Low Carb, should I count calories?

Loumo

Hi All,

I’ve been following LCHF for the last month or so after losing 3 stone on the Newcastle diet, I’m type 2 and have managed to reduce meds and am now taking just Metformin.

I’m currently just under 15 stone and would like to lose another 2 or 3 stone. My weight loss has stalled over the past couple of weeks so I’m hoping for some advice on if I am doing everything right.

I’m currently aiming for 1200-1500 Cals per day, 15% (45g) of which carbs, 55% (73g) fat, 30% (90g) protein, does this sound about right?

Do others count calories or should I be losing weight with a low carb life style anyway?

Would really appreciate advice on how to lose more weight on LCHF.

Thanks in advance

Lou

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you also seeing normal blood glucose levels?
If you are still going high after meals I'd advise cutting back maybe 5 gm of carbs a day or trying eating different amounts at different meals - I need to have some carbs with my first meal, but not many in order to keep my BG steady and low.
If you are seeing normal numbers then perhaps a change in exercise would do the trick. If you usually walk try swimming or cycling, or buy a trampoline or skipping rope.
I use a small resistance spring thing and am trying to increase my upper body strength - it seems to be working, my grandchildren seem to be getting lighter.

Loumo

Are you also seeing normal blood glucose levels?
If you are still going high after meals I'd advise cutting back maybe 5 gm of carbs a day or trying eating different amounts at different meals - I need to have some carbs with my first meal, but not many in order to keep my BG steady and low.
If you are seeing normal numbers then perhaps a change in exercise would do the trick. If you usually walk try swimming or cycling, or buy a trampoline or skipping rope.
I use a small resistance spring thing and am trying to increase my upper body strength - it seems to be working, my grandchildren seem to be getting lighter.

Hi Resurgam,
Lol re grandchildren getting lighter

My BG is close to normal, fasting 5-6, 7-8 or less after a meal, I do a lot of exercise (Running and HIIT about 5 times a week) but I like your suggestion of mixing things up a bit exercise wise, I think I may try more resistance and weights to see if I get a better weight loss result.

If I cut back carbs by 5g, do you think I should replace it with fat or protein?

Thanks again, really appreciate your advice.

Lou

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that the ratio of fat and protein is all that important - I usually just do what I fancy at the time, as I think that your body does hint at what it needs. Sometimes I will cut off more meat at others I really fancy mushrooms fried gently in olive oil - sometimes I seek out kippers other times cod - I think that we often know more than we realize about what we ought to be eating.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I’ve been following LCHF for the last month or so after losing 3 stone on the Newcastle diet, I’m type 2 and have managed to reduce meds and am now taking just Metformin.

I’m currently just under 15 stone and would like to lose another 2 or 3 stone. My weight loss has stalled over the past couple of weeks so I’m hoping for some advice on if I am doing everything right.

I’m currently aiming for 1200-1500 Cals per day, 15% (45g) of which carbs, 55% (73g) fat, 30% (90g) protein, does this sound about right?

Do others count calories or should I be losing weight with a low carb life style anyway?

Would really appreciate advice on how to lose more weight on LCHF.

Thanks in advance

Lou
Please remember that you have just completed a "starvation" diet (ND) so your body is probably under some stress. LCHF will likely help you to lose weight but it may take a while for it to recover from your ND period.
I see quite a lot of people who transition from ND to LCHF and seem surprised that their weight loss stalls or that they gain some weight back.

Loumo

All sounds sensible, thanks again Resurgam.

You make a good point Bulkbiker, I am probably guilty of being a tad impatient, especially after seeing the fast results of the Newcastle diet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would give yourself a bit more time for your body to adjust to extra calories, but cutting those carbs a wee bit in favour of fats from protein sources (eg extra eggs/) you will be reducing the carb percentage and increasing the fat and protein percentages, and helping your blood sugars reduce a bit more .

Loumo

I would give yourself a bit more time for your body to adjust to extra calories, but cutting those carbs a wee bit in favour of fats from protein sources (eg extra eggs/) you will be reducing the carb percentage and increasing the fat and protein percentages, and helping your blood sugars reduce a bit more .
Thanks Bluetit1802 I will do just that.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lou

I don't think you can cut calories further and this sounds like quite low levels, but would definitely go for more resistance work then intermittent fasting with some caveats!
This can be in a gym or at home using kettlebells, resistance bands and body weight. A HiiT circuit I did today x 5 (30 minutes):
15 squat jumps + 15 squat thrusts (squat with overhead press) + 20 burpees + 15 sit ups/crunches + 20 jump lunges + 30 seconds sprint on the spot. Sub in press ups/tricep dips from the sofa for more upper body focus. Anything that uses large muscle groups is great e.g. don't bother with bicep curls!
It was raining so I was not keen to go out! More muscles = greater insulin sensitivity = less insulin needed = less fat stored when excess carbs are taken in and not immediately used.
Sometimes intermittent fasting can kick start stalled weight loss particularly if you are a woman over 40. I don't know if either condition applies!
However I think having normal blood sugars with minimum meds is a better goal than weight loss from a metabolic health perspective. Hopefully the 2 things will happen naturally but after such quick weight loss on the Newcastle diet, you should expect things to slow down. Sounds like you do have good blood sugars and are already doing lots of great exercise things so why not be a little patient whilst keeping an eye on blood sugars and watching out for the creeping in of carbs which could occur if you overly restrict them and don't replace with fat and protein.

Loumo

Hi Lou

I don't think you can cut calories further and this sounds like quite low levels, but would definitely go for more resistance work then intermittent fasting with some caveats!
This can be in a gym or at home using kettlebells, resistance bands and body weight. A HiiT circuit I did today x 5 (30 minutes):
15 squat jumps + 15 squat thrusts (squat with overhead press) + 20 burpees + 15 sit ups/crunches + 20 jump lunges + 30 seconds sprint on the spot. Sub in press ups/tricep dips from the sofa for more upper body focus. Anything that uses large muscle groups is great e.g. don't bother with bicep curls!
It was raining so I was not keen to go out! More muscles = greater insulin sensitivity = less insulin needed = less fat stored when excess carbs are taken in and not immediately used.
Sometimes intermittent fasting can kick start stalled weight loss particularly if you are a woman over 40. I don't know if either condition applies!
However I think having normal blood sugars with minimum meds is a better goal than weight loss from a metabolic health perspective. Hopefully the 2 things will happen naturally but after such quick weight loss on the Newcastle diet, you should expect things to slow down. Sounds like you do have good blood sugars and are already doing lots of great exercise things so why not be a little patient whilst keeping an eye on blood sugars and watching out for the creeping in of carbs which could occur if you overly restrict them and don't replace with fat and protein.
Hi Nicole,

I’m over 40 (only just ) and a woman so your advice is perfect! I’m going to look into intermittent fasting now...... thank you!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A really good podcast I know called Primal Potential categorised those seeking to achieve a (wight loss) goal as:
Wishers (those who wish they could lose weight but never actually seriously try)
Wanderers (those who jump from dietary practice to dietary practice but never consistently stick to what works for them before their attention is deflected by another thing to try).
Warriors those who just get on with what they need to do day after day. These are the people who do the right things consistently without worrying about a 'win' on the scales each week.