Low BG with Libre 2

Mamamoose

Hi - Three weeks ago I started the trial of Libre 2 (and have since bought two more) in the hope that seeing my BG levels in real time would make me moderate my diet. It has worked brilliantly with exactly the effect I had hoped. I find if my level is 'green' it stops me eating unnecessarily and making better choices for meals. I know it is early days but have stopped eating between meals and I'm eating lower carbs which has resulted in my average BG now being in the 'green' range all day except for breakfast. (I'm working on that one!) When I started with Libre 2 ALL my BG levels were above the green. My estimated HbA1c has come down 16 points from my last blood test. Anyway, the last two nights I have dropped below 4 around 3am - last night I happened to wake and it was 2.9. Is this a problem? Also, I know I was told that if my BG reduces quickly it might affect my eyes, which is why they are contacting my ophthalmologist before prescribing a GLP1. Would doing this with diet have the same bad effect? Sorry I dont know how to add a profile - Type2 for 12 years on max dose of oral meds - Metformin 1000mg, Linagliptin, Dapagliflozin and statins.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyway, the last two nights I have dropped below 4 around 3am - last night I happened to wake and it was 2.9. Is this a problem?
I've used Libre for many years, and it's a very useful tool but not infallible.
Mine tend to read a bit lower than blood, and I don't believe I'm hypo if the Libre says so unless a fingerprick confirms, especially not at night.

Well done on being motivated to make better choices with the help of the Libre!

Reactions: EllieM

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve found using a Libre very enlightening. Your night time lows could be the result of lying on it, it’s called a compression low, not a true low, best to check with a finger prick.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - Three weeks ago I started the trial of Libre 2 (and have since bought two more) in the hope that seeing my BG levels in real time would make me moderate my diet. It has worked brilliantly with exactly the effect I had hoped. I find if my level is 'green' it stops me eating unnecessarily and making better choices for meals. I know it is early days but have stopped eating between meals and I'm eating lower carbs which has resulted in my average BG now being in the 'green' range all day except for breakfast. (I'm working on that one!) When I started with Libre 2 ALL my BG levels were above the green. My estimated HbA1c has come down 16 points from my last blood test. Anyway, the last two nights I have dropped below 4 around 3am - last night I happened to wake and it was 2.9. Is this a problem? Also, I know I was told that if my BG reduces quickly it might affect my eyes, which is why they are contacting my ophthalmologist before prescribing a GLP1. Would doing this with diet have the same bad effect? Sorry I dont know how to add a profile - Type2 for 12 years on max dose of oral meds - Metformin 1000mg, Linagliptin, Dapagliflozin and statins.
Could you post a screen shot on the graph with these “lows?” It could be a “compression low.” If you were asleep at the time.

But a compression low has a distinctive look on the graph.. unlike a real hypo.

Mamamoose

Thank you - that seems a rational explanation. I won't worry about it then as I do swap the side I sleep on throughout the night. It has definitely given me the motivation to eat more sensibly. I fill up on milky coffee (no sugar and I like it very weak so not too much caffeine) if I want something outside of meal times. Thank you

Mamamoose

This one of them.

Attachments

• IMG_3666.PNG
    IMG_3666.PNG
    115.3 KB · Views: 60

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This one of them.
Mmmm, OK?

It looks a little like a “compression low” to my eye. There is a drop rise drop, then rise? That starts around 4.15 am then comes out at 5.45?
But there can be a lag with the interstitial fluid with my insulin hypos with can drop then drop a little further even after treating with sugar then last for 45minutes before the reflection on the rise.. could be lying on it in deep sleep?
A blood glucose meter shows a rise within 20 minutes for me with a low. Blood & brain takes priority before interstitial fluid.

Can you take a fingerprick test the next time this happens, triggering the Libre low alarm? So to either back up my observations on your graph or disprove..?

Mamamoose

Mmmm, OK?

It looks a little like a “compression low” to my eye. There is a drop rise drop, then rise? That starts around 4.15 am then comes out at 5.45?
But there can be a lag with the interstitial fluid with my insulin hypos with can drop then drop a little further even after treating with sugar then last for 45minutes before the reflection on the rise.. could be lying on it in deep sleep?
A blood glucose meter shows a rise within 20 minutes for me with a low. Blood & brain takes priority before interstitial fluid.

Can you take a fingerprick test the next time this happens, triggering the Libre low alarm? So to either back up my observations on your graph or disprove..?
Thank you. It has happened the last three nights, the other two were around 4:30 and 5:30 - I really wish the graphs were easier to see the times! Unfortunately, they happen when I'm asleep, so can't finger prick, but I will if I happen to wake up when it's that low again. I dont have the low alarm set as I dont want to wake up my husband! Thank you for your help!