low-carb dumpling recipe

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Have you actually tried a 'normal' dumpling with stew and tested before and after?

Because, as long as you only eat a small dumpling, it may not raise your bg's too much. After all, it's just suet and flour, and it's the flour that has the carbs. It may not upset your levels too much, once in a while.

If the stewing meat is not too lean, you may be okay!

Once I've finished being a guinea pig for the fish and chips, I might sacrifice myself in the interests of dumplings next! But not until at least April! :wink:

Viv :)

banjo brunette

Hi Viv
I try to keep away from "proper" flour - once it's in the house there are SO many temptations. Good luck with the fish and chips :)
Cheers, BB :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Difficult, isn't it? I used to keep any carbs I had - eg flour - in a locked filing cabinet at one end of the building and the key in the garage at the other! But I do agree - none at all is the best way.

If you get a recipe, please let me know!

Viv :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You should be able to botch something together that'll be a good substitute for dumplings using the following recipes (you'll have to google 'em):

Nudies (remove the spinach)
Lo-Carb Pie Crust
Lo-Carb muffins/Oopsie Rolls

Gonna take a bit of trial and error, though - but us Diabetics are experts at that! :wink:

Let us know how you get on.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ingredients for 16 to 18 dumplings for 5-6 servings (approximately 3-4g carbs per dumpling)

2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 cup almond flour

Instructions

1.Beat the eggs until fluffy.

2.Add the spices and almond flour.

3.Put dough in the freezer for 30 minutes or the fridge for an hour or two. You can get by with less chilling time, but forming the dumplings will be messier. If aesthetics are important to you, chill the dumplings.

4.Bring a pot of water to a boil.

5.Form all your dumplings at the same time so they can go into the water about the same time.

6.Steam, with the lid on, for about 8 to 10 minutes. They will puff up and you'll see air pockets inside when cut, this means they are done.

Edited by cugila. The source for this recipe can be found here :

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11071&p=181148#p181148

Sue

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Might give them a try, Sue. Sounds nice. I'd probably throw some cream cheese in there too.

Kicking Carbs

Hi I just wanted to pop in and say I'm so pleased to see my dumpling recipe used. If you want to see pictures and get more information you can view the original recipe here
(Link to Blog removed. Forum Policy)
I don't know if I would add cream cheese to the recipe as the dumplings fluff up a bit and I'm not sure how the cream cheese would affect that. The flavor might be a nice addition though.

If you try it with the cream cheese, let me know.

Thanks
M

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Kicking Carbs.

Apologies to you for the publishing of a Recipe which is taken from your Blogspot. Unfortunately on this Forum links to Blogs are not allowed in posts or signatures so therefore any attribution would not have been complied with. I lifted this from your site :

Copyright Use Notice
Recipes may be copied and printed for personal use. Please provide proper credit and attribution for recipes posted on forums or other websites. Proper credit, in this case, is defined as a link back to this blog.

This blog and the recipes it contains take a fair amount of work, please respect my copyright.

We have come to an amicable agreement with 'Kicking Carbs' and the post has been edited to provide a link which gives due credit to the Author.

We would remind ALL members that if you copy and paste items / recipes which are not your own here you must comply with Copyright rules of both the place you got the information from AND this Forum's own Rules.

cugila
Forum Monitor