Low blood glucose and dizziness

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
A friend of mine told me her blood glucose was 4.something at times and that is why she felt dizzy. She said a doctor measure and told her to take more carb although she was T2.

I am quite sceptical that she feel dizzy because of her bg since I know she still eat carb food and is probably getting at least 100g carb a day.

I suspect her dizziness is due to sudden blood pressure fluctuations.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some drugs given for T2 can cause real hypos. And if testing shows them dropping down to 4 then eating a little more might make sense, or maybe talking to their doctor about cutting down on the drugs if they don't go too high in between.

Also, even if not drug related, it is possible to get symptoms that feel like a hypo if you are a T2 and usually have high blood sugar then it falls - when I first went low carb I felt like I was getting hypos if my blood sugar fell below 5.5. Persevering until my body got used to this means I'm usually around 4.5 in the mornings/before food now and feel fine.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My readings are 4 point something most of the time and I don’t get feelings of being hypo. It is possible your friend is experiencing false hypos if her sugars are swinging high then low. However it is all too easy to blame everything on Diabetes, so she might need to nag her dr to assess her again. You could maybe encourage her to get a home BP monitor to check out your theory. After low carbing for some months my BP dropped to the point of needing to stop one of my two BP meds due to dizzy spells, especially if I got up quickly.

Edit for typo

Reactions: millenium

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Some people do sometimes have low sugar levels regardless of meds etc. Yes, 4 is in the low region and having a few carbs when that low may be sensible. Just keep your overall BS level within a good range. What meds if any are you on?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If your friend is used to having high sugars a 4 can be a shock to the body.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Thanks for all the info. I will get more details from her. For now I just know she is on high blood pressure med.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get dizzy when I have a hypo which is in the 2s or 3s. It can be quite disconcerting and feeling dizzy is usually the first symptom of a hypo, for me.