Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Evening all. Just a quick question. I have some lamb shanks and was thinking of making middle son's favourite Hot Pot. Has anyone done a Hotpot using celeriac instead of potato? If so, how was it and any tips or downsides to it? Thanking you in advance.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Just a quick question. I have some lamb shanks and was thinking of making middle son's favourite Hot Pot. Has anyone done a Hotpot using celeriac instead of potato? If so, how was it and any tips or downsides to it? Thanking you in advance.
I've made it with celeriac- it worked quite well you just don't get that thickening from the potato breaking down slightly- I just par boiled the celeriac to soften it a bit - meant I could put less stock in so it wasn't too sloppy

Reactions: miriamy and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I've made it with celeriac- it worked quite well you just don't get that thickening from the potato breaking down slightly- I just par boiled the celeriac to soften it a bit - meant I could put less stock in so it wasn't too sloppy

Thanks muchly.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Aubergine French Toast. I got this from a paleo site; https://empoweredsustenance.com/category/recipes/

Lots of interesting recipes. I do find that for some ingredients that I don’t have, I just substitute for whatever is in the cupboard, or just leave out.

So, aubergine French toast.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 aubergine - or eggplant if you are over the pond.
  • Sea salt.
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 Tbs. milk of choice
  • ½ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ¼ tsp. cinnamon, plus more for dusting
  • Coconut oil, ghee, butter, etc for pan.
  • Toppings of your choice.

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Peel the aubergine and slice it into about ¼ inch slices. Set the slices on a board and sprinkle both sides with salt. Place the salted slices in a colander and set aside for 30 minutes.
  2. You'll see what looks like condensation and a bit of brown liquid on the aubergine.. Rinse the slices well, then pat dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel. This process “tames” the aubergine flavor.
  3. Whisk the eggs with the milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Begin heating your skillet/pan over medium heat and add a little oil. Dunk the aubergine slices in the egg mixture, piercing the slices with a fork to encourage absorption.
  4. Cook the slices until golden - they will look like french toast! Serve warm. These pair well with bold-flavored toppings such as cinnamon, coconut, nut butter or maple syrup.

Last edited:
Reactions: miriamy

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I recently found a microwave mug bread recipe somewhere on here, (Almond flour , egg , baking powder and melted butter) It's great but sometime when I have the bready urge I don't to taste eggs. I want to pretend it's Mother's Pride from 1978 ;). What would work instead ? More baking powder? Just wondered what a low carb egg free version might be.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One thing I like is Persian green herb stew - preparing the herbs takes time so I buy ready chopped frozen herbs, or soak some dried herbs in water. You can make a veggie version by omitting the meat and using a few extra beans. Serve with cauliflower rice, a green salad and Greek yogurt.

Ingredients
1 onion
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1 lb stewing meat [or chicken, just don't cook for as long!]
4 dried Persian limes [these are the small whole dried 'limes', available in many Asian shops]
1/3 cup kidney beans, dried
4 cups fresh parsley, packed
2 cups fresh coriander,packed
1 cup fresh fenugreek
2 cups fresh chives
salt & pepper
oil
[optional use a small pack of chopped spinach too]

Soak beans for a few hours. Small dice onion and mince garlic. Saute in oil until translucent. Add turmeric and stir well. Cut meat [if using chicken add it later] into cubes and add to onion. Season with salt and pepper and allow to brown on all sides. Make a couple of small holes each of the dried limes. Add to the beans. Add 4 cups of water, cover, and cook on medium for 1 hour.

In the meantime finely chop herbs. Sauté herbs a large handful at a time in oil for a few minutes until you smell the aroma of the herbs. This is a very important step in making this recipe. I highly recommend that you don’t skip it because it really does make a difference in the taste. The fenugreek will taste bitter if you don't fry it first.

Add herbs to the beef and beans [add chicken now]. Cook covered on medium low for 2 hours. Make sure to stir the pot every so often and also taste and adjust seasoning.

Serve over rice.
Some people eat the limes, I love them, but you might want to remove them?

It tastes even better the next day.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello

I recently found a microwave mug bread recipe somewhere on here, (Almond flour , egg , baking powder and melted butter) It's great but sometime when I have the bready urge I don't to taste eggs. I want to pretend it's Mother's Pride from 1978 ;). What would work instead ? More baking powder? Just wondered what a low carb egg free version might be.
It's the egg yolk that gives the eggy taste. I wonder if just using the egg white as a binder would work?
I made 3 lots of icecream last week using 6 egg yolks in each batch. I put the egg whites in containers and froze them, intending to use them for omelettes some time.
When I defrost them I will use some to make the mug bread with just egg white to see if it works.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the egg yolk that gives the eggy taste. I wonder if just using the egg white as a binder would work?
I made 3 lots of icecream last week using 6 egg yolks in each batch. I put the egg whites in containers and froze them, intending to use them for omelettes some time.
When I defrost them I will use some to make the mug bread with just egg white to see if it works.

Good idea. let me know if it works :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good idea. let me know if it works :)
@VioletViolet I defrosted one container of egg white yesterday to make an omelette. I used 65g of the egg white to make the mug bread - I had weighed an egg and that was the weight.
It did work. The mug bread didn't rise as much as with the yolk included. That could be because I might not have used exactly the same amount of baking powder or coconut flour. It was maybe a third less, but enough for 3 slices. It was more white in colour, and didn't taste eggy. It wasn't so spongy, more dense but ok.
I will probably use my remaining egg whites to make it again, but I don't think I would separate yolks just to make it. Only if I was using the yolks anyway to make something.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@VioletViolet I defrosted one container of egg white yesterday to make an omelette. I used 65g of the egg white to make the mug bread - I had weighed an egg and that was the weight.
It did work. The mug bread didn't rise as much as with the yolk included. That could be because I might not have used exactly the same amount of baking powder or coconut flour. It was maybe a third less, but enough for 3 slices. It was more white in colour, and didn't taste eggy. It wasn't so spongy, more dense but ok.
I will probably use my remaining egg whites to make it again, but I don't think I would separate yolks just to make it. Only if I was using the yolks anyway to make something.

Thank you - much appreciated. I won't faff with separating eggs for the sake of it but if I ever have any spare I will try it :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @DJC3, no I haven't tried making bread or rolls other than the mug bread. Making it did encourage me into looking into making keto bread and i did order 1 kg of psyllium husk online, which has been delivered. I also ordered onion powder to make keto naans. i couldn't find either of those ingredients in supermarkets.
I will be having a go at it next week probably.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3, no I haven't tried making bread or rolls other than the mug bread. Making it did encourage me into looking into making keto bread and i did order 1 kg of psyllium husk online, which has been delivered. I also ordered onion powder to make keto naans. i couldn't find either of those ingredients in supermarkets.
I will be having a go at it next week probably.

You’re right, supermarkets dont seem to stock this stuff. Hope you like them.

Sunny_day

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I miss wholemeal so add in some milled flaxseed, and a little (a teaspoon or less) cream cheese seems to cut the eggy taste a bit.

If you cut out the egg yolks it doesn’t taste eggy - the egg taste is from the yolk. See the website sugar-free Londoner, which has a great almond flour and egg white recipe you can make quickly in a mug; it’s nice toasted and it’s pretty bread like. I recommend it.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Lately I have been using these diy Keto Bricks as my carry around snack. Or my, I’m feeling too lazy to make anything meal. Because they are cacao butter based, they don’t melt like coconut oil based snacks. I also add a bit of vanilla or chocolate extract or erythritol since I don’t have flavored MCT oil powder. I will also make a large batch come summer to use as emergency food. We get hurricanes where I live.
Credit goes to Liv at https://livbreatheketo.com/perfect-macro-bombs/

INGREDIENTS
60g Cacao butter
1 scoop or 31g Isopure protein powder – vanilla
2 scoops or 24g Perfect Keto MCT oil powder – vanilla
2 tbsps Flaxseed meal (finely ground)
22g Cacao Nibs
1 tsp finely ground coffee beans
¼ tsp finely ground Himalayan salt

1 mini brownie silicone mold

INSTRUCTIONS
**You will need a food scale for measuring ingredients**

- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the cacao butter then set bowl aside.
- In a coffee/spice grinder, add your coffee, salt, and flax meal. Pulse until it is finely ground.
- Add all the ingredients in the bowl with your cacao butter and mix, mash, and stir until a dough forms. If it’s too dry, you can microwave it for 10 seconds at a time to melt the cacao butter and make it more moldable (it won’t get too soft though). It will end up being a non-sticky, less soft dough.
- Equally portion the dough into 8 cavities in your silicone mold. (I used a 1 TVs scoop to do this)
- Put the mold into the freezer to chill until the macro bombs are solid, then pop them out of the mold and store in a plastic bag or container.

These WILL stay solid at room temperature. The freezer makes them really hard to bite, but good for storing long term. You can use them as fat bombs, or just snacks, they are perfect for keto!

NUTRITION for 1/8th recipe
Nutrient info will vary depending on the brands of ingredients you use. Cals: 125 Fat: 11.3g Carbs: 2g Fiber: 1.6g Protein: 3.9g (Net Carbs: .4g)

Monitor. Thanks for removing the links. I didn’t/ don’t know how to do it. Then again, it took me almost 20 minutes to figure out how to add to my blog spot. Hope next time only takes 15 minutes. No, I didn’t grow up with computers, obviously.

Last edited:

StuartMoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss wholemeal so add in some milled flaxseed, and a little (a teaspoon or less) cream cheese seems to cut the eggy taste a bit.
Milled flaxseed when mixed with hot water forms a gloopy consistency which is a good egg white substitute and gluten in wheat bread flour.