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

LondonKiwi

Thanks for the replies.

According to the Kelloggs Web-site there is 69g of Carbohydrates per 100g of Fruit 'n Fibre (sugars 24g, starch 45g). As I had 40g I calculate this to be around 28g of Carbohydrates.

I'm afraid I don't know whatI should do for a hypo.

Martin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
As you say your total meal was probably no more than 30g carbs......basically what I consume. No real problem there then.

As for a hypo......just carry some Glucotabs or Dextrose tablets around with you. If you start to get hypo symptoms then pop one or two and check your Bg levels 15 mins later. If OK have a small 'carby' snack to stabilise the Bg levels. If they are still low after the tabs etc then repeat the process and check ever 15 mins muntil they are more normal.

As a T2 on no hypo inducing drugs then there shouldn't really be a problem with this. If you do go too low then your liver should dump glucose into your blood and raise the levels for you. It's just that hypo symptoms can sometimes be debilitating in themselves so it pays to know what to do. There have been many posts on here about hypo's and what to do.....do a search of the forum with the keyword.....'hypo.'

Ken