WhitbyJet

I divide the mix into 12, so its 4 carbs each, depends how well you can control yourself then.
I am a porker and a couple of times I ate 4 of them, hmmm, ok didnt eat anything else until dinner though.
Find the ice chocolate lasts me longer.

WhitbyJet

Cheddar & Watercress Roulade

Todays lunch, we felt rather posh with this, was absolutely delicious!

Ingredients for 8 persons:

For the dough:
4 large leeks
2 bunches watercress
4 large eggs
300 ml cream
Salt, pepper
100 g Parmesan cheese
filling:
450 g Kerrygold, Original Irish farmhouse cheese
150g mayonnaise
Salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 200C.
Wash leeks and watercress, chop coarsely.
Whisk together the eggs and cream, stir in leeks and watercress, mix well.
Spread the mixture on to a lined baking tray, bake for 20 to 30 mins until golden brown.
In the meantime cut out some greaseproof paper slightly larger than the tray, place it flat on the work surface, sprinkle it with the grated parmesan cheese. Remove the pastry from the oven and immediately place baked side facing down on to the grated parmesan, leave to cool.
Mix mayonnaise with grated Cheddar cheese, spread over the cooled pastry, and carefully lift the edge of the greaseproof paper, rolling it up into a roulade.
Cut into slices serve with salad and dressing of your choice.

This is what it looks like

http://www.kerrygold.de/rezepte/hauptsp ... ublin.html

4.2 carbs per portion

Reactions: mariavontrapp

WhitbyJet

Celeriac Roesti

I hope I am not getting on peoples nerves by posting recipes, but despite low carbing I am still a proper foodie and want to share my personally tried and tested recipes.

Celeriac Roesti

400 g grated celeriac

olive oi/butter/ghee or a mix of both - whatever you want to use for fryingl

1 onion, thinly sliced

2 cloves minced garlic

salt & pepper

1 good handful of grated parmesan cheese

Cut the onion and garlic, melt ghee/butter and fry on medium heat for approx. 10 minutes until onions are really soft, but do not have coluor.

Add the grated celeriac, salt and pepper, and stirring frequently cook further for 20 minutes until celery root is soft.
Allow to cool slightly and mix in the Parmesan cheese.
Shape this mixture into balls, place on a lined, greased baking tray and flatten slightly.Place in the oven and cook at 200 degrees for 20 minutes, until rösti is golden and crispy.

Serve these with a dip of your choice, but especially good is creme fraiche mixed with a little horseradish sauce or creme fraiche mixed with finely chopped chives or lemon mayonnaise.

Here are some photos for you to see what this dish looks like, totally YUMMY.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... trsti.html

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
That rosti looks good but should it not be grated celeriac instead of celery?

Jane

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whitby jet,

Please do keep posting new recipes. Really appreciate the new ideas, as am still adjusting my diet to fit low carb. I seem to have got summery stuff sorted out but we've been having loads of salads which won't be all that appetising come winter, so am looking for new stuff to try out all the time. (And the roulade does look yummy) :)

Vicky

WhitbyJet

Oh hell yes its celeriac of course. Thank you for pointing this out Serena51. I have amended this now.
Goldfish_7 thank you for your message, I agree we need more comfort food for this time of year. I am always searching for new recipes and if they turn out right I will post them.
All the best x

Grazer

Hi Whitby, you kindly sent me details of your iced chocolate and almost bounty bars.
I've got all the ingredients, except I couldn't get the coconut oil. I got hazlenut oil instead - do you think it will work? Also, your recipe for iced chocolate said 30 grams of dessicated coconut and 100 grams of coconut oil. Sounds like a lot of oil _ Is that right? Also, could I swop the vanilla sugar for normal sweetener? (I use Canderel powder which seems to work well in most recipes, even when heated)
Cheers for now!
Grazer

WhitbyJet

Grazer - the measurements are correct for both oil and desiccated coconut.
I dont think the recipe works with hazelnut oil because it would not freeze, the mixture would remain a runny mess, whereas coconut oil, when chilled or frozen will solidify.
You can use a few drops of vanilla essence or extract instead of vanilla sugar.
I make my own vanilla sugar by buying a vanilla pod, slit it open, then place it in a jar of zsweet and over a couple of weeks it turns into vanilla sugar.
I didnt give the amount of sweetener because I use Splenda or Zsweet however people use different types of sweetener, so its best to taste the mixture till you have it sweetened to your liking.

I have another iced chocolate recipe if you would like to try that instead of the coconut one, its very easy to make,

130g coconut oil
30g cocoa powder
sweetener equiv to 170g sugar
few drops vanilla essence or extract
1cl Rum (if liked)

Melt coconut oil, mix in the rest of the ingredients, place in freezer.

WhitbyJet

WOW look at this recipe, incidentally fibre husk is available in the UK, I purchased mine from Holland & Barrett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-xfhlmBiU

And here is a step by step guide to low carb chips, we tried both the oven baked and pan fried, our family preferred the pan fried version, see what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UJ3nUaK ... re=related

I have loads more recipes waiting for us to try out before I will post them here.

All the best, happy low carbing :)

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have finally tracked down the coconut oil - had to order it as I couldnt find it anywhere. I was also having trouble as apparently you can use it for for more than cooking - hair conditioner, and according to one reviwer on amazon, massage! lol I think I shall stick to trying these chocolate coconut squares.They sound delicious. Thank you. I am also trying to track down golden flaxseed to make the chocolate tray bake. Do you have to order it? I am not very good at working out the carbs on my recipes but when I have got that sussed I will post a couple of my favourites on here ......

Clairy

WhitbyJet

clairy clutterbuck - I buy golden flaxseed from Holland & Barrett.
Do you need a good chocolate cake recipe? I am trying out a recipe from the Swedish lchf recipe site tomorrow, supposed to look like this, if it tastes good, family and friends are always willing to judge, I will post the recipe here.
Have a preview here
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1267

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Oh my goodness that look delicious!! I hope it turns out well..... :D I do struggle with sweet stuff. I mainly prefer savoury but when I fancy something sweet I can do some real damage if I am not careful. Really need to find some alternatives and I love baking. Look forward to hearing the results.

Grazer

WhitbyJet said:
Grazer - the measurements are correct for both oil and desiccated coconut.
I dont think the recipe works with hazelnut oil because it would not freeze, the mixture would remain a runny mess, whereas coconut oil, when chilled or frozen will solidify.

Thanks for this Whitby. You're right about the Hazlenut oil - I have a load of soggy "iced" chocolates! Still tasty though. The almost bounty's were good though. Used much more than the recommended amount of chocolate 'cos I couldn't get it thin enough to go around, so have thick choc bountys!
Thanks again
Grazer

WhitbyJet

Pleased the bounty bara worked out ok, try the iced chocolates with coconut oil, they are yummy. You can buy good coconut oil from most health food shops, I buy mine from ebay, tried various now I think I have found the best tasting ever, I will send you the link via PM, advertisements are not allowed in here I think.

All the best

WhitbyJet

Patch - the roulade is a sure fire hit, great as a lunch with a bit of salad or used it as a starter for a special meal last Sunday, its easy to do as well.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grazer said:
I've got all the ingredients, except I couldn't get the coconut oil.

Hiya!

I get my coconut oil (and nut butters and lots of other things!) at an on-line site called Healthy Supplies. I don't think I'm allowed to put the URL in this post, but if you Google Healthy Supplies you'll find them. Amazing store!

Smidge

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi Whitby Jet, have you tried the chocolate cake yet and if so where's mine lol Also how long does the roulade keep, only my hubby and I here so was hoping it might last a day or two......

claire