Low Carb impact on sight

Graham1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For the past couple of years I've had to have 3 monthly eye checks and at the last appointment the Doctor talked about it may be necessary to start injecting directly into my eyes. This certainly motivated me to look for an alternative option, luckily I've found it here. Three months of low carb living and at today's eye check up there was no talk of injections, in fact the Doctor was so impressed in the improvement next appointment increased to 6 months. My eyes aren't totally cured but heading in the right direction.
Thank you Diabetes.co.uk for the advice on low carb living.

Reactions: Freema

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
For the past couple of years I've had to have 3 monthly eye checks and at the last appointment the Doctor talked about it may be necessary to start injecting directly into my eyes. This certainly motivated me to look for an alternative option, luckily I've found it here. Three months of low carb living and at today's eye check up there was no talk of injections, in fact the Doctor was so impressed in the improvement next appointment increased to 6 months. My eyes aren't totally cured but heading in the right direction.
Wow! You must be thrilled? This is the sort of 'scare'
that I need because my eyes are suffering too, but I am feeling lost after a year of bad things happening in my life. Please give me some tips if you can?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, @Graham1960
I agree that low carb is the way to go. However, I find it's hard to stick to if I have a few stressful days. I've recently learned I now have 'background retinopathy' (annual Diabetic Eye Screening) which is giving me that little bit more motivation to stick to low carbs. After reading your post, I'm more motivated to stick with the diet in the hope the background retinopathy will improve and not become an issue - thank you ;)

@Mal37
It's definitely worth taking every effort to get/keep your blood glucose levels within 'normal' levels as much as possible. It's so easy to 'fall off' and then very hard to get back on track. I do sympathise as I really struggle too.

Reactions: Mal37

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Well done, @Graham1960
I agree that low carb is the way to go. However, I find it's hard to stick to if I have a few stressful days. I've recently learned I now have 'background retinopathy' (annual Diabetic Eye Screening) which is giving me that little bit more motivation to stick to low carbs. After reading your post, I'm more motivated to stick with the diet in the hope the background retinopathy will improve and not become an issue - thank you ;)

@Mal37
It's definitely worth taking every effort to get/keep your blood glucose levels within 'normal' levels as much as possible. It's so easy to 'fall off' and then very hard to get back on track. I do sympathise as I really struggle too.
Yes I have background retinopathy too, but also have glaucoma which has resulted in first sign damage to the optic nerve in one eye so I do know I need to become strong again ... if only it were easy :(

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Graham1960 its great to see results from taking charge of the way you’re eating - it’s a very powerful tool. I’ve been eating low carb for nearly 9 months now and not only enjoy eating this way now and wouldn’t change it but also value my improved health which has been the result of sticking with it. Congratulations and keep going.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
A strict low carb diet (20 to 30g per day) over the last 5 years has allowed my husband's proliferative retinopathy to regress to just a hint of "background". The opthalmology consultant used the word "amazing", and, yes, that is what it is and all it really takes is cutting out the carbs.
sally

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If there ever was a no.1 success story for low carbing. It would be yours.
Love it. Well done.
Happy low carbing. :)

Reactions: Energize and Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A strict low carb diet (20 to 30g per day) over the last 5 years has allowed my husband's proliferative retinopathy to regress to just a hint of "background". The opthalmology consultant used the word "amazing", and, yes, that is what it is and all it really takes is cutting out the carbs.
sally
Does your husband cut out the carbs or are you doing it for him?
Either way. Great result.!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
sally
WOW! That is so inspiring! Well done to your husband. Can you give an example of what he will have in a day? I try to go low carb, but struggle. Thank you in anticipation

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Graham1960 - That really is fantastic news.

Sounds like Hippoctrites knewa thing or two when he (allegedly said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food".