1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb diet with minimum preparation

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by carbolysis, May 16, 2018.

1. carbolysis

carbolysis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello!

I want to do low carb diet. I was thinking that I can eat steamed chicken, burgers, meat with steamed veggies for a start. I like that with mayo as soon as the meat is juicy.

Can I buy ready to steam veggies and meat in pieces to just throw it into a device and cook it?
    How long it will take?

Or maybe it would be faster to oven the meat and buy a ready to eat salad?
    Any advice?

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Birds Eye do individual steam in the bag vegies that take 3½ - 4 minutes to cook in the microwave.

https://www.birdseye.co.uk/range/vegetables/steamfresh

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like you could do with a slow cooker. Chuck your meat and veggies in with some stock in the morning and dinner is ready in one pot in the evening.

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

You could roast a chicken, and that would do a number of meaks, depending on the size of the chicken and your appetite. If you don't fancy much cleaning up, you can even buy roaster bags, or even buy a chicked already seasoned, and in the bag.

From a single chicken there are 4 natural quarter joints - 2 legs and two breast quartersm then the carcas ans craps make FAB stock, but you may not fancy that.

Personally, I rarely do frozen veg, but I understand Iceland (and I'm assuming other supermarkets) do individual steamer sachets of veg.

• Like Like x 1
  5. carbolysis

carbolysis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can I put chicken, meat, burgers in a steam bag and microwave it?
    Can I put chicken, meat, burgers in a roast bag and oven it?
    Which would be more juicy?

6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, you can do it that way.

7. Scimama

Scimama Type 2 · Well-Known Member

cant answer the meat focused question, but many supermarkets do frozen cauliflower 'rice' which takes minutes to fry in butter and add to mushrooms in spicy cream sauce (low carb version of mushroom stroganoff). iceland do a nice broccoli and kale 'rice' in portion sized bags ready to microwave, goes well with stir fied tofu (but I expect chicken or beef strips would work :) )

Quick low carb meal is scrambled eggs, or poached eggs and asparagus

8. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, a meat dish (done in wok or on a bbq or in fry pan), and a ready to make salad is our standard fare in the summer. Minimum planning, prep and dishes. And yummy. We use herbs and spices a lot to...to... spice it up!

If you want to go really minimum planning and dishes - you could check out the zero-carbing/carnivore way of eating. Just meat, eggs and dairy (the latter two only if you want). I've tried it for periods of a few days to a week, and it certainly simplifies the whole food thing! Thought, execution, cleaning up - absolutely. (No chopping veg! No fiddling around with microwave veg steam bags!) And very filling, very good for the blood glucose etc levels.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook