Low carb diet and antidepressants

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Many, many people have had a tough time over the last couple of years. One of my teenage children became very unwell and the last year and a half has effectively seen me become a carer much of the time. When I struggled to cope I started taking sertraline antidepressants, they have helped enormously.
Unfortunately, a side effect is raised blood sugar levels. They also can cause a dry mouth. The increased thirst, dry mouth and urgency/ incontinence of bladder and bowel came on gradually but the blurred vision left me in no doubt. My bg was over 11 mmol/l.
I have controlled today successfully since August 2020 with low carb diet. My gp has arranged a host of blood tests, hba1c, thyroid etc.
I tried metformin when first diagnosed and was nauseous and switched to low carb diet which worked, until now.
I'll wait for blood test results to come back but expect that medication for today may now be prudent ( not metformin though). I just wondered whether others have had similar experiences. I haven't posted in such a long time as the illness of my child has been such a dominating factor. I've found the forum so helpful in the past and really valued the support and kindness of people in this community. Best wishes

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
* T2D not "today"

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
* T2D not "today"
I'm sorry you and your child are having such a hard time.

As for the typo, there should be an 'Edit' button right below your post, much easier than correcting in a reaction. ;)

Wish you well, and I hope things will get a bit better shortly.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm sorry you and your child are having such a hard time.

As for the typo, there should be an 'Edit' button right below your post, much easier than correcting in a reaction. ;)

Wish you well, and I hope things will get a bit better shortly.
Thanks Antje77. I have adapted and am coping, lots of people have it far worse and I’m sure in time things will be better. I am fortunate in so many ways and have wonderful people close by ( and a furry companion too). Wishing you well too x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many, many people have had a tough time over the last couple of years. One of my teenage children became very unwell and the last year and a half has effectively seen me become a carer much of the time. When I struggled to cope I started taking sertraline antidepressants, they have helped enormously.
Unfortunately, a side effect is raised blood sugar levels. They also can cause a dry mouth. The increased thirst, dry mouth and urgency/ incontinence of bladder and bowel came on gradually but the blurred vision left me in no doubt. My bg was over 11 mmol/l.
I have controlled today successfully since August 2020 with low carb diet. My gp has arranged a host of blood tests, hba1c, thyroid etc.
I tried metformin when first diagnosed and was nauseous and switched to low carb diet which worked, until now.
I'll wait for blood test results to come back but expect that medication for today may now be prudent ( not metformin though). I just wondered whether others have had similar experiences. I haven't posted in such a long time as the illness of my child has been such a dominating factor. I've found the forum so helpful in the past and really valued the support and kindness of people in this community. Best wishes
As a fellow carer I just wanted to send you a hug and support. The trouble is I think is that it may not just be the anti Depressants causing reaction in your bgs but the overall stress and raised cortisol too. As you say we have had and continue to have very difficult events happening which all also raise the stress levels too.
Think it’s a good idea to look at some medication to help with bgs but I’m not knowledgeable about them - something to discuss with DN and or your GP would be good to get an hbaca1 to see how your general overall levels are progressing from your last one so you can see if this is a big change or not and what may help.
From my perspective as a fellow carer I’m sure you are coping and doing a brilliant job but I’m also hoping that you are taking really good care of you too.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi Bex72. I'm sorry to read that you have your own troubles to deal with as well as your child's poor health. I hope you can get some support, maybe with your dr.'s advice? I have had similar problems switching meds (necessary but unfortunate). My new meds skyrocketed my blood sugar, even with adjustments to insulin, diet, etc. I look forward to another med option. I hope drs. are understanding for this issue.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I am still under counselling and like yourself been through a tough time!
Which I do feel really sorry for you.
I was on 200mg of sertraline, with my usual meds, this as time went on had more or less the same impact on my symptoms though because I'm in ketosis, my blood levels only nudged up slightly but still in normal levels.
The sertraline was very good for me, but I wanted and needed to reduce the dosage and with the doctors approval, slowly but surely reduced and finally just the week before Christmas, I no longer took them or needed them, the difference cleared my mind and those symptoms such as the dry mouth has gone.
I'm not over it but I am facing up to the present and I'm finding benefits in not taking the sertraline!

You will have to believe that you are ready and discuss it with your GP, sertraline is brilliant to turn your depression and anxiety around, but the longer you take it, and have a cocktail of other meds, this I'm sure is the reason behind my symptoms!

Be good to yourself and look after your children.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 is spot on.

The GP may be good at physical symptoms but did you know you can self refer for counselling to help you? Just Google cbt and your area and it should come up.
It's important that you as the carer is supported and cared for, and having someone to offload to can be very helpful, and need not involve GP or their pesky receptionists at all.

I too was suddenly thrust into caring for an adult child and the stress and emotions around it were huge. All I know is it did seem to become more manageable when I got help for myself.
My t2 diagnosis was after all the stress, but I'm sure it was exacerbated by it.

Like they say on aeroplane, put your mask on first before helping anyone else. Look after yourself or you won't be able to help your child as much as you'd like.

Well done on sticking to low carb, it would have been easy to head back to old comfort patterns.

Keep posting when you can, please

Kimble73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Antje77. I have adapted and am coping, lots of people have it far worse and I’m sure in time things will be better. I am fortunate in so many ways and have wonderful people close by ( and a furry companion too). Wishing you well too x
Hi there, I am on an antidepressant that has some terrible side effects, been through a lot in the past six years, losing my mom was a big one and other people in my family. Lots of stress. I don’t know your whole story, but I have a son with Autism and being a carer is very hard it was for me. I didn’t have diabetes at the time. But it was getting harder and harder to care for him as an adult he is now living with a couple because he is now 34 it was just to difficult. He is thriving and happy. Have you looked into getting support? Like someone to come into your home and watch your child a few times a week so you can get a break. Or get some help for your Mental Health like counselling it helps to talk to someone. Sometimes antidepressants have side effects on you blood glucose, I would talk to your doctor or a psychiatrist and maybe get switched to something else. They are not for everyone, I’m finding out. Do you have a family member you can lean on for emotional support. We’re not Superwomen. Having diabetes can be stressful enough, I have a feeling you might be burnt out, please try counselling.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there, I am on an antidepressant that has some terrible side effects, been through a lot in the past six years, losing my mom was a big one and other people in my family. Lots of stress. I don’t know your whole story, but I have a son with Autism and being a carer is very hard it was for me. I didn’t have diabetes at the time. But it was getting harder and harder to care for him as an adult he is now living with a couple because he is now 34 it was just to difficult. He is thriving and happy. Have you looked into getting support? Like someone to come into your home and watch your child a few times a week so you can get a break. Or get some help for your Mental Health like counselling it helps to talk to someone. Sometimes antidepressants have side effects on you blood glucose, I would talk to your doctor or a psychiatrist and maybe get switched to something else. They are not for everyone, I’m finding out. Do you have a family member you can lean on for emotional support. We’re not Superwomen. Having diabetes can be stressful enough, I have a feeling you might be burnt out, please try counselling.
Thanks Kimble 73,
I am on a waiting list for counselling and fortunately have a good support network. I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve been dealing with. I’m now realising the effect stress has on diabetes. It can be very tricky. My diabetes is not under control and my gp and diabetic nurse are trying to help me. I’m just starting new meds and hopefully will turn a corner. I’ve discussed the antidepressant with my gp and nurse and will be aware that this could cause problems. I am frustrated that I had such excellent control through following a low carb diet and it just isn’t enough at present. We’ve had a care review for my child who has ASD and respite has been recommended and support at school. Hopefully, with more structured support things will start to improve. Wishing you well, you’ve been very strong. Take care