Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's certainly of interest to me, after many on here claim they can eat unlimited amounts of certain foods, whereas I seem to be one of the unfortunate ones to whom 1 calorie equals 1 calorie, so it is a topic which I am happy to see continue, despite your objection that it of no interest to "anyone"
Possibly you mean "it is no interest to you"?
It sounds as if you are a little jealous to be honest. Why can't you accept that not everyone is like you ? Be happy that for you, a calorie is so precise and scientific. On that same note, accept that for others, it's not so cut and dried.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also think the term 'unlimited' is misleading. I can eat fat until I want no more, but even then my diet would still be low calorie by some people's standards.

Reactions: 6 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @zand that it's not 'unlimited' in that we don't eat to excess - it's just not actually counted and I for example eat til I feel full which happens much more quickly when I eat no carbs. The reason I believe is that the lack of carbs prevents the blood sugar highs and lows and I speak as one who used to get very cranky and irritable if I didn't have regular meals, and shortly before I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and found the low carb way of eating, I suffered gnawing hunger pangs (probably due to insulin rises due to excess carbs).
On the low carb higher fat diet I eat til I feel full but am really never hungry (my tub of nuts I bought to snack on has never been opened). The other day, fuelled on a single boiled egg for breakfast, I completed a 10 mile bike ride and a half hour sea swim (no wetsuit) and at 3.30pm I still didn't feel hungry - no carbs, no sugar spikes, no insulin spikes, no hunger pangs = easy weight loss. Am I eating fewer calories? - who knows I can't be bothered to count the darn things. I am just eternally grateful to whoever came up with the low carb high fat way of life and am enjoying slipping in to my size 8 shorts!
If you are one of those for whom it doesn't work (and you have checked you aren't still eating too many carbs - below 10% of diet seems to be the magic number) then that is a shame but I am a definite convert for life!

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, me too @seadragon - the less carbs I eat, the less hungry I am.

I am envious of your size 8 shorts though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad we all agree at last. "Not everyone is like you"

So we all agree the discussion has been beneficial so far, and we all look forward to it moving on properly now.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you want help with your condition I’d stow the above attitude we are not talking abstract conceptual theories here; this is a support forum for people with diabetes. I don’t have to ‘prove’ anything to you.
It was not my intention to convey an attitude or infer that I was upset. You claimed that one of my statements was wrong, and I asked you to prove why. I do not feel that was an unreasonable request. With that said, you are absolutely right: you don’t have to prove anything to me, but I can’t see how it promotes a healthy discussion to accuse me of being wrong and not feel the need to explain why.

As you also mentioned this is a support forum for people with diabetes. We each have our own unique opinions and experiences. I don’t expect everyone to share my opinions, but I do try to challenge people who believe my opinions are wrong. There is a difference.

In the end, my goal is to have thought-provoking discussions with other intelligent people. I see that as an opportunity to learn something new or learn when I am wrong. I believe that was ultimately accomplished in this thread.

Reactions: 4 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad we all agree at last. "Not everyone is like you"

So we all agree the discussion has been beneficial so far, and we all look forward to it moving on properly now.
Well Pat, I'm not really sure how beneficial it will be but I hope it is.

Edited to remove assumption.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SunnyExpat re your hunger and leptin resistance. Maybe you simply haven't reduced carbs enough? When I joined this forum someone suggested that I count calories as well as following LCHF to lose weight. I did this for about 8 months until I realised it was bad advice for me. I didn't need to count calories at all I just needed to reduce carbs further. Maybe you have reduced carbs enough to fix your insulin resistance and weight issues, but not enough to fix the hunger (leptin resistance)? Just an idea, not an argument. :) I'm still working on my insulin resistance. :rolleyes:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also think the term 'unlimited' is misleading. I can eat fat until I want no more, but even then my diet would still be low calorie by some people's standards.

I agree, there is a lot of play on LCHF meaning no need to count any calories, but it does seem a lot of it is reduced calorie at the end of the day.
It seems it can be misleading, unless you are in the group that seems to fill up quickly on fat.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, there is a lot of play on LCHF meaning no need to count any calories, but it does seem a lot of it is reduced calorie at the end of the day.
It seems it can be misleading, unless you are in the group that seems to fill up quickly on fat.
I think for me LCHF is 'painless low calorie' because without the carbs I'm not hungry.....see my previous post. :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SunnyExpat re your hunger and leptin resistance. Maybe you simply haven't reduced carbs enough? When I joined this forum someone suggested that I count calories as well as following LCHF to lose weight. I did this for about 8 months until I realised it was bad advice for me. I didn't need to count calories at all I just needed to reduce carbs further. Maybe you have reduced carbs enough to fix your insulin resistance and weight issues, but not enough to fix the hunger (leptin resistance)? Just an idea, not an argument. :) I'm still working on my insulin resistance. :rolleyes:

No, I can eat LCHF, and don't seem to fill up, it takes an effort to stop, even to the point when I know I'll be sorry later, and feel sickly and bloated.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I can eat LCHF, and don't seem to fill up, it takes an effort to stop, even to the point when I know I'll be sorry later, and feel sickly and bloated.

Hmmm that's not nice. Sorry to hear this. :(

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm that's not nice. Sorry to hear this. :(

I think it is down to far too many years of not eating at all, due to working, then pigging out at the end of the job. So I learned to ignore hunger, then just ate to 'refill'.
Probably why I am seemingly more efficient at processing calories than others would like to hear as well, now I really do make an effort to pace myself.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think it is down to far too many years of not eating at all, due to working, then pigging out at the end of the job. So I learned to ignore hunger, then just ate to 'refill'.
Probably why I am seemingly more efficient at processing calories than others would like to hear as well, now I really do make an effort to pace myself.

I did this also for a lot of years, only eat (pig out) around early evening when the kids were eating!
No breakie, no lunch, and often nothing at all during and after night shift.
Since the turn of the century, I have noticed I snacked more, than not eating at all.
Even now, I eat very little in work! Just enough to not go above normal blood glucose levels.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well DougPat, I'm not really sure how beneficial it will be but I hope it is. As usual, the minority cannot accept what works for the majority but that's forums eh :)

Well, I guess if you're the minority, maybe you're trying too hard to fit in?
Maybe you need to chill out a bit, and accept you need to realise you have found what works for you, and be happy with it, regardless of others?
I'm sure, like me, you'll find what works for you, and find your peace eventually?

I wish you all the best, and hope you are eventually happy with your solution, without needing others to endorse it.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I guess if you're the minority, maybe you're trying too hard to fit in?
Maybe you need to chill out a bit, and accept you need to realise you have found what works for you, and be happy with it, regardless of others?
I'm sure, like me, you'll find what works for you, and find your peace eventually?

I wish you all the best, and hope you are eventually happy with your solution, without needing others to endorse it.
Thanks but I'm very much a part of the majority that know what works and I am at peace oh wise one :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks but I'm very much a part of the majority that know what works and I am at peace oh wise one :)

No, you're not, you object way too much be happy with yourself.
I do hope you eventually find your solution.

C

catherinecherub

This thread has served it's purpose and is now being locked due to the sniping and personal remarks being exchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.