Fraddycat

I've just made the flaxmeal loaf as shown on this page [mod edit: link removed]

Its interesting, definitely edible and loads better than no bread which is what I have been having for the last 3 months. It also gave me something to do with the flaxseed which has been sitting in the cupboard. I'm going to try the chocolate sponge pudding next.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fraddycat said:
I've just made the flaxmeal loaf as shown on this page [mod edit: link removed]

Its interesting, definitely edible and loads better than no bread which is what I have been having for the last 3 months. It also gave me something to do with the flaxseed which has been sitting in the cupboard. I'm going to try the chocolate sponge pudding next.

How was it? Mine wasa little darker, but I changed it slightly.

Fraddycat

Mine looks pretty similar, I added garlic granules which was a mistake they have given it a bit of an artificial taste. I'm thinking I am going to freeze the rest.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I added pumpkin and sunflower and chia seeds, but good with butter and sugar free jam :D I have a slice for breakfast..

maggie2

Have just whizzed through the [mod edit: reference to site removed] site and think it's great. One or two recipes I've seen elsewhere but that doesn't matter. I did make the chocolate pudding which has already been posted way back and as I don't have a microwave I steamed it. Turned out beautifully but now I'm wondering if it's possible to make the sponge cakes as every other one I've attempted has not been successful. In fact the dentist has made a fortune out of us :lol: Any suggestions on temp if I try them in the oven please?

Defren

Curried Beef, Coleslaw, & Mushroom Frittata Muffins

Makes 36 muffins

1 onion, diced
1 heaping tablespoon of coconut oil
1 pound of mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tub lowest carb coleslaw
1 pound of mince
1 heaping tablespoon of curry powder
½ cup coconut milk
20 large eggs
5-6 tablespoons of coconut flour
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

preheat the oven to 375 F. Chop and slice veggies.
Heat the coconut oil in a large cast iron or solid based frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, throw in the onions with some salt and pepper and sautee them until they are soft and translucent.
Next, add the mushrooms and cook them until the liquid had evaporated.
Put in the mince and cook it until it's no longer pink. Season the meat mixture with the curry powder and add more salt and pepper to taste. Then stir in the coleslaw.
Put paper cases into your muffin tin, or if your like me, put your silicone ones ready on a baking sheet.
Put the mince mixture evenly into the cases.
Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk in the coconut milk.
Ladle or spoon the egg mixture on top of the mince, don't fill as the muffins rise during cooking.
Cook for around 15 minutes, then turn the tray and cook for an additional six minutes.
Once cooked, allow the muffins to cool slightly in the cases, then remove from cases and put onto a wire cooling rack.

Enjoy...

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bernstein's Beef and Green Pepper Stew (in his book it's called Pot Roast Beef):

1.5lb Beef - I buy cheap stewing steak from the supermarket it's fattier, tastier and cheaper than the diced beef
2 tbsp olive oil - I put some butter in too
1 cloves garlic
6 shallots - I use 1 small onion as I can't seem to get hold of shallots
2 stalks celery
1/2 green pepper
12 small mushrooms
Beef stock
1 bay leef
2 tsp parsley
1 glass red wine

I usually omit the red wine as I don't normally have it in the house and I usually put some Worcestershire sauce in.

Supposedly makes 6 portions, although its 2 for me! Each one of Bernstein's portions has 3.3 grams of carbs in.

To make it, fry the onions, garlic and celery in the oil (and butter if using). Add the beef when they seem to be half-cooked. Once the beef is browned, put in the liquids to cover and leave to cook for until the beef is tender - normally about 1.5 hours.

The green peppers give it a really good taste, very much worth trying and ass you can see hardly any carbs. Enjoy!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
SamJB, thanks for the recipe, Deb x

maddiemo

Where is the almond flour crumble recipe? I got all the ingredients can't wait to try it. Just bought the flour.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Maddiemo, let me tell you that you are in for a treat, I can't get enough of the stuff. I have now had the crumble with rhubarb, frozen raspberries and blueberries with lashings of cream, lovely.

WhitbyJet

Special cabbage

This is delicious, serve with roasts, burgers, sausages

400 g white cabbage. shredded
1 pepper. red. yellow or green, cut into strips
1 onion, chopped
100 g Leeks
1 carrot
2 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp oil or butter
8 tbsp soy sauce, light
1 - 2 tbsp mild curry powder
salt, freshly ground pepper
100 ml coconut milk

Shred cabbage, cut pepper and carrots into thin strips, cut leeks into rings, chop onion and garlic
Heat oil or butter in a pan or wok, add onion, garlic and leek, sautee for a few minutes, add cabbage, carrot and pepper, stir fry for a few minutes, add rest of ingredients, simmer lightly for about 5 - 10 minutes over medium heat, the vegetables should still be al dente.

Attachments

• vitkål.jpg
    vitkål.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,293

Defren

No fuss low carb custard

No fuss Low Carb Custard

Serves: 4
Nutritional Information Serving size: 1/2 cup Carbohydrates: 2.25g
Ingredients

1 cup of LC Milk (I personally would use 400ml of single cream and omit the milk)
300ml cream
1 vanilla bead (I used 1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
5 egg yolks
1/3 cup of sugar replacement (spelnda etc)

Instructions

Heat the milk, cream and vanilla pod in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until just below boiling point and then remove from heat
In a separate bowl whick egg yolks and sugar and slowly pour the milk mixture into the egg mixture stiring continuously
Return to stove on low heat for 4-5 mins constantly stirring
Remove from heat when custard coats the back of a spoon and stir occasionally for 15 mins until cool
Cover the custard so a skin doesn’t form

http://lowcarbcentral.com.au/low-carb-r ... b-custard/

Defren

Cheesy ‘N Beefy Mini Frittata Muffins

Here’s what I assembled to make 12 muffins:

1 pound of grass fed ground beef
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon of Arizona Dreaming seasoning (herbs or spices you choose)
1 tablespoon of ghee
Kosher salt
Pepper
Coconut oil spray
6 large eggs
Heaping tablespoon of full fat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese (use a cheese of your own choosing)

I preheated the oven to 350 F and melted the ghee in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the pan was hot, I threw in the onions and sautéed them until they were translucent and soft.

Next, I dumped in the ground beef and used my wooden spoon to break it up in the pan. I seasoned everything with salt and pepper. When the beef was no longer pink, I added the Arizona Dreaming seasoning and stirred everything to make sure it was dispersed evenly.

I removed the seasoned beef from the skillet and let it cool to room temperature.
You’ll have way more filling than is necessary for 12 muffins but now you’ll have extra cooked protein. Score!

While your meat is cooling down, line your muffin tins with cupcake liners and spray with coconut oil spray. I like to place my muffin tins on my open dishwasher door when I spray them because then you don’t get grease all over your counter AND it gets cleaned off when you run the dishwasher. (Another great tip from Cook’s Illustrated).

I filled the muffin tins more than halfway full with the cooled beef filling. Then, I whisked the eggs and yogurt with some salt and pepper. I ladled the egg mixture into each muffin, filling them up ¾ of the way to the top. At the end, I topped each muffin with about a tablespoon of shredded cheese.

I placed the muffin tins into the oven and let them bake for 15 minutes. Then, I flipped the trays around and baked for 8-10 more minutes.
I removed the muffins from the tin and let them cook on a wire rack for about 10-15 minutes.

Pictures here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3717320625/cheesy-n-beefy-mini-frittata-muffins

I LOVE this web site, it's all Paleo/primal recipe's so brilliant for low carbers.

Fraddycat

Re: No fuss low carb custard

Defren said:
No fuss Low Carb Custard

Ingredients

1 cup of LC Milk (I personally would use 400ml of single cream and omit the milk)
300ml cream
5 egg yolks

Instructions

Heat the milk, cream and vanilla pod in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until just below boiling point and then remove from heat
In a separate bowl whick egg yolks and sugar and slowly pour the milk mixture into the egg mixture stiring continuously
Remove from heat when custard coats the back of a spoon and stir occasionally for 15 mins until cool

Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it, but why cover the custard, the skin's the best bit!!

rtee

RE the Cheesy ‘N Beefy Mini Frittata Muffins
This is obviously an American recipe Defren . What did you use instead of the seasoning they suggest?
Also have you found spray coconut oil anywhere? Mine is always semi solid as my house tends to be cold.
Have just defrosted some mince so might give these a go.

Defren

rtee said:
RE the Cheesy ‘N Beefy Mini Frittata Muffins
This is obviously an American recipe Defren . What did you use instead of the seasoning they suggest?
Also have you found spray coconut oil anywhere? Mine is always semi solid as my house tends to be cold.
Have just defrosted some mince so might give these a go.

It really depends on your own taste, but anything I want to add a bit of a kick to, I love Garam masala, about 1-2 teaspoons should do it, but you can add as much or as little as you like. No, no spray coconut oil because pure coconut oil is hard in a tub, no doubt chemicals galore would have to be added to make a spray. What I do if I only need a small amount, say to grease a cake tin or just to fry off a small amount, take a small amount of oil out of the tub with a spoon, and either put it in some kitchen towel, or I just do it with my clean fingers, wipe the surface I want to grease. Hope this helps, let me know what you think of the frittata's. :D

Defren

Re: No fuss low carb custard

Fraddycat said:
Defren said:
No fuss Low Carb Custard

Ingredients

300ml cream
5 egg yolks

Instructions

Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it, but why cover the custard, the skin's the best bit!!

I am just the poor messenger, please don't shoot me. :lol: There are always fights here for the skin too. :wink: