Fried Pumpkin

Pumpkin cut into 1cm slices
For the coating:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2cup parmesan
garlic powder (optional)
salt, pepper
1 egg beaten with a tbsp of cream

creme fraiche and chopped fresh herbs or use a mixture of frozen herbs (they are usually on offer in the big supermarkets)

salad leaves, pumpkin seed oil (<<looks like engine oil, but its oh so nice with pumpkin dishes and salads, well worth getting)

Dip pumpkin into the beaten egg, then the coating, fry in ghee on both sides until golden, takes about 3 minutes each side.

Mix creme fraiche with herbs and seasoning.

Drizzle salad leaves with lemon juice and pumpkin seed oil.

Attachments

• pumpkin.jpg
    pumpkin.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,513

WhitbyJet

Pumpkin Hungarian Style

Peel pumpkin, remove seeds and cut into strips
1 packet lardons
1 onion finely chopped
2 fat cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 pot soured cream
Bouillon powder
Ghee or a mixture of oil and butter for frying

Heat ghee in a pan, add onion, garlic and lardons, fry until golden, add paprika and tomato puree, and finally the pumpkin, sautee until the pumpkin is cooked.
Stir in the soured cream and season with salt, freshly ground pepper and bouillon powder, pinch of sweetener maybe.

This goes really well with a meatloaf, sausages or fried burgers.

WhitbyJet

Mincemeat/Pastry/Marzipan

A lower carb mincemeat recipe (use almond short crust pastry for mince pies)

220g cooking apples
150g stewed rhubarb
45g sultanas
45g currants
50g melted butter
finely grated zest of 1 orange
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
sweetener, liquid sweetener, about 2tsp or to taste
1 tbsp molasses

This has a total of 125 carbs for a 16fl oz jar as opposed to around 275 g carbs for a ready made jar from a well known supermarket

Peel and chop apples, microwave until soft, mix together with all the rest of the ingredients, spoon into a jar.
For best results leave overnight before using, must be stored in the fridge.

As always adjust the recipe to suit your taste, eg more or less or different spices, you can add more dried fruit, but it would increase the carb content, as it is the rhubarb works really well in this recipe.
I have baked some sample mince pies, in the middle of July (yeah I know ) people really liked them.

Low Carb Short Crust Pastry

1 cup of almond flour
20g of chilled butter, cubed
pinch of salt
approx 1 tbl of chilled water
1 tablespoon of sweetener for sweet crust

Mix almond flour, salt and sweetener. Cut in butter and rub butter into almond flour incorporating air as you go, gradually add water until it comes away from the bowl and forms a ball without being too sticky. Dust it with a little baking powder and keep it in the fridge for about 30 mins.
Dont roll it out, just cut off pieces and press into the mince pie tins, fill with the mince meat, bake in the oven at 180C, top with a marzipan star or you could faff around with the pastry to shape a star as topping.

Low Carb Marzipan
3 cups Fine Almond Flour
1 cup Powdered Splenda = place granulated Splenda in a food processor and whizz to make it into icing sugar, you need 1 cup icing sugar, you can use another sweetener but its got to be a granular type and one that measures spoon for spoon like sugar.
few drops of Almond Extract
1 egg White or use pasteurized egg white

Place 2.5 cups of the almond flour and all other ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all is combined. Sprinkle some of the remaining almond flour on your work surface and turn the marzipan out. Knead it through. Should it be a little to sticky, add more of the remaining almond flour until it is nice and pliable.

If your marzipan is too dry or crumbly add a tiny amount of water or egg white, but be careful not too much of it, knead it through carefully or you will end up with a very soggy, mushy mess.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Lemonie, just wanted to say thanks for posting the recipe for Onion Bhajis, regards, Deb x

TUI

Re: Mincemeat/Pastry/Marzipan

WhitbyJet said:
A lower carb mincemeat recipe (use almond short crust pastry for mince pies)

220g cooking apples
150g stewed rhubarb
45g sultanas
45g currants
50g melted butter
finely grated zest of 1 orange
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
sweetener, liquid sweetener, about 2tsp or to taste
1 tbsp molasses

This has a total of 125 carbs for a 16fl oz jar as opposed to around 275 g carbs for a ready made jar from a well known supermarket

Peel and chop apples, microwave until soft, mix together with all the rest of the ingredients, spoon into a jar.
For best results leave overnight before using, must be stored in the fridge.

As always adjust the recipe to suit your taste, eg more or less or different spices, you can add more dried fruit, but it would increase the carb content, as it is the rhubarb works really well in this recipe.
I have baked some sample mince pies, in the middle of July (yeah I know ) people really liked them.

Low Carb Short Crust Pastry

1 cup of almond flour
20g of chilled butter, cubed
pinch of salt
approx 1 tbl of chilled water
1 tablespoon of sweetener for sweet crust

Mix almond flour, salt and sweetener. Cut in butter and rub butter into almond flour incorporating air as you go, gradually add water until it comes away from the bowl and forms a ball without being too sticky. Dust it with a little baking powder and keep it in the fridge for about 30 mins.
Dont roll it out, just cut off pieces and press into the mince pie tins, fill with the mince meat, bake in the oven at 180C, top with a marzipan star or you could faff around with the pastry to shape a star as topping.

Low Carb Marzipan
3 cups Fine Almond Flour
1 cup Powdered Splenda = place granulated Splenda in a food processor and whizz to make it into icing sugar, you need 1 cup icing sugar, you can use another sweetener but its got to be a granular type and one that measures spoon for spoon like sugar.
few drops of Almond Extract
1 egg White or use pasteurized egg white

Place 2.5 cups of the almond flour and all other ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all is combined. Sprinkle some of the remaining almond flour on your work surface and turn the marzipan out. Knead it through. Should it be a little to sticky, add more of the remaining almond flour until it is nice and pliable.

If your marzipan is too dry or crumbly add a tiny amount of water or egg white, but be careful not too much of it, knead it through carefully or you will end up with a very soggy, mushy mess.

These are great makes me feel all Christmassy, how long before Christmas do you think it could be made or would it have to be used immediately. Have you tried freezing after cooking? Christmas is mad here so anything I could do in advance would be good.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Corned Beef Hash

CornedBeefHash-1.jpg

Serves 2
Carbs: 19 per serving
Cals: 307 per serving

250g turnips - approx 2 small turnips
170g corned beef - 1/2 a tin
1/2 small onion - sliced
1 leek - sliced
1 egg - beaten
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
10g parmesan
1 tbsp oil

Peel and dice the turnips and place in a pan of cold water with a sprinkling of salt and sweetener and soak for 30 mins.

Gently fry the onion and leek in the oil. Place in oven-proof dish.

Chunk the corned beef into bits sized pieces and place with the leeks and onions.

Drain the turnips and then boil in salted water until just cooked. Add to the oven dish and mix all ingredients well.

Combine the beaten eggs and the worcestershire sauce and poor over the other ingredients and mix through till all combined.

Cook at 175c for 45 mins. Grate a little parmesan over the top before serving.

WhitbyJet

Baked Vanilla Cheesecake

This is so simple, but ever so lush

4 tubs of quark
sweetener to taste
1 heaped tsp vanilla powder
4 tbsp coconut flour
t tsp butter, melted
6 eggs

berries, or tinned peaches or mandarins - optional or you could make a raspberry coulis, set with a little jelly or gelatine as topping, but the cheesecake is delicious without the addition of fruit

mix everything together, pour into a non-stick 26cm spring form tin, bake at 170 degrees for 50 minutes, switch off the oven and leave the tin inside, open the oven door ever so slightly (wedge in a spoon or something) and leave for another 10 minutes or more. The cake needs to cool gradually.

Here is the original recipe and photos but I have adapted the recipe:
http://www.daskochrezept.de/rezepte/saf ... 12658.html

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am posting recipes on here that are around 15 - 20 carbs per serving, some lower. Am i ok to post them in here or are they not really low carb? I personally eat between 60 - 100g carb a day so these meals are ok for me.

WhitbyJet

Mediterranean Burgers with Peppersauce

500 g mince
100 grated Gouda or crumbed Feta
1 egg
1 onion, finely chopped
fat clove of garlic, chopped
salt, freshly ground pepper
Oregano, rosemary, chiliflakes

Mix all together, shape into small burgers, fry in clarified butter until brown on both sides.

Serve with creamy, cheesy caulflower mash and pepper sauce.

Peppersauce:
1/2 red and 1/2 yellow pepper, cut into strips, then halved
small onion, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
bouillon powder, salt and pepper

melt butter in a pan, add onion, fry until golden, add peppers, fry one minute, add tomato puree, bouillon powder, salt, pepper and a small amount of water, simmer for about 5 minutes, add the burgers to the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

Attachments

• nötkött hamburgare.jpg
    nötkött hamburgare.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,181

TUI

Re: Mediterranean Burgers with Peppersauce

WhitbyJet said:

500 g mince
100 grated Gouda or crumbed Feta
1 egg
1 onion, finely chopped
fat clove of garlic, chopped
salt, freshly ground pepper
Oregano, rosemary, chiliflakes

Mix all together, shape into small burgers, fry in clarified butter until brown on both sides.

Serve with creamy, cheesy caulflower mash and pepper sauce.

Peppersauce:
1/2 red and 1/2 yellow pepper, cut into strips, then halved
small onion, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
bouillon powder, salt and pepper

melt butter in a pan, add onion, fry until golden, add peppers, fry one minute, add tomato puree, bouillon powder, salt, pepper and a small amount of water, simmer for about 5 minutes, add the burgers to the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

This looks delish going to try tonight

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All, I am o0n Atkins induction again, keeping on 20g carbs, trying to lose some more weight. I adore cuury but am pretty useless when it come to making it, it never seems to be as good as it should be. Has anyone got a curry recipe for me to try (I read somewhere that Defren liked her Madras), thanks, Deb x

TUI

I've just put one on but I'm afraid I just add what I feel like but one thing I would say is that it is 10 times better in a slow cooker, couldn't live without it

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi TUI, can't live without my curries but do the spices themselves have carbs in do you know?, Deb

WhitbyJet

Spicy tuna melts with celery and 3 breads

A member asked me to translate some Norwegian recipes, thought I might as well post these in the forum as well.
Norwegian/Swedish breads tend to be more like a thick flat bread style, you can tell from the photos, please look at the links, just in case you didnt realise, these are very nice though, I have made the rolls many times, excellent for bacon and egg sandwiches, or to take to work with you.

Spicy tuna melts with celery

1 can of tuna in oil

1 heaped tbsp finely chopped red onion

1 heaped tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper

1 heaped tbsp finely chopped celery

1 minced jalapeno pepper (with seeds)

1 chopped hard boiled eggs

5 finely chopped cornichons or cocktain gherkins or other pickled veggies you might like

approx. 3-4 heaped tbsp of good mayonnaise

1 tbsp vinegar from the cornichons/gherkins

salt & pepper

bit of mustard

4 slices low carb bread

some sliced ​​yellow cheese

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.

Drain tuna. Mix tuna, onion, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno, egg and cornichons. Stir in mustard, mayonnaise and cornichon vinegar. It may vary a little how much mayonnaise you need. Adjust so it looks right to you. Season with salt and pepper, taste the mixture.

Spread tuna mixture on your low carb bread and place on to a baking tray, a silicon one is best but if you havent got that use a lined, greased tray, bake the sandwiches in the oven for five minutes. Take them out of the oven and put cheese on top of the tuna mixture.

Put them back in oven and cook until the cheese bubbles and is golden brown.

Now you can use either of these breads:

Sunflower bread:
3 eggs
75g cream cheese
1/2 cup cream (1 cup = 250ml)
110g finely ground sunflower seeds
1 tbsp psyllium husks (but if you havent got these, just use finely ground flaxseeds instead, it will be ok)
1 heaped tsp baking powder
salt

Mix everything together in a food processor and place in a well buttered, square roasting tin, sprinkle sunflower seeds on top, bake at 170 degrees, thats fan assisted ovens, for 20 minutes or so. When cooled, cut into squares.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... kebrd.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Low carb bread with sour cream and parmesan

1 cup sunflower seeds - finely ground

1 cup sesame seeds - finely ground

100 ml wheat or oat bran

50 ml finely grated parmesan

1.5 teaspoons baking powder

1.5 tbsp psyllium husks or linseeds, ground

salt

1 tsp Splenda

1 cup sour cream

2 tbsp olive oil

4 eggs

sesame seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried herbs or similar for decoration

Mix all dry ingredients well. Whisk together the eggs, sour cream and oil, and mix with the dry ingredients.

Spread the mixture onto a lined, greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried herbs or whatever else you want to top it with. Za'atar is very nice too.

Bake the bread at 200 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... mesan.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast rolls (I already posted these once, but here it is again:

1 cup sesame seeds

50 ml sunflower seeds

50 ml wheat or oat bran

30 ml linseed

2 cups grated cheese

4 eggs

1 tbsp psyllium husks

1/2 tsp salt

1 heaped tsp baking powder

2 tsp nigella seeds (aka black onion seeds, Indian shops or ebay sell these)

poppy seeds or sesame seeds or other seeds for garnish
Grind sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Whisk together the eggs and mix them in the into the dry ingredients Leave the batter to thicken for about 10 - 15 minutes, if it is not thick enough for you to be able to shape the mixture into rolls you can add a bit more wheat/oat bran to make it thicker.

Shape mixture into large rolls, sprinkle seeds on top, bake at 180 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... ykker.html

WhitbyJet

CHIPS

These are the best low carb chips substitutes yet

1 celeriac, cut into chips
1 aubergine, peeled and cut into chips

coating:
130 ml parmesan
130ml coconut flour or ground almonds
salt and freshly ground pepper
dried parsley/onion or garlic powder (optional)

2 eggs, beaten

Ghee for frying

Peel celeriac, cut into chips, parboil for 3 minutes, while this is happening, peel aubergine, cut into chips.
Drain celeriac chips, wait until they are dry, heat ghee in a pan, dip the veggie chips into the beaten egg, then dip into the crumb mixture, fry chips on both sides until browned, drain on kitchen paper.

These are crispy, salty, good for dipping into your mayo/low carb ketchup/dips AND they got the thumbs up from a bunch of 9 year olds, definitely worth a go at these!!

Defren

diadeb said:
Hi All, I am o0n Atkins induction again, keeping on 20g carbs, trying to lose some more weight. I adore cuury but am pretty useless when it come to making it, it never seems to be as good as it should be. Has anyone got a curry recipe for me to try (I read somewhere that Defren liked her Madras), thanks, Deb x

No, not me. I like(ed) the mild creamy curries. Sorry. :(

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry Defren, I thought that it was you, I must have been mistaken, Deb x

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WhitbtyJet, do you think that the chips idea would work on swede instead of celeriac, Deb