low carb cereal is there one?

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely I can't keep having bacon n eggs, or fry up for brekkie. I'm not mad on yoghurt but especially at 6am. Is there any low carb ish muesli, cereal or whatever I can try or make - oh and bread I could make that's doesn't have linseed in .

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You may get fed up of bacon and eggs, how about an omelette with prawns, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. The only way to know if you can tolerate porridge is to test. Cereals are usually made of junk anyway - its processed.

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I believe if you search IanD's porridge you'll find a recipe to make your own.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've seen some low carb cookbooks have suggestions but they do usually have linseeds in them (foul things!) Rose Elliot has a granola recipe which might be worth trying without the linseeds. It has coconut, seeds and almonds otherwise. Perhaps you could mix them together and experiment? That would be muesli-ish. (Actually I might try it myself now I've thought of it).

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunspots many thanks, I shall try those scones, I like smoked salmon as well.

Talking of ground almond, I have gone through 1kg bag in 4 weeks and 1/4 way through the 2nd bag lol. I bought mine from worldwide foods in rusholme, Manchester, £7.49 a kilo bag, coconut flour was £2 odd and huge bags of loads of other nuts, no linseed / flax seed tho.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I make granola. Get a mixture of nuts and seeds, whack them in the food processor, mix with desicated coconut and ground linseed. Roast on 160 for 30 mins. I have it with yoghurt and raspberries. Very nice

Reactions: 7 people

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh Sam jb sounds good. That's another to try. I spend more time cooking now than I ever did before lol

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I've copied this from an old post of mine, giving some brekkie options.
There is soooo much more to life than cereal :hungover:

Green smoothies
Home made easi yo yogurt, Greek or stevia sweetened,
Scrambled egg with mattersons smoked sausage
Sliced ham and cheese (the quickest and easiest ever! Don't even need a plate)
Low carb cake (basically almond flour, egg, apple, cinnamon and xylitol)
Fruit and yoghurt
Yoghurt and low carb muesli
Coffee with double cream
Bullet proof coffee (google it. Yum)
Omelette
Spanish omelette
Cheese
Ham spread with Philadelphia and rolled into a tube (very portable)
Get Up And Go by Patrick Holford
Almased
Home made hot chocolate (cocoa powder, double cream, xylitol)
Grilled open mushrooms with cheese (or ham, or mattersons sausage)
Smoked salmon (without bagel)
Bacon and egg
Sausages
Fried breakfast (minus toast, hash browns and fried bread)
Livlife bread as toast
Low carb biscuits (made with almond flour not wheat flour)
Low carb pancakes (made with coconut flour or pumpkin and almond flour)
Anything you eat at other meals.

Recently, I have added crust less quiche to the list - heavenly.

Admittedly, most of these are only practical at weekends when you have more time, but they are ALL better than cereal!

On work days, for me, it is usually ham and cheese, a green smoothie, or yoghurt and fruit, or bullet proof coffee.

Wendycbyrne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone - I am new to this forum and also a reasonably newly diagnosed T2 diabetic (4 months worth of experience). I am on a FB forum called Ihttps://www.facebook.com/groups/t2dcoachingsupport/ (hope the link works. The guy who created the page Thor has helped me immensely, giving me loads of recipes and ideas of what I should eat. I am following a LCHF diet (low carbs high (natural) fat). In the four months I have reduced my BG from over 20 to a stable 6. Now I just need to shift some pounds - I discovered yesterday that the yogurts I had been eating were full of sugar....... seriously considering buying the Easiyo and making my own. Anyway to answer the question -

Low Carb Cereal by Thor -
1/2 cup ground almonds,
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder
pinch of salt
Sweetener is optional (I don't use any, but add a good tblsp cinnamon)

I use a bag of chopped almonds and a bag of chopped walnuts instead of the whole ones that need chopped.

Place all the ingredients except the nuts in a bowel and mix, drizzle in boiling water until completely combined. Mix in the nuts and bake in a medium oven until all the water is baked off.

I have this regularly with some almond or coconut milk and a little double cream.

Hope you enjoy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi everyone - I am new to this forum and also a reasonably newly diagnosed T2 diabetic (4 months worth of experience). I am on a FB forum called Ihttps://www.facebook.com/groups/t2dcoachingsupport/ (hope the link works. The guy who created the page Thor has helped me immensely, giving me loads of recipes and ideas of what I should eat. I am following a LCHF diet (low carbs high (natural) fat). In the four months I have reduced my BG from over 20 to a stable 6. Now I just need to shift some pounds - I discovered yesterday that the yogurts I had been eating were full of sugar....... seriously considering buying the Easiyo and making my own. Anyway to answer the question -

Low Carb Cereal by Thor -
1/2 cup ground almonds,
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder
pinch of salt
Sweetener is optional (I don't use any, but add a good tblsp cinnamon)

I use a bag of chopped almonds and a bag of chopped walnuts instead of the whole ones that need chopped.

Place all the ingredients except the nuts in a bowel and mix, drizzle in boiling water until completely combined. Mix in the nuts and bake in a medium oven until all the water is baked off.

I have this regularly with some almond or coconut milk and a little double cream.

Hope you enjoy

Wendy it's easy to make yogurt without packets.
just heat some milk and cook until you've reduced the volume by about 1/3. Allow to cool to blood heat, [about 35 -40 deg C] Add a couple of tablespoons of live yogurt from a tub[ buy in supermarket]. Keep warm for 12 hours [ovrernight] and Voila yogurt! Add your own berries.
Hana

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brunneria, what exactly is in a green smoothie? Sounds good as a breakfast option for someone who hates eggs, yoghurt and cooking :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, what exactly is in a green smoothie? Sounds good as a breakfast option for someone who hates eggs, yoghurt and cooking :)

Hi,

Green smoothies are weird. Lol. They are the brainchild of someone (forget their name, but a google search will throw it up in seconds) who thinks they are fantastic nutrition (and they are) and delicious (again, YES!)

Basically, fruit smoothies are delicious, aren't they? But they are terrible for diabetics, because of all the fruit juice and fruit.
BUT
If you choose sensible fruit and make them with some mild tasting veg (and always including leafy green veg like spinach or kale), then you get all the nutrition, without the blood sugar spikes because the extra fibre in the veg slows the digestion down, so you stay full for longer, and your BG stays nice and low.

This is my typical green smoothie recipe, and it spikes my BG by about 1.5. It tastes of pineapple and cherry, is delicious, and keeps me full for about 3 hours. I usually have half at breakfast and the other half for a late elevenses, or part of lunch.

1/3 punnet frozen cherries (or any berry)
1/3 punnet frozen pineapple (could use a couple of apples instead)
Double handful of fresh spinach
1 medium courgette
6 macadamia nuts or 1/4 avocado (makes it creamy without needing dairy products)
Enough water to make the required texture, like a milkshake.

Blend till smooth, serve cold.

Here are some other diabetic-suitable green smoothie recipes.
http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/...s/green-smoothie-recipes-for-type-2-diabetes/

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds really good. Next time I hit Tesco I'll have to get the ingredients and see what it does to my sugar level. Am T1 so I'll need to figure how much novo needs to go with it too. I love pineapple it's the best food in the world IMHO but not great for the blood sugar on its own. If this works ok I'll be eternally grateful :) :) x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds really good. Next time I hit Tesco I'll have to get the ingredients and see what it does to my sugar level. Am T1 so I'll need to figure how much novo needs to go with it too. I love pineapple it's the best food in the world IMHO but not great for the blood sugar on its own. If this works ok I'll be eternally grateful :) :) x

Forgot to mention, there's supposed to be a perfect balance of veg to fruit in a green smoothie (in terms of nutrition, fibre and BG impact) I think it is 60% veg and 40% fruit. Which is an easy rough guide.

You can fine tune your personal recipe to, say, 65% veg, if that is better for BG...

Enjoy.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love this but it has disappeared from the shelf at Tesco, where do you get yours from?

Karen
It's featured on the Asda website as a stocked product - both original and treacle & pecan