jettcrash11

I've lost seven pounds on a low carb diet in the past 3 weeks. I have insulin resistance and I am not on any medications. I eat under 60 carbs a day. Just recently my weight was at 225 and now it is at 226. I have flirted with a little more carbs recently maybe at 70. How many carbs should someone who is very insulin resistant eat a day? And also will I have to be more patient and weigh myself weekly? Or should the weight come down every other day? Is it normal for weight to go up and down?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that it is hard, but I would encourage you to stop weighing yourself so often, and give everything more time. This is a long game.

In answer to your questions, we are all very, very different, and there is no single magic formula that will ensure we lose weight consistently, or even lose weight at all.

I expect that you will adjust and tweak your way of eating a lot over the months and years to come, but you can be reassured that weight rises and falls and plateaus and drops. Just don't assume that if the scales go the wrong way for a few days, it isn't working - because even if you aren't losing weight, you are still controlling your blood glucose which is the main goal, in my view.

As an example of how different we all are, I do not lose weight on as little as 20g carbs a day (because we all have different factors at play as well as carb numbers), and I have learned to not weigh myself more often than every month or so.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jettcrash11 I agree with @Brunneria, Try not to weigh yourself too often and perhaps also check some body measurements: sometimes you can lose inches even though the weight seems not to be dropping as fast as you like.

If you get your blood sugar under control, you'll be in a much stronger position to make changes to your diet and eating patterns to get the weight loss you want.

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is extremely normal for weight to fluctuate. I found I lose weight gain a bit lose a bit level for 3 weeks then lose more. The plato are hard to deal with. Overall now I have lost 16lbs since Christmas and reduced my Hb1Ac results.

Reactions: Alison Campbell