Low Carb and High Cholesterol

frandia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed Type 2 in April. I'm 68, my family has a history of high BP and cholesterol and a brother and sister died as a result of strokes. The blood test that diagnosed my diabetes also revealed a cholesterol level of 5.19 which the practice nurse told me was quite good.I was put on 1x500mg Metformin and told to continue with my then diet and exercise regimes which were deemed to be very good. But my BG readings continued to be unsatisfactory and I was prescribed 2x500 Metformin on 13 May.

My first HbA1c on 28 July was 7.2. I was not happy and then somebody on the forum mentioned Dr Bernstein. I bought the book and was converted to low carb and have now had an HbA1c of 5.8 which I bought online through Menarini Diagnostics(£16.95 and very quick) and then 5.7 at my local surgery. So 3 cheers for low carbing. Or so I thought.

The last HbA1c test also brought a total cholesterol result of 5.11 and an HDL of 1.6 but this time a different nurse said I'd haveto work hard to get the total score below 4.0! I seem to have won the carb war but my carb diet has increased my fat intake through main meals centred on beef, pork, lamb, chicken etc with low carb veg and breakfast simply a boiled egg. The nurse prescribed a rise in my Simvastatin dose to 80mg to combat the cholesterol.

I'm horrified but don't know what to do! Any suggestions would be great about diet because I don't want to give up low carbing because I know it works but I really want to get the Simvastatin dose down as well as the Metformin if low carbing keeps bringing down my BG(my 30 day average on my Contour meter is now 5.3). Sorry to be so long winded but I really wanted to show my dilemma.
frandia

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I used to be a proper low carber plus higher fat levels. What that did to my Cholesterol levels was increase them from 3.2 before to 5 after LC'ing for a month or so. I too was concerned.

There is a school of thought that it will increase when you begin low carbing and then drop back down again......I wasn't prepared to accept that risk. I have had a triple by pass Heart Op so I look after my Heart and Cardiovascular system as well as my Diabetes.

Therefore I ditched the high fat and went back to my previous low fat diet, together with the low carbs, no more than about 50-80g daily. The result, the Cholesterol level dropped back to 3.2 and has stayed there ever since. Draw your own conclusions....... :D

wallycorker

Hi Frandia,

I am some where in between similar to Ken. I've always been careful with keeping my fats low - especially saturated fat - but also I've reduced my carbohydrate intake quite sharply but until this week to around an average of 150g per day. Now I'm reducing it further because I want to try to get my HbA1c below 5%. At present, I'm eating around 90g per day but still getting further improvements in blood glucose levels.

My last total cholesterol was 3.1 but I can never seem to get my HDL higher than 1.0 to 1.3. As regards your cholesterol numbers the look good to me - especially the HDL at 1.6 which is by the way having some effect in raising your total cholesterol.

People tell me that trigycerides is the most important lipid number. Do you know your reading?

Best wishes - John

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Frandia
I'm a strict VERY low carber. I often go several days with no visible carbs at all. I find this quite easy nowadays, because I'm so used to it.
My fat intake is QUITE high, I think. I'e not counted, However my last Cholesterol was LDL1.2, HDL 1.9, Triglycerides 0.6, which comes out at Total cholesterol 3.4.
This is well in the desirable ranges. total cholesterol alone isn't actually very useful. You need to know HDL, which SHOULD be above 1 and as high as possible. AND Triglycerides, which should be LOW.
You see that a high total, with a high HDL could be a good thing
Hana
Ps last Hba1c was 5.3%