low carb/high fat against Mediterranean diet

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooops yes, forgot the mayo, but it has to be the real stuff. Because I don't like olive oil, it goes on all my salads and whatnot. Hellmans, naturally! :)
I thought you left it out because you DO eat it. Agreed, great in anything.
As for salads do you just use mayo or make it into a creamy dressing with other ingredients?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much for all your advice.

I really appreciate it.

I definitely need to increase my fat intake.
You don’t have to gob it until you feel sick but you don’t have to hold back either. Ample amounts of fat should be included with every meal and snack. It’s much better for blood sugars as well.

Carbs spike bg AND insulin ( fat storing hormone) and protein does as well to a lesser degree. Fat has very little effect on bs and insulin. Which is why we use it as well as an energy source. Just a note... lc hf is not high protein. Moderate protein is what we’re looking for.

Reactions: Arlmy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a newly diagnosed T2 and I’ve decided to follow low carb.

However I’m always hungry, loss of energy sometimes I could hardly walk, nauseated and very weak.

I’m scared to eat.

Any advice....Please help!
When you decided to follow low carb - did you actually look into what it means? Tiny amounts of high carb food are not the way to eat if you want to control your insulin and glucose levels, nor will it make you feel comfortable. Try some low carb foods and you'll be able to eat lots of highly nutritious meals which should sort out your energy needs.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When you decided to follow low carb - did you actually look into what it means? Tiny amounts of high carb food are not the way to eat if you want to control your insulin and glucose levels, nor will it make you feel comfortable. Try some low carb foods and you'll be able to eat lots of highly nutritious meals which should sort out your energy needs.
I agree. Pushing the envelope is not the way to manage our bg. Make your meals and leave off the carbs, especially starchy carbs. Look at it as preserving your beta cells for the future.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that just because you like the taste? All the main brands seem to have similar ingredients, 70% rapeseed oil and free range eggs.

I like it. I have looked at other brands but Hellmans appears to be lower in carbs than any I have seen. Some have added sugar. I eat a lot of it, so the carb content matters. It may be there are others that I haven't found. Hellmans is only 1.3% with masses of omega 3.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought you left it out because you DO eat it. Agreed, great in anything.
As for salads do you just use mayo or make it into a creamy dressing with other ingredients?

I just use it straight from the jar. By the spoonful. :hilarious:

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The recommended amount of protein is .8-1 g per kg LEAN body mass.
The average amount of protein is 7g pure protein for 56 weighted grams. (7 g per ounce)
White poultry and lean red meat is slightly higher and some fish are slightly lower but in your situation not enough to worry about.

Thank you for that, I have looked all over for that. I will now start to use it and know that I am ok. Thanks again.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for that, I have looked all over for that. I will now start to use it and know that I am ok. Thanks again.
It’s all over the place , espaecially as of late. I was over eating protein and couldn’t figure out why a no carb meal spiked me.
Protein also raises insulin almost as much as carbs and insulin is a fat storing hormone as well.
In the absense of carbs, protein converts to bg via gluconeogenisis. This is when our bodies turn protein into energy.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you all for the good advice. Really appreciate it!

I have increased my fat (coconut oil) and have started eating more.

For lunch I had a quarter roast duck, 4 teaspoons brown rice with beans fried with coconut oil, and half a plate/lots of salad.

Bg readings were before lunch 6.4 and two hours after lunch 6.7.

Please continue to give me more advice.

Thank you!
I would replace the rice and beans with plenty of broccoli, mushrooms and cauliflower and a handful of nuts or half an avocado.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting thread. I'm very-low-carb and quite low-fat. Most of my fat comes from cheese, avocado, olive oil (and oil-marinated olives) and meat. I seem to be thriving, energy-wise. I was indeed extremely hungry for the first two months of this diet (mid-February through mid-April of this year) but the hunger largely went away and I attribute that to the recovery from carb addiction.

The hunger returned recently, but less extremely, because I eliminated copious nut snacks from my diet in an effort to prevent further kidney stones (another story, not for this thread). I have so far dealt with the hunger simply by "eating more" in general, and even adding a single square of Lindt 85% chocolate daily (about 4g carbs).

Members of this forum frequently advise me to increase the fat quotient, which I haven't yet done, but accept may be the right way to go eventually. (I am on the edge of "underweight" as measured by BMI but don't attach much significance to that. See signature.)

(Edited 10 minutes later to add a few more details of my diet.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grateful Looking at your list of fats, you probably aren't as low fat as you think (depending on the quantities you eat). It just seems to be dairy you avoid, apart from cheese. Perhaps you could spend a few days measuring the grams you eat and see how that compares to the grams of carbs and protein? You may have a shock.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could spend a few days measuring the grams you eat and see how that compares to the grams of carbs and protein? You may have a shock.

You will see in my previous post I only say I am doing "quite low fat"; it is certainly not "very" low-fat. If it were, I would probably not be alive....

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You will see in my previous post I only say I am doing "quite low fat"; it is certainly not "very" low-fat. If it were, I would probably not be alive....
I wanted to suggest you track all your food for about three days. For kidney stone purposes as well. Then you’ll have an idea of what your daily macros are and perhaps tweak as needed. You had mentioned in another thread that you eat too much cheese, IF there is such a thing, and cheese has lots of protein as well as fat.

Might be something to look at. Kind of a pain but it’s only for a few days.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beef lamb pork eggs bacon chicken turkey salmon tuna and all other proteins.

Fats are olive oil, butter, ghee, olives, avocado, nuts, mayo, lard or tallow if you wish

Safe carbs are above ground veggies, salad greens for the most part. Carrots and peas should be monitored.

With the high fat meal you had of duck and coco oil you might not see your peak until 3 or 4 hours as the fat slows down digestion for much longer than a low fat meal. This is why we test foods and meals and in the beginning we generally have to test more often to find trends and patterns. Then we can relax a bit when we know which meals and food work or don’t work

How much cheese can we eat on lchf?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That is up to each individual. I eat one ounce a day for a snack at 5:00. Cheese ( dairy) makes me achy so I keep it to a minimum. I tend to like most of my fats to be plant fats rather than animal. Such as avocado, olive oil, nuts, olives and mayo.

If you don’t react to dairy then it’s up to you! Some people gain weight with dairy and some people want to gain weight so they add dairy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If it suits you and you like it, as much as you like, but if you have weight to lose it is very calorific and needs limiting. The fat content will help your BS levels. For most T2s the protein levels are normally insignificant as far as blood sugar is concerned. If it does raise your levels it will be many hours later because it takes the body a long time to digest it and send it to wherever it it is needed. It is a complicated process.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a research which says saturated fat ie animal fat and coconut oil are bad for diabetics!

What can you say about it?