Low Carb Roast Beef Sandwich (4g)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really? How interesting. I will see if they will test for it. I had a few off the rails days last week on holiday and one of those was a sandwich and I literally felt like I had been poisoned!
Certainly does. Allergy testing doesn't always show up. Celiac testing does but an intolerance won't. Sometimes the symptoms of intolerance are worse than celiac. My daughter is extremely intolerant with no allergy or celiac but buckles over in pain at the smallest crumb. She's 27 now but this started around 14. I too am gluten and grain intolerant. Not to that point but I stay far away now.

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I personally use an iPhone app called "MyNetDiary" to count my carbs, record my blood sugar readings, and record my insulin injections. I haven't found any app that does that all. It's been quite helpful.

The meter I use now is call Dario. Not sure how new it is but it uses my cell phones head phone jack. You plug it in to the head phone jack, put in a test strip and poke. The whole package is small and fits in my pocket so I never "forget" it at home. I didn't like carrying my big case with a bunch of strips, meter and lancets. The only problem I have with it is there is no place to keep extra lancets. The app is really good and has a great food tracker in it. I'm surprised that I still haven't found a food that it doesn't have in it's list. For those on insulin it has calculator function to help with doses. I don't use insulin so can't say if it's good or bad. It can also link with a few fitness apps if you want it to. I think the app is free and you can manually enter your numbers if you want. It also syncs wiht their website so you can check your charts on a bigger monitor. Might be worth checking out.

Only problem I have with all apps is you can't import/export readings between them. I have one app for my first 4 months and another app with one month and now this one for that last couple.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have only just seen this, @JenniferG - am about to add processed cheese to my online grocery order - can't wait for that van to come tomorrow.....!

:p

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK that sounds tasty, cheese slices now added to the shopping list, I wonder if it would work with sliced smoked cheese?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a slicer device - like a tiny bacon slicer, so I slice the meat thinly and wrap it around whatever stuff I like, or sometimes I lay it in a lettuce leaf and then add tomato coleslaw etc. fold in the edges and then add another leaf for the top. Bread is so boring by comparison.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you seen this, @Terryrhino ?!

Maybe you're like me and want a juicy roast beef sandwich, but have been avoiding them because you don't want to consume bread.

Well this unbelievablly tasty recipe is an excellent solution. It's like eating a roast beef & cheese sandwich between 2 puffy semi-soft cheez-its but without the carbs. So light, crunchy & flaky yet still holds together without falling apart.

Take two slices of processed cheese with 1g each of carbs. (The photo below is of "American" flavored cheese--I've also used "Swiss" flavored.) Place on wax/parchment/freezer paper or a silicone pad and microwave for about 40 to 45 seconds. If you microwave too long they become too brittle and makes the sandwich fall apart as you bite into it. If you microwave with too short of a duration, it'll be too gooey in the center.

Then just add your mayo, mustard, zero carb roast beef slices, zero carb slice of cheese (like the swiss below) and a couple very thin slices of tomato (2g carbs).

The total is 4 grams of carbs. Contrast this with about 30g of carbs for a sandwich with two slices of bread (which don't taste any better than these crispy airy cheesy puffs--which amazingly tastes like a comfort food similar to the way carbs taste). That's a difference of 26g. For me personally that means I can reduce my daily insulin injection by 9 units! For this single sandwich alone!
16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Enjoy! If you try this and like it, please let me know! Thanks!

16kzv5u.jpg