Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the responses, its really helped

One final question. How do you cope with ordering lchf foods at restaurants? Most dishes are carb loaded and i'm allergic to cooked fish. This problem is magnified when you go on holiday and have limited choice for a whole week - i was thinking of self catering hols in future
More and more restaurants are putting their nutritional info on line these days. I often Google a restaurant if I know where we’re going. Otherwise I go for plain meats and veggies, I also ask for a salad instead of chips I’ve never been refused.

Hotpepper20000

I ask for steak and see what the vegetables of the day is. If it’s above ground vegetables I ask for double. Or a side salad
I ask for everything else to be left of the plate except the meat and vegetables.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

One final question. How do you cope with ordering lchf foods at restaurants? Most dishes are carb loaded and i'm allergic to cooked fish. This problem is magnified when you go on holiday and have limited choice for a whole week - i was thinking of self catering hols in future
Most restaurants are happy to swap fries/spuds for salad or veggies. Better to substitute than throw out food, is their reckoning. If I order eggs I tell them to keep the toast, if I get a burger they get to keep the bun. If they offer side salads, I'm there. If doubling up on the meat is an option, I'm thrilled. So... How do you feel about steak? Or a bunch of other choice pieces of meat? Poultry? Fish is out, but that leaves a lot, especially at grill restaurants (US, Argentinian, sound good?). Five Guys does a burger wrapped in lettuce if you don't want a bun, or they can put it in a bowl if you have a bucketload of extra's (like mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, onions and whatnot). Going for something extra special and you need an entree? Hello, carpaccio! Instead of dessert you can go for a double espresso or a cheese platter. Breakfasts, if included in your stay, often include eggs and bacon, so more often than not you're not stuck with cereal or croissants. Otherwise, just hop over to a nearby McD's and get their breakfast muffins, and toss the muffin.

If you can, google restaurants near your hotel (or the hotel's restaurant), and check the menu before you get there. I know I used to get stumped when I had to order, and it helped to have an idea of what my options were before I got there. Heck, I'm going to an Asian tapas restaurant this week, and I have a tiny little cheat-sheet hidden in my phone's cover, so I know what I can order. ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

PS: I always ask if it's okay if I'm a difficult customer, with my most charming smile, which usually makes servers laugh. In turn for their good care and the kitchen's extra effort, I tip generously. If you go to the same place a few times in a row, they'll remember the tipping. ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can book a hotel with buffet type meals they are ideal as you can just choose a combination of foods to suit your diet.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can book a hotel with buffet type meals they are ideal as you can just choose a combination of foods to suit your diet.
Totally agree. I find many hotels do a buffet breakfast which helps.