low carb/high fat against Mediterranean diet

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a research which says saturated fat ie animal fat and coconut oil are bad for diabetics!

What can you say about it?
There has been a lot of discussion on here about this. I suggest you put 'saturated fat' and 'coconut oil' into the search box and all the threads and info will appear.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also want to know how to make the transition to LCHF diet slowly?

I’m scared of losing energy, fatigue, weakness etc.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gradually reduce your carbs, while simultaneously increasing your fats and proteins until balance is reached in terms of weight and blood glucose level. Over a period of weeks. Once you have done the 'what fats' research you will know which fats you wish to increase to compensate for the calorie reduction from fewer carbs.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You still seem to be struggling with the basic concept of LCHF.

Not one carb on this planet is essential for human nutrition, not one. Stop eating them and eat proper food.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also want to know how to make the transition to LCHF diet slowly?

I’m scared of losing energy, fatigue, weakness etc.
If you go low carb you should find that you will have more energy, not less. You do need to do it properly, not go by rules which take no account of your personal situation. Probably the first thing to do is assess your blood glucose levels and the amount of carb you eat each day.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I completely agree with @Alexandra100. Both are my favorites. I also like the Rosedale diet who explains how over eating protein, mainly in the absense of carbs will raise your bs, insulin and leptin levels. I follow his recommendation do .8g per kg lean body mass

I also do better with Mediterranean fats vs animal fats. So avocado, nuts, olives, olive oil and mayo. I eat lots of fish, poultry and some lean red meats like lamb chops or lean beef. I eat under 20 carbs per day and the fats I eat just until satisfied. I don’t gob them bu tid I don’t have enough I’m hungry.

My motto is vlc, moderate protein and healthy fats to satisfy.

I’ve eaten this way for over 25 years. Through prediabetes, Type 2 and now LADA ( type 1) all with good results.[/QUOTE Do you eat butter, cream or cheese? I eat lean meats and plenty of fish also. I will have butter now and then but cream with sugar-free jelly only a little cream though. I have Olive Oil, nuts and seeds also.If I eat too much fat I start to feel sick. Even butter will do that do me.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No cream. One ounce or less of cheese ( treat) butni know it’s not great for me ( achy). Butter I eat a little, never gobbed. Since quitting coffee I moved to broth and water with 1/2 tsp ghee. Tastes lovely and staisfying in the morning. Agreed. Too much fat and bloat and nausea. I find this with excess oil. Like dipping veggies into a mayo based dressing. And it seems cumulative through the day. I eat 80% fat but need to watch it. Avoacado doesn’t seem to bother me and actually subsides any fat cravings. I need to portion control nuts or they sit like a rock. Nut butters are worse. I wasn’t eating butter for a long time but just a sliver works for me and is far less oily than mayo. For some reason I tend to gorge on mayo. Not good. If I’m hungry between meals a sliver of butter or a small spoonful of avo seems best. Relearning.
I tend to not need a lot of any food or I have issues so best for me to just snack on a few bites through the day. Still getting decent calories but not excessive.