Low carb diet programme

MikeA37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning all,
I have seen that there is a app for a low carb diet programme but im just wondering if it really does work? And where can i get some info on how to properly go about it.. i eat all the wrong things and seriously need to start doing something about it. At the moment i feel so flat and my way of dealing with this is eating the wrong foods, i want to feel good about myself and need to get trim.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mike, Over time you will learn what is right for you. In the first instance , register free with "MYFITNESSPAL.COM" and monitor what you eat. When you know the breakdown content of your food, then you can start to modify it for your own benefit. Your targets should be 1) to bring your HbA1c within normal ranges, 2) Bring your weight to accepted ranges and 3) reduce dependency on any prescribed drugs. The requirements are different for all of us, but this will head you in the right direction. Finally, when you have diabetic blood-tests (HbA1c) ALWAYS ask the receptionist for a copy of the FULL results and then study and understand them!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,
I have seen that there is a app for a low carb diet programme but im just wondering if it really does work? And where can i get some info on how to properly go about it.. i eat all the wrong things and seriously need to start doing something about it. At the moment i feel so flat and my way of dealing with this is eating the wrong foods, i want to feel good about myself and need to get trim.

Hi @MikeA37,

I see you have already posted on this forum a couple of times, so you have probably already received daisy1's brilliant information. In the information, she sent you, should also be a link to this site's low carb program. Another great website is dietdoctor.com. The site features recipes and the carb value of most foods, next to other informaton relevant to the low-carb lifestyle.

The low-carb lifestyle has helped many of us get our blood sugars back in the normal range without the need for medication. My Hba1c initially was 100 and is now 31, all thanks to eliminating most carbs from my diet (plus a little bit of exercise), but if you look at the following section http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ , you will see many more success stories.

When embarking on low-carb, make sure to drink enough water and to add enough salt to your food to avoid the low-carb flu. You will notice that after a brief time you will start to feel better and have more energy and more mental clarity.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Reactions: MikeA37

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer your question yes for a huge amount of people it works extremely well.
Hopefully you will be one of them.. what can t hurt to try it for 3 months and see what happens.. you only have your health to gain back!
There is a huge amount of help here and also on
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
as you can see from my signature I follow a very low carb way of eating alongside some intermittent fasting (I skip breakfast every day). This has helped me become the healthiest I have been in my adult life.

Reactions: MikeA37

MikeA37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank u guys for your answers to my question.. i will look into this and see what info i can get.. i do endeavour to loose weight and stay on the right track of eating the right foods.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do low carb then you really don't need to worry about weight loss - it will probably just happen. Low carb will almost certainly reduce your blood glucose levels, which is the most important thing to start off with.
Watch out for things described as 'healthy' as they are probably not good for you.
Your diabetes education courses will most likely describe a diet with 33 percent carbs - a healthy balanced diet. Porridge, potatoes, beans - all on their list of things to eat. If you have your own blood glucose meter you will see just how much those foods raise your blood glucose and so you can draw your own conclusions. Yes there are some diabetics who can eat them without spiking - but for many they mean high readings, sometimes for hours.

Last edited:

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi and welcome to the forum. In answer to your question-yes a low carb diet will lower your blood sugar ( I'm here because Hubby is diabetic) and also trim your waistline. i've followed Hubby's new regime of eating and now need new clothes myself :) Basically as others have said all carbs turn to sugar once ingested so if you cut out bread/potatoes/cereals/rice/pizza/pasta as well as starchy veg and the obvious cakes/biscuits/sugary drinks and sweet fruit then you will lose weight regardless.

We are all different though and respond differently to food items. Hubby only eats a small amount of cereal in the way of carbs ( to prevent constipation-sorry if TMI !) so buying a meter and testing yourself is essential. Many forum members also use intermittent fasting or skip breakfast to help lower BG. You'll find it's all quite experimental to start with.:happy: Exercise is also beneficial although vigorous cardio vascular exercise may spike your levels as your body gives you extra glucose ! Also if you test first thing in the morning you may experience a liver dump ( part of how your body gets you ready to wake up and face a new day) so don't be surprised if you get high morning readings initially.

good luck !

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im newly diagnosed T2 and nearly died at the hospital from Ketoacidosis 23 September 2017.

If we cannot have potatoes, rice, bread, pasta and can only have fresh vegetables - what am I going to eat to get my energy from?

I cannot have fats as I need to lose weight.

Please kindly advice, thank you!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im newly diagnosed T2 and nearly died at the hospital from Ketoacidosis 23 September 2017.

If we cannot have potatoes, rice, bread, pasta and can only have fresh vegetables - what am I going to eat to get my energy from?

Please kindly advice, thank you!

Hi NewTD2 - Gosh, it's unusual for a T2 to have Ketoacidosis. Was it when you had this you were diagnosed?

Some people choose to give up all potatoes, rice etc., and some can get away with reducing how much or how many they eat. It's only over time, as you get to know your body, you'll know how far you have to go.

Those who do adopt a Low Carb lifestyle still have plenty of foods to eat, and many report their energy levels are a lot better when eating that way.

Do you take any meds for your diabetes, and do you have a blood glucose meter to test your own blood?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Many people lose weight on a low-carb diet even if they eat fats. There are even some medical studies that showed low-carb diets reduced weight slightly more than low-calorie diets. While it is not guaranteed this will happen in your case, it is probably well worth a try.

The suggestions I am making below are contingent on checking whether they are compatible with any drugs (or insulin) you may be taking. It must have been quite harrowing to go through ketoacidosis and find out you had diabetes within a short time. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

For a description of the range of low-carb lifestyles see here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html.

For a comprehensive description of low-carb foods, nutrition information, and recipes, see here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb.

Also, if you are concerned about fat, low-carb, low-fat foods do not consist only of vegetables (as you will see from the above dietdoctor link). Personally I follow a low-carb and quite low-fat diet. It works for me -- I have plenty of energy, indeed more than when I was eating all those carbs. It probably won't work for everyone though.

Best wishes.