low blood sugar

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
ok this id odd at 9.30am i was 5.2 then had eggs and oats its now 11.30 its 4.5 so after eating this morning its gone down again. i wil take reading again at 12 before i eat again and then again after. also mite add i have drank about 1 L of water after first meal could that have some how effected the reading?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok this id odd at 9.30am i was 5.2 then had eggs and oats its now 11.30 its 4.5 so after eating this morning its gone down again. i wil take reading again at 12 before i eat again and then again after. also mite add i have drank about 1 L of water after first meal could that have some how effected the reading?

Non-diabetics run in the 4s and for some, in the 3s, for large periods of time. Please, please, don't be transfixed on numbers beginning in 4. Pay attention to how you feel and anything in the low 3s or lower.

Have you looked at how things work for non-diabetics? A google search on normo-glycaemia might be helpful

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
i feel better when in the 5 to 6. when i get to 4.5 i dont feel that great. will have a look now

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I've just logged on as I'm on dinner.. I've done a bit of reading up on what MIGHT be happening.
I think that you have some condition called Alimentary hypoglycaemia.
By your description you dump food quickly into your system and then you hypo because of that!
Wikipedia do a good description of it!
Have you got in touch with your GP?

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
will have a look now just did another test its now at 4.6 am going to eat now just oats and protein shake with 0 sugar in it will post test in a hour or so

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i feel better when in the 5 to 6. when i get to 4.5 i dont feel that great. will have a look now

Fine. Some people don't feel at their best in the 4s. But, my comment would be that if your bloods are going low and you are losing weight, try eating more before deciding you're ill. You could just be systematically starving yourself.

Instead of carbs and water, why not have something with more meaningful nutrition, like some cheese, eggs, nuts, scrambled eggs, bacon and eggs; just as examples? Those types of foods tend to give a smoother blood score profile than carbs which can create higher rises and deeper troughs.

Have you ever spoken with your doctor about this, or are you purely self-diagnosing?

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
had a look cant find very much on Alimentary hypoglycaemia?

yes my first meal was oats with scrabbled eggs made in olive oil.

just had oats with a protein shake and

later i will have pasta a beef again like i did last night

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
i just got some urine test sticks have used then a few times now. never any trace of glucose in the urine. i also have urine ph ones aswell the urine ph is about 7.5 more alkline never acidic

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i just got some urine test sticks have used then a few times now. never any trace of glucose in the urine. i also have urine ph ones aswell the urine ph is about 7.5 more alkline never acidic

Glucose will only show in urine at 10+, so you're unlikely to see any of that, I'd have thought. Did you buy your urine strips? I'm trying to understand where your belief of your hypoglycaemia has come from.

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
read the thread from the very first post save me going thro it all over again. had oats and protein shake just did bloods again its now 5.8 so going to see how long it takes to come back down. some time i have eating a 15 later its gone down it makes no sense atall

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
read the thread from the very first post save me going thro it all over again. had oats and protein shake just did bloods again its now 5.8 so going to see how long it takes to come back down. some time i have eating a 15 later its gone down it makes no sense atall

Everyone, but everyone will have bloods going up and down as they eat and fast. What can matter, in certain circumstances is how high they climb and how low they drop.

How long have you been eating as you described at the beginning of the thread? How long have you been losing weight? What were you at your heaviest, and when was that? How long have you been feeling unwell? What steps, other than the urine strips have you taken to try to get to the bottom of things?

Sorry for all the questions, but some of them may be important.

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
weight loss started as a kid about 5 ish i couldnt gain any weight when i was 18 i looked liked like a living corspe at 20 i joned the gym and started eating so much food every day till i was sick non stop eating i did gain a little i was taking in about 7000 cals aday and would still lose weight. so its been going on all my life really i tryed all kinds of eating and still find it hard to keep my weight up am 13 stone at the mo if i cut back on food or go back to work i can lose 2 stone in say a matter of weeks. i got a blood glucose machine think it was about 14 days ago now. in that time there has been time about 4 or so were it went in to the 2 range. when it gets in to the 4 range i start feeling no to great. the blood suger level never goes high but drops off pretty fast. i then feel cold i had thyroid test done last year is was on the very high side but in range but like i said on the limit of high.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That highish thyroid goes a long way towards explaining things.
Just because it is just within the normal range doesn't mean that it is optimal for you.

Do you eat vegetables?
Only the menus you describe contain carbs, protein, some fat, a little fruit, but I can't remember seeing any veg.
It's the fibre in veg that helps (as well as the nutrition, of course). The more fibre you eat, the more it slows the rise and fall of blood sugar, helping to prevent the sharp drops that cause hypos.

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
i wonder if there is any meds to slow it down the thyroid that is. i agree over this but the doc said it was with in range it was on the limit of high. yes i do eat very clean inc veg and fruit am going to ask for the thyroid to be done again if i stop eating i would end up looking like some one from the 3rd world in no time atall

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i wonder if there is any meds to slow it down the thyroid that is. i agree over this but the doc said it was with in range it was on the limit of high. yes i do eat very clean inc veg and fruit am going to ask for the thyroid to be done again if i stop eating i would end up looking like some one from the 3rd world in no time atall

Bottom line is, you need to see your doctor. With the best will in the world, nobody here can diagnose you with anything.

I would suggest you eat plenty, concentrating on protein, fats and then adding carbs, to try to keep your bloods fairly even. Eating lots of carbs will highlight the rises and falls.

I went to Uni with someone who needed to eat the most unbelievable amount of food; just to function. She was extremely slim/thin, but was completely healthy - provided she took her calories on board.

Perhaps you do have hypoglycaemia or hyperthyroidism, but you are not being very clever if you think we will give you anything but best guesses. Only by running some tests, and you doing your bit by eating properly will you get to the bottom of this. If you need lots of calories to stand still, I don't see where you're getting them from, from your initial posts. You need to be part of the solution, and minimise your chances of being part of the problem.

I hope you get some light on this soon. But come back and let us know what your doctor says.

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
soon as my lead turns up i will go the docs with the print out unless you could live in my body for a few days you would see what am on about its pretty harsh the non stop eating its mince beef and pasta for tea tonight i had this last night seemed to keep the blood sugar up the longest i have seen so far i will up date as time goes on

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Because of Christmas I doubt you will get to see your doc. I will say again, you need to see a doc, go to A&E.
You are only hurting yourself and you are deluding yourself that without direct medical intervention that you can gain control. You are dismissive of people trying to help you.
You have no control you are grasping at straws to not do anything except eat more things that are only harming you.
I have done everything I can to help until you help yourself properly, I will not post any more. I have never done that before, but I think I'm wasting my time.
You do not digest carbs properly, you hypo, you are not getting better, you need help, go get it!
Best wishes

Nosher

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Because of Christmas I doubt you will get to see your doc. I will say again, you need to see a doc, go to A&E.
You are only hurting yourself and you are deluding yourself that without direct medical intervention that you can gain control. You are dismissive of people trying to help you.
You have no control you are grasping at straws to not do anything except eat more things that are only harming you.
I have done everything I can to help until you help yourself properly, I will not post any more. I have never done that before, but I think I'm wasting my time.
You do not digest carbs properly, you hypo, you are not getting better, you need help, go get it!
Best wishes

Nosher
at this point we dont know if you are rite or wrong i will go the docs but i need to go with the results i do agree there is something wrong

danben123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
ok a update i have been the docs they are doing a thyroid test again and a 14 hour fasting blood suger test along its booked in now for the 16 of jan. just out of intrest i was getting a little bored with the oats so i got so rice flakes its like oats but for people who cant eat gluten and wheat, any how i made some last night bloody hell my blood suger went up to 19.4 and then back down to 5.3 15 mins later i know short grain white rice has a high gi level but this stuff must have been like eating a bowel of pure sugar never seen it that high ever. this morning i had a fasting blood suger level of 4.3 had half oats and half of this rice flakes likes like baby food when cooked that was at 930am at 10am the blood sugar was 9.8 at 11 it was 8.7 at 11.20 it was 7.9 so coming down seem i have found a food that raises the blood sugar crazy high super fast.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Rice is one of those foods that plays tricks with us. It can spike early, or it can spike late, sometimes at 3 or 4 hours after.

Good news about the thyroid test and the 14 hour fasting test.