Low carb has shot up my cholesterol

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see nothing wrong with your cholesterol numbers. Without a particle size distribution test, I would assume they are OK, so will your GP provide you with the particle size distribution test?

(I think your GP is a few years out of date on his views.....)
I'd agree with ringi, but I would have said decades instead of years.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
"Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study" should have nailed it for ALL doctories. Before it was published (this year) we just had lots of studies that controdicted the old understanding of cholesterol, but nothing that was 100% clear cut.

Reactions: Freema

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study" should have nailed it for ALL doctories. Before it was published (this year) we just had lots of studies that controdicted the old understanding of cholesterol, but nothing that was 100% clear cut.
"High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings."
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/abstract
Geoff

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I do not eat the fat off meat as when I was in the hospital after a heart attack, every single person on the same ward as I were Asians like Pakistan etc. Now they eat a lot of fats and ghee that is their main diet, yet they all had a Heart Attack and had high cholesterol..Considering their diet is probably more natural than the British diet meaning they eat meats and cook with a lot of Ghee and cream this does play on my mind. I will eat butter and have cream but not to much of it. There diet is very high in fat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now they eat a lot of fats and ghee that is their main diet, yet they all had a Heart Attack and had high cholestero
Have you seen how much carbohydrate is in the average Indian/Pakistani diet? Rice, breads... and you blame ghee?
Edited to add have you ever seen an Indian sweet shop? Its sugarsville with more sugar sprinkled on top.

Reactions: RandomTest

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not eat the fat off meat as when I was in the hospital after a heart attack, every single person on the same ward as I were Asians like Pakistan etc. Now they eat a lot of fats and ghee that is their main diet, yet they all had a Heart Attack and had high cholesterol..Considering their diet is probably more natural than the British diet meaning they eat meats and cook with a lot of Ghee and cream this does play on my mind. I will eat butter and have cream but not to much of it. There diet is very high in fat

Rather than focusing on the fat that you think they eat, then focus on the fat and carbs that they eat.

It is the combination of a high fat diet combined with a high carb diet that is the problem.
Remove the carbs, and the insulin levels drop, and the fat is no longer a problem.

Have you watched any of Ivor Cummins you tube presentations?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you seen how much carbohydrate is in the average Indian/Pakistani diet? Rice, breads... and you blame ghee?
Edited to add have you ever seen an Indian sweet shop? Its sugarsville with more sugar sprinkled on top.
Yes I know that they eat rice breads and Asian cakes,sweets but I am talking about cholesterol not Diabetes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I know that they eat rice breads and Asian cakes,sweets but I am talking about cholesterol not Diabetes
Me too.... that's why a lot of people's cholesterol levels "normalise" when they cut carbs...

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rather than focusing on the fat that you think they eat, then focus on the fat and carbs that they eat.

It is the combination of a high fat diet combined with a high carb diet that is the problem.
Remove the carbs, and the insulin levels drop, and the fat is no longer a problem.

Have you watched any of Ivor Cummins you tube presentations?
I am not talking about them having diabetes but a heart attack.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cholesterol is hugely affected by carb intake.

I really encourage you to watch those Ivor Cummins videos.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look at ghee (easy to make yourself) and coconut oil as they will both keep for a long time without being in a fridge. The traditional solution is Pemmican that is a mix of ground dried meat and rendered fat, make correcly it has been proven to keep for 50 years outside of a fridge. There are also lots of "meat sticks" on the market that don't need to be kept in a fridge and of couse nuts last outside of a fridge.

But dired meat will not work on its own, as you MUST have fat or veg in a diet.
Fat AND some kind of fruit or veg, or you end up with scurvy.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Me too.... that's why a lot of people's cholesterol levels "normalise" when they cut carbs...
Well I will be interested to see if mine has shot up on my next visit because it has always been stable for 14 years.. Another 4 months and I should know

Reactions: donnellysdogs

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cholesterol is hugely affected by carb intake.

I really encourage you to watch those Ivor Cummins videos.
Well apparently some carbs lower cholesterol and others raise it,so may be the Asian rice etc does contribute as I cannot see them eating brown rice.I have cut all my carbs to 20 grams a day not even that most days so I will see what my Cholesterol levels are in 4 months. One thing though. My sister has been diagnosed with high levels of cholesterol, but she loves her cakes and sweets and smokes (She still smokes silly woman) but has changed her diet to rice, couscous and sweet potato and brown bread. She went from 6.5 cholesterol to 4.4 in two months

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have come to the conclusion that some people can eat pasta, rice, potatoes and have no affects through their life of high sugar, yet there are others us who cannot. What foods seem ok for some are not for all

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well apparently some carbs lower cholesterol and others raise it,so may be the Asian rice etc does contribute as I cannot see them eating brown rice.I have cut all my carbs to 20 grams a day not even that most days so I will see what my Cholesterol levels are in 4 months. One thing though. My sister has been diagnosed with high levels of cholesterol, but she loves her cakes and sweets and smokes (She still smokes silly woman) but has changed her diet to rice, couscous and sweet potato and brown bread. She went from 6.5 cholesterol to 4.4 in two months
Your sister sounds like a hyper responder.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To get some idea of what Asians eat at home, including homemade "bread" at every meal watch this. Also remember most heart issues are due to high levels of insulin that are due to high carb intake.....

It’s true that if you reduce the fat form a “high carb and high fat diet”, then the risks reduce. But there is a much bigger reduction in the risk from reducing the carbs and removing all vegetable oils replacing them with butter and olive oil.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think it is important to get the ratios in the cholesterol. My understanding is that what should be watched is the HDL number divided into the total cholesterol; some take the view that a ratio lower the 3.5 to 1 (I prefer the 2 to 1 opinion) is fine as a marker for less chance of a cardiac incident. In addition (and this is what I believe) carbs / sugars which are not fully utilised increase triglycerides which are the cause of plaque cholesterol which can break off and cause strokes / heart attacks. So it would seem that keeping triglycerides low circa < 1.7 is desirable.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings."
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/abstract
Geoff
The NHS hatchet response to PURE study :
https://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/08Augu...and-carbs-study-not-very-relevant-for-UK.aspx
Geoff

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Triglycerides are the only type of cholesterol that gives a problem that is measured on a standard NHS blood test. Comparing trigs to HDL is also a good predictor.

(Some of the numbers on the standard NHS test are calculated from the triglycerides and total cholesterol levels.)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Geoff
OK I give in - what is MDI? Do you get it from Ikea?