low carb and being muscular

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Just curious, is there anyone on low carb (like 50-100g a day) and lift weights to build muscles? Can it be successful with little carb intake?

Any comments are welcome.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has been on a low carb (typically 30g a day or less) for almost five years. The initial weight loss revealed a long suspected almost total absence of any muscle. (Yes, I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean.). He then started weight lifting, with the aid of an instructor. While, in his late 60's nobody is expecting a six-pack and a Mr Universe build, he has built up very good muscles and strength for his age. You don't need sugar/carbs to build muscle.
Sally

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just curious, is there anyone on low carb (like 50-100g a day) and lift weights to build muscles? Can it be successful with little carb intake?

Any comments are welcome.
I am not the best person to reply to this, as I am a skinny 75 year old woman, but I do my best to build up my muscles. I was never meant to be Arnie and I have had a lot of time off from training lately, but I am convinced that my body still responds to training, both aerobic and strength, despite my very low carb diet (<30g carbs daily). I believe that the most important thing is to keep up one's calory intake. Extra to my carb allowance I consume some quick acting carbs before running and some cheese and walnuts after weight training. They don't seem to spike my bg at all. I might not do this if I was not so thin, but I really don't want to risk dipping into my fat stores.

Don't be discouraged, go ahead and train and do let us know how you get on in the forum on "Fitness, Exercise and Sport" further down the page. You might even want to repeat your query there.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You need protein for growth and repair of muscular tissues.

Reactions: millenium

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My grandson is for the most part is zero carb or very very low carb he is not diabetic but is a bodybuilder and is massive 20 inch biceps now in the gym nearly every day carbs are not needed to build or maintain muscles. They simply provide energy, which can be obtained by other means.

Actually his mantra toward me these days is grandad you need to eat more protein your too skinny.