Low Carb Program

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
What's everyone else's experience of the low carb program? I joined because I enjoy eating low carb but, because it's a relatively new way of eating for me I find I need some help keeping my nosh interesting (and tasty enough for my daughter to want to eat with me). I'd be interested to learn how long others have been following the program and what you think of the website.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's everyone else's experience of the low carb program? I joined because I enjoy eating low carb but, because it's a relatively new way of eating for me I find I need some help keeping my nosh interesting (and tasty enough for my daughter to want to eat with me). I'd be interested to learn how long others have been following the program and what you think of the website.

I have access to the site, and have had since it was launched. As I had already been eating in a LC way before it was launched, I haven't used it to develop my eating patterns. I have used it for recipes and so on though.

I'm sure others will pass their own comments.

Reactions: LindsayJane

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is that the one that costs money?

I’ve never used any program, just came here and dumped carbs the same day.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is that the one that costs money?

I’ve never used any program, just came here and dumped carbs the same day.
It does cost money, yes I hesitated for ages about joining but I do need motivation and think this might be the place to get it. I've dumped carbs too and have been in ketosis for a while but I'm struggling to lose those last few pounds - I think the recipes on this site might help - at least I hope they will!

Steveg1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi yes there is a lot low carb but it to your taste like Greek plain yogurt with berry’s kale omelette chicken breasts I like a beer so ultra lite and Holstein if you like curry is good cinnamon turmeric garlic ginger all good spices olive oil though

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I joined before they did the full launch, so it was free.
However, you can get an NHS voucher to cover the sign up fee - a pity most GPs don't seem to know this.

I found it a great help for keeping me on track, as I'd tried low carb before and drifted into eating too much again (before my diagnosis). I still use the site, especially the discussion section. I didn't follow the meal plans exactly but they gave me some good ideas and some new favourite recipes, and some of the videos were very helpful.

They are still developing the site, and the new sections can be a bit buggy, but the staff are helpful and friendly.

You can see some of the recipes on their facebook site.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I joined before they did the full launch, so it was free.
However, you can get an NHS voucher to cover the sign up fee - a pity most GPs don't seem to know this.

I found it a great help for keeping me on track, as I'd tried low carb before and drifted into eating too much again (before my diagnosis). I still use the site, especially the discussion section. I didn't follow the meal plans exactly but they gave me some good ideas and some new favourite recipes, and some of the videos were very helpful.

They are still developing the site, and the new sections can be a bit buggy, but the staff are helpful and friendly.

You can see some of the recipes on their facebook site.
I wish it were still free! But then, I consider the subscription to be an investment in my health.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi yes there is a lot low carb but it to your taste like Greek plain yogurt with berry’s kale omelette chicken breasts I like a beer so ultra lite and Holstein if you like curry is good cinnamon turmeric garlic ginger all good spices olive oil though
I guess I'm lucky because all the recommended high fat foods are amongst my favourites, avocados especially! Before this, I thought I would have to cut right down on them and have them only as an occasional treat - have them just about every day now!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like others I joined when it was free. To be honest have used dietdoctor more.

Try joining in the what have you eaten today thread in the low carb section of the forum if you want more ideas.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Like others I joined when it was free. To be honest have used dietdoctor more.

Try joining in the what have you eaten today thread in the low carb section of the forum if you want more ideas.
Thank you - I shall. I use Dietdoctor too but I like the way the low carb site helps you work out how much carb/fat/protein you've eaten. I've been doing this on a spredsheet since I started LCHF and the website has made it much quicker!

Reactions: Goonergal

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got in free - but I could not cope with the slow week by week access restriction, and I didn't want to be bothered with filling in the various sections - couldn't see any real need for it.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I got in free - but I could not cope with the slow week by week access restriction, and I didn't want to be bothered with filling in the various sections - couldn't see any real need for it.
It is a bit of a bother having to wait but I quite like the filling in bits. I'll probably only do the blood related ones and maybe weight every now and then, It's actually quicker for me than the records I've been keeping on my laptop.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a bit of a bother having to wait but I quite like the filling in bits. I'll probably only do the blood related ones and maybe weight every now and then, It's actually quicker for me than the records I've been keeping on my laptop.

There’s even better apps for that, most of us use my fitness pal.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I joined the Low Carb Program too when it was first set up, mainly out of curiosity as I was already well into eating low carb, I had a poke about but never really used it, partly because it was often going over ground I'd already covered for myself, and partly because i found some of their recipes too high carb for me. With Diet Doctor I've not joined their challenges/programs , but I do like and use or adapt a number of their recipes. I've posted before though that I believe that the Low Carb Program can be a very useful tool for anyone who needs or prefers more guidance or a more structured approach to low carbing.

I've never really used any apps to tell me what proportions of carbs-protein-fat to eat: I simply eat my usual amount of protein, cut right down on carbs and up the fats a bit to compensate. My meter tells me how I'm managing the carbs and my stomach tells me how I'm doing on the fat front.

I've eaten low carb for just on five and a half years now and still find different meal combinations or new recipes that I can use. But then I'd mainly eaten my original (full fat!) diet for over 60 years without getting bored, until carbaholic husband took over shopping and cooking. I've now taken back control of my own food and I've still a way to go with my low carb explorations yet!

Many of the meals I eat are similar to regular high(er) carb versions - just without all the carby stuff, so there's no reason why with a little compromise you couldn't go this way with your daughter.

Robbity

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I joined when it was the one off fee. I haven’t been on it fir ages.
I joined when I had been diagnosed for a few months so the info on low carb etc wasn’t overly helpful but like you I wanted recipe ideas.

I found that really useful and because it was lifetime payment of £30 I thought it worth it.

Haven’t been on fir ages simply because I have no inclination to cook. My meals are slab of meat and veg.

I cook my bread to tear off during the day and sausages and chicken and that’s it.

I haven’t cooked a meal for a long long tine!!

But for recipes I found it good.

I got frustrated with the whole wait a week till the next lot of info!

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I joined the Low Carb Program too when it was first set up, mainly out of curiosity as I was already well into eating low carb, I had a poke about but never really used it, partly because it was often going over ground I'd already covered for myself, and partly because i found some of their recipes too high carb for me. With Diet Doctor I've not joined their challenges/programs , but I do like and use or adapt a number of their recipes. I've posted before though that I believe that the Low Carb Program can be a very useful tool for anyone who needs or prefers more guidance or a more structured approach to low carbing.

I've never really used any apps to tell me what proportions of carbs-protein-fat to eat: I simply eat my usual amount of protein, cut right down on carbs and up the fats a bit to compensate. My meter tells me how I'm managing the carbs and my stomach tells me how I'm doing on the fat front.

I've eaten low carb for just on five and a half years now and still find different meal combinations or new recipes that I can use. But then I'd mainly eaten my original (full fat!) diet for over 60 years without getting bored, until carbaholic husband took over shopping and cooking. I've now taken back control of my own food and I've still a way to go with my low carb explorations yet!

Many of the meals I eat are similar to regular high(er) carb versions - just without all the carby stuff, so there's no reason why with a little compromise you couldn't go this way with your daughter.

Robbity
I've been doing low carb since January but found that I was eating all the same stuff day in day out so was getting bored and losing my motivation a bit. This site has helped, not least because it was paid for and therefore needs to be treated as an investment. I agree that some of the recipes are a bit too high carb and therefore need adapting. I try to keep to between 20 and 30g per day and if I were to stick rigidly to their meal plans I would be consuming considerably more. It's easy eough to spot the culprit ingredients though and cut them out or reduce the quantities. My daughter is doing fine BTW. She works as a chef so has an interest in food. She doesn't follow my diet exactly but has become far more carb-aware and has cut down significantly which cn only be to her advantage in the future. Thank you for your response - very informative and interesting x

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I joined when it was the one off fee. I haven’t been on it fir ages.
I joined when I had been diagnosed for a few months so the info on low carb etc wasn’t overly helpful but like you I wanted recipe ideas.

I found that really useful and because it was lifetime payment of £30 I thought it worth it.

Haven’t been on fir ages simply because I have no inclination to cook. My meals are slab of meat and veg.

I cook my bread to tear off during the day and sausages and chicken and that’s it.

I haven’t cooked a meal for a long long tine!!

But for recipes I found it good.

I got frustrated with the whole wait a week till the next lot of info!
The wait-one-week is a bit annoying. I'll think about it as something to look forward to, like a magazine delivery! £30 lifetime payment! I envy that! I shall use this site for the year I paid for and then move on - I'll have all the info and recipes printed out by then anyway. Thnk you for your input x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing low carb since January but found that I was eating all the same stuff day in day out so was getting bored and losing my motivation a bit. This site has helped, not least because it was paid for and therefore needs to be treated as an investment. I agree that some of the recipes are a bit too high carb and therefore need adapting. I try to keep to between 20 and 30g per day and if I were to stick rigidly to their meal plans I would be consuming considerably more. It's easy eough to spot the culprit ingredients though and cut them out or reduce the quantities. My daughter is doing fine BTW. She works as a chef so has an interest in food. She doesn't follow my diet exactly but has become far more carb-aware and has cut down significantly which cn only be to her advantage in the future. Thank you for your response - very informative and interesting x

LindsayJane, I think it's worth remembering that people come to the LCP at many points in the journey to prevent diabetes, lose some weight or cambat their T2.

We read many times on these bery boards of folks who find the 20-30gr carb a day keto approach to be too much of a quantum shift, all in one fell swoop, and therefore a mixture of approaches and thereby recipes is required.

Not everyone needs to go keto to do well with their diabetes, and some folks; often those with multiple co-morbidities, cant juggle everything on a very strict way of eating.

That's absolutely not making any judgements on how people do or don't approach the programme, or LC, but it is an acknowledgement that ons size doesn't fit all any more when referring to our day to day eating as anything else.

People have to find their own way, and their own sweet spots (oh the irony!) relating to levels of carbs, fats or whatever. By having a variety of recipes on hand, there's usually something for most tastes.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
LindsayJane, I think it's worth remembering that people come to the LCP at many points in the journey to prevent diabetes, lose some weight or cambat their T2.

We read many times on these bery boards of folks who find the 20-30gr carb a day keto approach to be too much of a quantum shift, all in one fell swoop, and therefore a mixture of approaches and thereby recipes is required.

Not everyone needs to go keto to do well with their diabetes, and some folks; often those with multiple co-morbidities, cant juggle everything on a very strict way of eating.

That's absolutely not making any judgements on how people do or don't approach the programme, or LC, but it is an acknowledgement that ons size doesn't fit all any more when referring to our day to day eating as anything else.

People have to find their own way, and their own sweet spots (oh the irony!) relating to levels of carbs, fats or whatever. By having a variety of recipes on hand, there's usually something for most tastes.
I absolutely agree. 20 to 30 carbs a day was difficult at first but suits me well at the moment. I am aware that I might need (or have to) increase this on occasion. I have my doctor's support as far as ketosis is concerned; he's one of the few who seem to think it a good idea - either that or I'm his guinea pig! Whichever, I'm happy to continue as I am right now - I feel better than I have for years with energy levels back to how they were when I was a much younger woman, more mentally alert and, as they say, I am now happy in my own skin. LCP so far has proved useful in this but it's early days so we shall see. Thank you for your input - have a lovely day x