Type 2 Low Carb Improvements

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello :):)

I was just wondering when you change to a low carb diet how long it will be to start seeing improvements to your blood sugar readings?

Thank you

xx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello :):)

I was just wondering when you change to a low carb diet how long it will be to start seeing improvements to your blood sugar readings?

Thank you

xx
The fasting blood glucose stayed up for a long time. In the course of the day though, the rise after meals... Couple of days/weeks, I seem to remember... Keep in mind you'll probably encounter some blurry vision for a week or two, etc, which is a good sign. (No sugar warping your vision, and it takes a little time for your brain to get used to not having to compensate for it anymore).

Reactions: Lil_Miss_Cuddly

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I have just looked back at my readings from December on the mySugr app:
Day 1 : high 14.9, low 12.6
Day 2 : high 16.3, low 9.7
Day 3 : high 11.9, low 8.9
Day 4 : high 10.1, low 5.8
Day 5 : high 11.2, low 7.6
Day 6 : high 10.1, low 6.5
Day 7 : high 8.0, low 5.6
And one month from diagnosis, high 6.4, low 5.9 and pretty much between around 4.5 and 7.0 ever since, my 3-month hba1c was around 35.

Of course during the first few weeks I was furiously testing and trialling foods some of which really didn’t work for me (bread, I’m looking at you!), which lead to some spiking. I was ramping up my metformin dose for the first couple of weeks as well, but as you can see, I found that the BG readings were really responsive to what I ate. I still get a higher fasting reading in the morning though, still early days for that to come down, but it doesn’t seem to affect my hba1c.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I have just looked back at my readings from December on the mySugr app:
Day 1 : high 14.9, low 12.6
Day 2 : high 16.3, low 9.7
Day 3 : high 11.9, low 8.9
Day 4 : high 10.1, low 5.8
Day 5 : high 11.2, low 7.6
Day 6 : high 10.1, low 6.5
Day 7 : high 8.0, low 5.6
And one month from diagnosis, high 6.4, low 5.9 and pretty much between around 4.5 and 7.0 ever since, my 3-month hba1c was around 35.

Of course during the first few weeks I was furiously testing and trialling foods some of which really didn’t work for me (bread, I’m looking at you!), which lead to some spiking. I was ramping up my metformin dose for the first couple of weeks as well, but as you can see, I found that the BG readings were really responsive to what I ate. I still get a higher fasting reading in the morning though, still early days for that to come down, but it doesn’t seem to affect my hba1c.

Oh wow that’s brill it just gradually lowers, that’s good to know. I am waiting for a new cassette. For my metre. They don’t last 5 minutes and it works out expensive £20 a time.

Were your carbs really low I have started at the top end 50-100g and am going to see how I go. Although I don’t seem to use 100g so I could probably lower it to 50.

X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to zero carbs for a few days after diagnosis. My BG levels started to improve about two hours after diagnosis - I can't remember now if I had a pork chop or steak for dinner, but low carb is turning off the glucose tap, instant effective relief.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow that’s brill it just gradually lowers, that’s good to know. I am waiting for a new cassette. For my metre. They don’t last 5 minutes and it works out expensive £20 a time.

Were your carbs really low I have started at the top end 50-100g and am going to see how I go. Although I don’t seem to use 100g so I could probably lower it to 50.

X
Get a cheaper to run meter and test more frequently.. your body and health will love you for it.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went to 100g then down to 85g after two weeks, by then my daytime results were fine but I was still seeing a fasting rise.
By the 3 mth check I my HbA1c was down into the low 40s.
But from everything I'd heard not only does this vary a lot but there is some evidence that the sooner you start after you become diabetic the quicker the improvement. Not 'after diagnosis' as some people don't get tested regularly, in my case because of my weight and family history my GPs tested me every year - I went from fine to T2 in less than a year skipping pre-diabetic this time (I'd briefly been pre-diabetic a few years earlier, went low carb got and back into the normal range, then gradually slipped back into my old eating habits).