Low Carb Advice Please

kayleigh599

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am 23 Years old and have Type 1 diabetes. I have had diabetes for nearly 4 years. I am desperate to lose weight and have noticed since being diagnosed as Diabetic I find it hard to lose weight (I also have a underactive thyroid).
I have trued losing weight previously but want to try losing weight through low carb.
I have read a bit on it but struggling to think of what to actually eat to aid my weightloss especially when I am in work so would love some ideas I am mostly struggling with breakfast and dinner.
I work as a nursery nurse so work 5 days a week and for usually 11 hours a day so in the Morning I dont really get much time to be cooking something fresh each and every morning. So is there something quick and easy I could cook or prepare the night before?
Also not sure what I could take for lunch for work so I only have a 30 minute lunch break and do have a microwave I can use what would be nice and filling for work but important that it includes no nuts as we have a strict no nut policy in my workplace.
What kind of snacks in work could I eat also I usually take fruit is there something better I could be eating for snacks?.
Any advice would be great as I am new to this and want to be good and stick too it.

Thanks for reading

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs, cold meats of any kind.. omelettes pre made. Pork scratchings for some crunch. Many forms of salads low carb soups.. have you looked at www.dietdoctor.com for some ideas? Loads of low carb stuff there and quite a bit portable too. Good luck!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Tagging @Mel dCP who may be able to give advice with regards to tweaking your insulin. Good luck.

Reactions: Paul41

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am 23 Years old and have Type 1 diabetes. I have had diabetes for nearly 4 years. I am desperate to lose weight and have noticed since being diagnosed as Diabetic I find it hard to lose weight (I also have a underactive thyroid).
I have trued losing weight previously but want to try losing weight through low carb.
I have read a bit on it but struggling to think of what to actually eat to aid my weightloss especially when I am in work so would love some ideas I am mostly struggling with breakfast and dinner.
I work as a nursery nurse so work 5 days a week and for usually 11 hours a day so in the Morning I dont really get much time to be cooking something fresh each and every morning. So is there something quick and easy I could cook or prepare the night before?
Also not sure what I could take for lunch for work so I only have a 30 minute lunch break and do have a microwave I can use what would be nice and filling for work but important that it includes no nuts as we have a strict no nut policy in my workplace.
What kind of snacks in work could I eat also I usually take fruit is there something better I could be eating for snacks?.
Any advice would be great as I am new to this and want to be good and stick too it.

Thanks for reading

Kayleigh - Could you please just confirm you ar comfortable adjusting your insulin doses, as reducing carb intake most often results in changing insulin requirements.

Breakfast - cooked bacon, or cooked sausages, pre-cooked egg bites. Full fat Greek yoghurt. Cheese. Previous night's leftovers.

Lunches - Soups, home made casseroles, any of the suggested breakfast foods. Anything tapas or antipasti. Last night's leftovers. Cooked chicken drummers, or thighs.

Just because something isn't a usual breakfast (orr whatever) food, it doesn't mean it's not on the menu

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tag, @Guzzler :)

I have a “bug-out” lunch bag I can grab each day if I get a call from my agency to work that day - in it I keep a pouch of olives, a pack of pumpkin seeds, a set of cutlery, salt and pepper - and in the fridge I keep packs of Quorn slices (I don’t eat meat), smoked salmon and hard boiled eggs. I can just grab something for lunch and go. Sometimes I’ll chuck some sheep or goat cheese chunks in too.

I don’t tend to eat breakfast.

I eat low carb/keto at <30g a day but unfortunately I’ve put on weight doing it - even though my BG levels are now practically non-diabetic. It seems for me the better my diabetes control, the more weight I put on. I’m reducing the amount of fat quite drastically to see if that will help me lose some.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi @kayleigh599 I’m not T1 but a T1 guy your age edits a website called Diatribe which is packed with stuff, including his blog (Adam’s Corner I think), from which I learned about chia pudding. Take a look there for peer experiences, and stay here for many more of the same. The support here is fantastic!
Best of luck!

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are using humalog or other ultra-rapid insulin, you may find it more difficult to lose weight than if you are using regular insulin, as rapid was made for, and therefore necessitates, a high glycemic index (GI) diet. With regular insulin, you can eat plenty meat and salads without bottoming out. To lose weight, you need to reduce fat and eat low-GI. The reason is simple math: There are 9-Kcal/gm from fat --- carbs and protein are 4Kcal/gm (less than half that of fat).

Kay25

So I don't really have meal ideas like you wanted but I would recommend counting carbs. If you look at nutrition facts you look at how many carbs you're having minus any fiber present to get your carb total. It will take some work to figure out how many carbs you're eating in a day and more time to figure out what number works for you. Keto recommends under 50g a day, while personally I've found that currently 30g a meal has been working for me. I'll gradually bring that number down.

Then just work on replacing high carb things with alternatives. I really like buying cauliflower crusts so I can have a seriously low carb pizza, and I've replaced my milk with almond milk. If I know I'm going to be eating a bigger carb meal that day I'll have a protein shake with chia seeds and almond milk so my total is still acceptable for the day. The chia seeds are very filling for me.

I'd start with just slowly replacing things you already eat with a lower carb version, like switching from white bread to whole wheat, or substituting pasta for spaghetti squash or carrot noodles.