Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Smashing thank you.

Would you mind saying why you stopped eating that way? Do you not think its very good really?
I loved it.
The food was delicious and satisfying.
However, I have some other hormonal nonsense going on that meant that the DD food didn't permit weight loss, even though it was great for my blood glucose.
After a while I moved on to try intermittent fasting.

One point that I will make is that I am a very lazy cook. :D I love food and enjoy great flavours, variety and freshness. I cook fresh, no processed, but don't want it to be time consuming. DD provided all of those things. My husband adored the DD menu plans and often asks for DD recipes because he enjoyed them so much. He even makes up some of their flavoured mayos himself (which is quite astonishing considering how little interest he takes in cooking).

But because I/we are so lazy in the kitchen, the vast amount of washing up generated by following DD recipes was too much. I rapidly started adjusting the recipes to reduce the number of pans, bowls and baking trays needed. lol.

Also, because DD suggest eating a different main meal every day, I found cooking 7 x a week was a bit much with the hours I work and the amount of time I spend walking dogs and cavorting on this and other forums. My husband works odd antisocial shifts too. So the idea of a sit down family meal once a day is impractical. lol. I am more comfortable with cooking double portions 3 x a week, and eating out at least once - reducing my kitchen labours to a mere 3 sessions a week instead of 7. :D Sometimes I cook huge amounts of stews, soups and one-pot wonders, then freeze them in portions for minimum effort. Said I was lazy. But we still eat exceedingly well.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant and I find you very inspiring! I forgot about cooking my one pot meals - like you I love food - we both do - but hating cooking for hours!

Yes indeed the recipes on DD are delicious! Love the meats, cheese and sauces - cant wait to try them all.

The only thing my lovely Hubby really misses is his bread - nothing I make is nice! He used to love Ciabatta and Olive oil and Balsamic - nothing I make comes close!

Thank you again for your support - its great!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a good way to use DD recipes and still get your one pot meals - just adjust the quantities on the meal planner to feed more people, then freeze the extra portions.

It didn't take me long to twig this, and start doing it.
But of course, this doesn't work for all the recipes, since many require prep just before serving. :)

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought. We can still enjoy our beef stew but what about dumplings? Suet is ok but what about the flour bit? .

Also one last question today anyway . I can’t be bothered making mayo so can we just use full fat Hellmans and add garlic etc and other flavours and herbs?

Last edited:

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just come across Diabetes Uk Carbohydrates List on diabetes.org.uk. Is this to do with this website and forum too? Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ROSIE1988

Most dumplings are made with wheat flour, so they (and often the gravy granules that go with the gravy in the stew) are probably too high carb for someone aiming for DietDoctor levels of carb intake. Have a look at the carb content on the ingredients list, or just look up a few 'dumplings' on google, and you will see what I mean.

Each of these has 25g of of carbs per dumpling (which is more that DD suggests we have in a whole day)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253214982

Diabetes.uk (blue logo) is a charity and a different organisation from diabetes.co.uk (red logo), so the two organisations are not connected. This forum is hosted by Diabetes.co.uk. I am afraid that I am not familiar with the Diabetes.uk carbs list, so can't comment on it. :)

Hope that helps.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunmeria. Thank you. I have been thinking and I am going to stop the very low carb option as I am finding it horrendous. 25g or less a day is totally boring and I feel sick as a dog to be honest. Where on this site can I find out and discuss a ‘normal carb’ level? I read somewhere people normally should eat approx 300g carbs per day!? Is this right? All the diet doctor site pushes is Keto which is too extreme for us and we just know we can’t go on for months or years with absolutely no bread or potatoes. Last night on here I found a few comments where people just watch their carbs but still enjoy potatoes pasta and even chips, and it didn’t effect their blood sugars when they tasted etc. So there must be another way!? Can anyone guide me to a thread or link for this sort of way? Thank you as always. Would be completely lost without this site x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunmeria. Thank you. I have been thinking and I am going to stop the very low carb option as I am finding it horrendous. 25g or less a day is totally boring and I feel sick as a dog to be honest. Where on this site can I find out and discuss a ‘normal carb’ level? I read somewhere people normally should eat approx 300g carbs per day!? Is this right? All the diet doctor site pushes is Keto which is too extreme for us and we just know we can’t go on for months or years with absolutely no bread or potatoes. Last night on here I found a few comments where people just watch their carbs but still enjoy potatoes pasta and even chips, and it didn’t effect their blood sugars when they tasted etc. So there must be another way!? Can anyone guide me to a thread or link for this sort of way? Thank you as always. Would be completely lost without this site x

Hi Rosie,

I suggest that you look through the forum list (hit the Forums button just underneath the Diabetes.co.uk logo near the top right of the page. Scroll through the list and explore the forum. You will find sections for different types of eating and different approaches.

It may be worth bearing in mind that those T2s who eat as many as 300g of carbs a day usually see a progression in their T2 and an escalation of drug therapies, while those who control their carbs are more likely to slow, halt or even reverse the progression of their disease. Also, there are a thousand different variants on eating, including the whole range of carb intake from 0g up to more than 300g a day. We don't have to choose either/or, we can pick anywhere in the middle, as well.

You need to find what works for you, and I would suggest that the more reading you do on the subject, whether on this forum or others, studies and research, books and diet advice, then the better informed you will be.

Hope you find what you are looking for :)

Reactions: ROSIE1988

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again . Thank you. I have just gone head long into the Keto as I didn’t realise there were so many options like you mention. Need something which allows carbs. Maybe not as much as we were having but we need some. I stupidly thought we had to do virtually zero carbs as per the diet doc and have latched into that but it is really very extreme. I have ended up hating salad and tomatoes and I used to love them!? And eggs. Hate them now. So I need to do more research as you say and will check out the forum here. Finding a happy medium is the way isn’t it and I admit I am quite extreme in the way I go about things. Sometimes I have success but others I fail as I do things too rigidly. Ah well. Back to the drawing board. Thank you so much for helping x

Reactions: Mrs_A

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all . Hanging in there. I have been having carbs but not many and keeping them below 100g per day. I have felt better and I have lost 6lb in 16 days. Is that any good? I have lost belly fat which is good and my arthritis Has eased. I haven’t craved anything really and I haven’t had any humbugs at all! I have my wheetabix then nothing till supper. Supper is hardly anything as I don’t feel hungry anymore!? Still can’t stand salad and veg. My lovely Hubby is going great. He has lost 5lb and stopped having so many carbs. Don’t crave cake or chocolate either. Find if I have too much carb I get horrendous stomach pain and bloating nowadays so it is putting me off them bit by bit.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Ps most days I have 70 - 80g carbs.

Rosie thank you for this I am having s terrible time this week with cravings of sweet things not sweets but cakes and sugar.I have lost my brother in the last two weeks so I suppose I could be comfort eating I was doing well till then. But Zi mistakenly thought you had to have less than 20 carbs to lose weight. So maybe I could have a little carbs and still lose weight.I am having a restart tomorrow to get back full swing.So pleased to see your post.

davich

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who complain for the sake of complaining. The why me brigade. Live with what you have and make the best of your life.
Still trying to come to terms with my low carb diet plan.
My weight loss is 47 lbs and my Mmol is 39 so that’s a big plus for the diet plan.
Problem is I use cycling as a means of exercise and I tend to need 30 g per hour of carbs to stop the terrible feeling of bonking.
My gp says my biggest problem is my blood pressure which can be as high as 166/103 at the surgery.
I have always had high blood pressure though since I was 27 (first time it was checked)
I have recently bought a A and D blood pressure monitor and my readings at home can be as low as 112/67 when resting?
My average at home is 136/84 over a month testing at the same time every time.
Long term I am hoping that a low carb diet will help to lower my blood pressure.

Reactions: JaxhuggyBear

Andy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fashion, consumerism, following the crowd, large crowds.
Bumping this, cos it is getting lots of 'likes' but they don't keep it up at the top of the list where it will get seen, and i love this link so much i want everyone to see it. ;)

So, if you like it, bump it too! :D

Andy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fashion, consumerism, following the crowd, large crowds.
Brilliant idea!

Thank you. :D
Thanks for the information about the Keto Diet. However I'm a vegetarian and I struggle to find food to eat on the Keto challenge as its all meat based? Any ideas? Regards Andy2

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the information about the Keto Diet. However I'm a vegetarian and I struggle to find food to eat on the Keto challenge as its all meat based? Any ideas? Regards Andy2

If you have a look at the www.dietdoctor.com website, they have a vegetarian section. And apparently they have expanded it somewhat. No idea how 'expanded' that actually is, but it might be worth checking out, and using it as a kind of inspiration, even if it doesn't offer enough of a range to live on indefinitely.

You can also google 'keto vegetarian recipes' and see what turns up?

:)

Reactions: soniatlopes