Type 2 Low carb challenge

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I got an email last week regarding this and did the shopping and started last Friday I think but have found eating two meals with meat too much and far too much fat in the food.
I was told fat replaces carbs you are missing to help you feel full up.

But I felt. Bloated all the time and my tummy can’t handle a lot of fat so I was having real problems but have taken recipe ideas from them but lessening or leaving out the fat has anyone else had this experience please.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
As I am older, I don't need to eat so many calories. My diet is moderate fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate and high green food. This seems to suit me very well, and it's just a matter to adapting eating regimes to suit your own tastes and of course to ensure you appease the dreaded Meter. I would like to lose a bit more weight, to get to the lower end of the safe limit of my BMI, as I store a lot of internal fat, but once I get there I will use nuts and seeds to maintain my weight. Macadamias - Can't wait!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sitting here having eaten a good helping of Greek yoghurt (drizzled with some berry jam that is only moderately sweetened with artificial sweetners) followed by a handful of walnuts and it has certainly filled me up. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I got an email last week regarding this and did the shopping and started last Friday I think but have found eating two meals with meat too much and far too much fat in the food.

But I felt. Bloated all the time and my tummy can’t handle a lot of fat so I was having real problems but have taken recipe ideas from them but lessening or leaving out the fat has anyone else had this experience please.

is it the Diet Doctor low carb challenge you are doing? If so then, yes, several of us have done it but i can't remember anyone who managed to eat ALL the meals for the whole two weeks. In my case I found the amount of cream, butter and cabbage overwhelming and cut it back to just breakfast and dinner.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. When low carbing there are no rules on how much fat and protein you eat. It sounds like you need to reduce the fat to meet your taste. The main thing is to keep feeling reasonably full and not starving yourself

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
is it the Diet Doctor low carb challenge you are doing? If so then, yes, several of us have done it but i can't remember anyone who managed to eat ALL the meals for the whole two weeks. In my case I found the amount of cream, butter and cabbage overwhelming and cut it back to just breakfast and dinner.
Thank you Chook.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. When low carbing there are no rules on how much fat and protein you eat. It sounds like you need to reduce the fat to meet your taste. The main thing is to keep feeling reasonably full and not starving yourself
Thank you Daibell

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As I am older, I don't need to eat so many calories. My diet is moderate fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate and high green food. This seems to suit me very well, and it's just a matter to adapting eating regimes to suit your own tastes and of course to ensure you appease the dreaded Meter. I would like to lose a bit more weight, to get to the lower end of the safe limit of my BMI, as I store a lot of internal fat, but once I get there I will use nuts and seeds to maintain my weight. Macadamias - Can't wait!
Thank you for your reply

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
my tummy can’t handle a lot of fat
Out of curiosity because I may have a similar problem (I'm 58), does too much fat cause you tummy upsets? Sometimes I run back and forth non-stop for hours after eating. Initially I suspected metformin, but now I'm not so sure anymore. You don't have to let me and the world into the secret, of course, but thanks if you do :)

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Out of curiosity because I may have a similar problem (I'm 58), does too much fat cause you tummy upsets? Sometimes I run back and forth non-stop for hours after eating. Initially I suspected metformin, but now I'm not so sure anymore. You don't have to let me and the world into the secret, of course, but thanks if you do :)
Metformin did make me run to toilet a lot, it was mostly thirty minutes after a meal. If I eat a lot of fat I do get a bad tummy so I have now tweaked meals and use less fat now.
Yes it does has for quite a few years so when I am out and say I have a salad I ask them not to put oil on it and they usually are very helpful.
But since being on low carb I no longer am on Metformin so it has been very good for my diabetes and weight.
I have to twerk all receipes that have a lot of fat for my own benefit. I am ,71 briped

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have had nearly 7 successful years of moderate fat, moderate protein, low-ish carbs. Its what works for me. We are all different, and the higher fats and too much protein make me feel over full. Do what works for you as a whole person.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I'm the opposite. It appears the lower I get my carbs the better (have days below 10g and tempted with full carnivore), but I can fill my boots with fat without issue.

Butter in coffee as example.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was trying to follow the low challenge and doing what it said but felt bloated all the time and just couldn’t keep to three meals a day, so after looking at peoples ideas and support.I have decided to use receipes but not using so much fat or protein but having just breakfast and evening meal. Keeping carbs as low as I can and making my own low carb bread.
So low fat
Moderate protien
And more low carb vegetables .

Reactions: briped

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those troubled by eating more fat than their body can cope with, you might find looking up Streatohhhoea to be worrthwhile.

Personally, I can eat fat, but if I go OTT, for me, then I suffer, and even I don't want to be around me. The advice I was given at the time, by an HCP was just to trim back on the fat a bit, to find my thershold.

Just take it steady. :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Metformin did make me run to toilet a lot, it was mostly thirty minutes after a meal. If I eat a lot of fat I do get a bad tummy so I have now tweaked meals and use less fat now.
Yes it does has for quite a few years so when I am out and say I have a salad I ask them not to put oil on it and they usually are very helpful.
But since being on low carb I no longer am on Metformin so it has been very good for my diabetes and weight.
I have to twerk all receipes that have a lot of fat for my own benefit. I am ,71 briped
Thanks so much, Motherhen. Yes the 30 min after a meal tallies with my experience too, so I've stopped making an effort to reach my approx. 100g of fat per day. Will follow your example and find my own threshold. I'd really struggled to find a pattern and a solution, but your first post brought me on the track. I hope it's the right one :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing the diet doctor keto challenge and I have certainly found it too much fat - I've just reduced the fatty stuff to what I prefer - I'm not keen on cream so modify any dishes that have it - I just eat enough of everything to satisfy- some people love the fat some don't - do what is right for you :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
you might find looking up Streatohhhoea to be worrthwhile.
Thanks DCUKmod, but I never should have looked it up. Now I've got any number of very grave diseases from pancreatitis to cancer of the pancreas to ... Someone get me another cup of tea ;)
by an HCP was just to trim back on the fat a bit, to find my thershold.
And that's exactly what I'll do, or at least no longer attempt to eat the amounts I should. By the way, isn't it spelled 'Thershhhhold'?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm doing the diet doctor keto challenge and I have certainly found it too much fat - I've just reduced the fatty stuff to what I prefer - I'm not keen on cream so modify any dishes that have it - I just eat enough of everything to satisfy- some people love the fat some don't - do what is right for you :)
True. I'm not a big lover of fat, and as it would seem and more importantly, neither is my tummy.
Out of curiosity, and this must be difficult to answer, but did you get the results you were hoping for from the keto challenge?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True. I'm not a big lover of fat, and as it would seem and more importantly, neither is my tummy.
Out of curiosity, and this must be difficult to answer, but did you get the results you were hoping for from the keto challenge?
I've had really good results so far - although I'm erring on the side of caution meds wise as I've tried it before and after a month my bs began to rise and not come down so had to take back a small amount of gliclizide and up my carbs a little - but so far

This is day 23 on keto
11lb weight loss
Dropped all my meds except metformin
I'm not getting the more energy thing that people report - I do feel a bit more tired late afternoon
Numbers are between high 4s to mid 5s with a couple of mid 6s - not sure why the mid 6s think it might be when I've had too much cheese. Mostly they are smooth though without spikes (testing 7 times a day)
So far I'm very happy with it and enjoying it (mostly lol)