Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Thank you for your reply.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from a type 2 diet control perspective, focussing solely on your diabetes, I would say yes.

However, I prefer food in its natural state, so use butter and cold pressed virgin olive oil, no seed oils. I use the chicken skin and fat to make up the calories I lose by reducing my carbs.
Hi, like yourself I tend to only use olive oil, I like the taste, but I think there`s a bit of misunderstanding about rapeseed oil. It isn`t all refined, you can get cold pressed rapeseed oil as well, it is a lot more expensive than the refined but it is pure and has nothing added.

Reactions: Speedbird

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't the issue with seed oils that they become unstable when heated? Therefore what is healthy in it's natural state then becomes unhealthy due to the modification of that oil? And really, most of the mass produced oils are produced in industrial quantities. Why not just use the natural, unmodified fats we have traditionally used? They did our ancestors no harm.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't the issue with seed oils that they become unstable when heated? Therefore what is healthy in it's natural state then becomes unhealthy due to the modification of that oil? And really, most of the mass produced oils are produced in industrial quantities. Why not just use the natural, unmodified fats we have traditionally used? They did our ancestors no harm.
peanut/groundnut oil is stable to quite a high temperature, just as one example - but I get my meat from the butcher and ask for the trimmings to be included, so have all the fat I need - I do use olive oil to cook eggs and mushrooms for omelettes for the taste, and avoid palm oil for ecological reasons, but I suspect that the 'modern' housewife would not be happy collecting fat for herself and would far rather have clear golden oil in a bottle.

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
peanut/groundnut oil is stable to quite a high temperature, just as one example - but I get my meat from the butcher and ask for the trimmings to be included, so have all the fat I need - I do use olive oil to cook eggs and mushrooms for omelettes for the taste, and avoid palm oil for ecological reasons, but I suspect that the 'modern' housewife would not be happy collecting fat for herself and would far rather have clear golden oil in a bottle.
Peanut oil is one of the few which may be stable at higher temperature. I personally use olive oil, avocado oil, ghee, coconut oil and bacon fat(which I collect myself) ;-)
I also buy my meat from a local producer and have it as it comes, fat included.
I'd rather NOT have a clear golden oil in a bottle, if it's so clearly bad for me...maybe I'm an old fashioned 'housewife'(Do housewives even exist these days?) I work full time and manage to collect my oils and fats to use in cooking, plus I'm particularly lazy....if I can manage it, anyone can!