LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

MisterMoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Success stories

Results after first 3 months:
HBA1c 11% down to 7.2%
Cholesterol 7.1 to 5.9 will get full breakdown when I see the doc.
Trigs 5.6 down to 3.3.
Weight 93kg down to 86kg.

Previously tried the Hays diet (food combining a long time ago) and found which foods made me feel rough or gave me indigestion. So got onto the habit of having one low carb meal a day - but was still eating a lot of carbs at other times. After a session for the newly diagnosed at the local hospital thought I had been eating incorrectly - so tried the recommended carbs with every meal - felt dreadful spent most of the day asleep - instictively knew that this couldn't be the right way and after just one day of carbs with every meal fortuantely found this site - since then I have been following a low carb diet - about 60g a day most days.
I know I still have work to do reducing my BG levels but I am relieved about the cholesterol levels since I have been eating more saturated fat and I have a two egg omelette for breakfast everyday.
However the Doctor wants to see me - their tartget for cholesterol is 4 - should be interesting, it usually means they want me to take statins which upto now I have refused to take. I have been drinking one Flora proactive at breakfast - not sure if they work - so I have stopped them now until my next full bloods.

At the moment I take 2 500g glucophage a day, one at breakfast and one with evening meal. The lowest I have seen my BG is 5.8 so now I have been told to take 3 500g a day - one at breakfast and two with evening meal.

Still room for improvement but no doubt in my mind that low carb is the best way for me.

Regards

Alan

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi all,

Just had my annual diabetes clinic check this morning and well pleased with the results:
HBA1C down from 6.6% in Sept to 5.7% now.
Cholesterol unchanged at 4.3.
Weight down from 87.4kg in June to 84.5kg now.
Blood pressure now 132/76. Up from 117/71 when last checked in June but still pretty healthy.

The diabetes nurse remarked on how healthy and fit I looked. I mentioned the reduced carb diet, expecting a ticking off, but instead she just said "good for you". I was a bit gob-smacked!

Needless to say I will be continuing with my diet of an average of 100 - 120g carbs per day!

Reactions: sassycat

jamesensor

I found my own diet by trial and error

I am controlling diabetes 2 with Avandamet and have been able to reduce my blood sugar readings and weight over a few months. MY GP is young and enthusiastic but did not know much more about diet than I did. The nurse, who was pregnant, just told me to eat what she ate - without giving me a list. So I have had to work out what works for me, largely for myself with help from this forum.

The periods of intense fatigue, overthirstiness and muscular pains in my buttocks ( which I believe to be a side-effect) have all but disappeared. My wife has willy nilly followed the same diet and has also lost weight and felt much healthier. I am now able to identify any problem foods by a feeling of tiredness after meals, as this is now a rare situation

As I ate almost no direct sugar, cakes, biscuits, soft drinks or sweets there was no obvious target. But I abandoned both beer and bread, and all other drinks soft or hard although I still drink wine. The biggest effect came from cutting out all ready meals and processed foods, which contain huge amounts of concealed sugar in the most unlikely places such as curries soups and pies. Rice, potatoes, cous -cous and starchy vegetables have been cut to minimal amounts in favour of fresh meat and fish from the butcher`s shelves at the supermarket. I still eat beans, lentils and chickpeas which I feel contain more roughage to the carbohydrate content and eat plenty of oatcakes, cheese, fresh vegetbles and fresh fruit.

I no longer bother about fats in the shape of cheese, although I drink no milk as I suspect lactose. Although this sounds a bit like the Atkins protein diet, I am not totally rigourous about just eating protein but have eg replaced toast at breakfast by fishcakes, and coffee by tea or decaff, as I saw an US study which queried caffeine as a catalyst in blood sugar levels. I try to eat through the day in much smaller amounts, re-introducing elevenses and tea. This is working for me and my non-diabetic wife and is relatively painless to try yourself. It even costs less overall and takes just a little more cooking time.

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Bad manors, exercising, not being able to eat what i want, being skint, getting up.

Well it's been 3 weeks from diagnosis and starting eating low carb. I've lost 9lbs and my BS is in single figures between 5.2 and 7.9 and i'm learning what foods raise my BS. i can eat 2 med potatoes without any effect but pasta, sends it sky high, even Dreamfields. Psycologicaly being able to have potatoes again has been a huge boost. I'v never been one for sweets but i loved my mash. Just got to keep on top of portion size. Den, my extreamly fantastic supportive husband has been my rock. He buys all the right foods and has become a real diabeticologist!! :lol: thanks Fergus for letting me in on the low carb rule, i'd never have known about it if you hadn't posted it here. I'd still be struggling.
I feel 100 times more positive then i did 3 weeks ago. Got hba1c again in 5 week time, looking forward to the results. :wink:
p.s my nurse is for low carbing. :D

Reactions: TIANDB and sassycat

nanna66

Hello, newbie here! I was diagnosed in Feb last year with type 2 after having a very nasty leg abcess. The GP told me that they are now advocating aggressive treatment from diagnosis and put me on metformin 1500mg daily, now increased to 2000mg with the threat of more meds to come! Being a complete newcomer to diabetes I did as I was asked and took the medication like a 'good girl'. My blood tests have shown that my average levels have been 7.7 although my meter tells me more often than not it was much higher at between 7-11. I have struggled with diets both to control my blood sugars and weight, the weight being a long term problem.
Having been a repeated visitor to your forum I have been trying to come to terms with low-carb as I am your typical carb addict. It has taken me a while but I finally took the plunge three days ago and for the first time since testing my levels have gone down to 4.1-4.4!! This has never happened before, and I am now waiting to see if the weight goes in a similar direction. I feel much more energetic and think this is now the way forwards for me, even though it's early days!!
Thank you, thank you!!!

samcogle

Hi, I am a newcomer too and have thorougly enjoyed reading all the different advice. I was following Dr Barnard's book on reversing Type 2. It is very high carb but I thought I would give it a go. My BG ranged from 10 to 15 and I had resigned myself that it was meant to be and that the Dr would probably up my meds at our next meeting.
Anyway, after some very good advice on here (especially when I was asked what I typically eat in a day and was told it was full of carbs) I decided to try low carb. It has only been a week but I have lost 3lb and my BG reading goes between 4 and 7. I am over the moon and can't wait to tell the endocrinologist tomorrow at my first appointment :)
Thanks to you all x

Jo123

Well I have just had my first blood test back after my intial high fasting glucose diagnosis and (drum roll) my fasting bg was 5.3 and my HbA1c was 5.4% ( not measured before) which I am thrilled with. I feel a lot less tired than I used to, my frozen shoulder went completely in the first month, and my blurred vision is gone. And best of all I can now fit into a size 10 in proper fashionable shops, hence my whole new wardrobe!! I have to say that in the last three months not a potato, grain of rice, morsel of bread or simlar has touched my lips, only eaten berries in the fruit line so I really have tried hard.

However a little concerned about a couple of things, doctor said my test was satisfactory and doesn't want to see me so can I pick your brains.

My serum urea level has gone from 5.5 (normal) to 7.7 (high), what does this mean? I am eating more protein but within the daily recommended amount.
My hdl has gone from 1.3 to 1.7, good I gather.
My ldl has gone from 2.6 to 3.7, still within guidlines but not so good I guess.
My total cholesterol has gone from 4.2 to 5.6 this is marked as bad but is it so if most of it is HDL.
My trigs went from 0.7 to 0.5, good.
My ratio of HDL/total cholesterol gone from 3.2 to 3.3, is this better or worse.
Now as I understand it is the ratio of hdl to ldl cholesterol which is important not the total cholesterol which is fairly meaningless as it could all be bad cholesterol or mostly good, have I got this right? I think I am most worried about the serum urea, though presumably the doc would have wanted to see me if he had been concerned.

Norm

I was diagnosed type 2 about a year ago and was given the conventional advice about balanced diet and needing to lose weight bla bla bla. I found this forum and read about people low carbing and was very sceptical, after all it was contrary to all the advice I had been given. I struggled on following the conventional advice and with huge efforts, giving up alcohol, tiny portions etc., I did manage to lose a few kilos in weight. But why did I always feel knackered? Not only knackered, life was flat, I had the vague feeling that all my best years were long gone and the future wasn't anything to look forward to. Privation after privation to lose some more weight and still feeling like ****! Then a couple of weeks back, I read this thread. Then I re-read it. It suddenly dawned on me that all these people saying how much they improved, that there must be something to this lo carb stuff after all. After a little discussion with my wife, with her initially greatly dissapproving of me going against conventional wisdom, decided it was worth a go. After the first day of lo carbing, I woke up feeling a little better than my usual comatose zombie state. I never said anything and put it down to wishful thinking perhaps. The second morning I knew it wasn't wishful thinking, I really did feel good! After a couple of years of feeling like a dish rag, to feel so good (probably just normal) was a complete revelation. I am only in week three now and have a lot to learn but there is no turning back for me. I am losing weight and don't ever feel hungry but that is a minor benefit compared to the way I feel, it is all worth it just for that. I have reduced my Metformin from 3 a day to two and my BG is always lo to mid 5's. Thank you for all those who persisted, ther must be many folk tied to the party line still who I am sure would benefit by trying this just to see for themselves.

peppiB

5 weeks into low carbing and 4 weeks of testing blood, my reading just now (2 hours after a lunch of ham, lamb and tomato) is down to 5.8 :D :D That is the lowest I have ever had by some considerable distance (next lowest was 7.4 Saturday night) so I am well pleased. Also have lost half a stone and feel much better and am rarely hungry between meals. Morning blood is still a problem, though, between 8.1 and 9.8 (down from over 10 at one point)

I can't walk, but can ride a bike so have a feeling it may come out of the garage if this fine weather continues.Only trouble there is the route I usually take passes several pubs, 2 of which always needed a visit from me. Can't do that now :( Also got my free swim pass this morning whilst at pool ( the woman I am carer to goes and swims a mile each day, 5 days a week :shock: I may just go in for a paddle later this week)

JulieR

Back in Feb...

I posted a big thank you to all the guys who had contributed to the posts on low carbing. I have been t2 for 4 years (4 x 500g Glucophage last thing at night)and following the advice of my diabetic nurse my HBA1c continued to get higher after each test, my weight did not really change either...couple pounds gained..couple of pounds lost.

My Dec/Jan test showed my HBA1 at 8.5 my first 4 years ago was 7, so no improvements there and yet again the diet advice I was given was to have carbs at every meal ( potatoes, bread, rice or pasta) but keep the portion size roughly the size of my fist.

I came out of there thinking what a waste of money to keep getting tested and no improvement.....anyway finally I decided I should find out more (I know I ask myself the same...what took me so long..doh) and I found Diabetes.co.uk.

I read around the site, it felt a bit like I was snooping as I never contributed but finally I decided that I would test, test, test and give the low carbing ago.

I have never looked back......it was difficult for a couple of weeks, having previously been a carb junkie, but my cravings went, I was in control, my food now is Sue's rainbow, Fergus' bread, meat and fish, I can have full fat creme fraiche to make delicious sauces, I love caully mash!!! I could go on and on and on about food, about how I know I can eat potatoes but bread and rice are poison to me..and pasta looks so slimy now, so I dont want that anymore..but I wont.

No, I want to just give my results and ask advice. My results last week showed my HBA1 as 6.5, my nurse was impressed and asked me, " what on earth have you been upto", and I passed on my experience of low carbing, lets hope she too passes it on. I have also lost 18Ilbs (7Ilb first week and about 1 every week since I started) my LDL is 1.9, Cholesterol 3.3, trig 1.8 all down, down. The only worrying thing I think, is my HDL is 0.6. this is a slight improvement on last time of 0.5. Does anyone know how to improve this, I do take high dose of Omega 3 everyday.

All advice very welcome, keep up the good work, I dont contribute, but really appreciate the diversity of ideas on here, oh and the recipes...kind regards Jule..

danq

hi all
been low (almost no) carbing now for only 4 weeks. since starting i have lost a lb per week in weight ( i really need to lose weight) my evening blood sugar went down fron 12 is after my meal to between 4.7 and 6.5 and stayed the same overnight. tonight i didnt take my gliclazide ( i am on 4 a day) and my blood sugar is 7.5. It seems to work for me, been type 2 for about 5 years. i even feel better and less tired and dont feel so hungry.i am really glad i found this forum and the low carb diet.
danq :)

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious

well done to everybodyits grate to read so many good stories and this did give me personally a grate deal of hope when i was placed on medicaition like so many other stories have seen a great reduction in medicines and have overall better control i think personally that testing is an important part of trying to keep an eye on your bs once it hopefully comes under control it does give you an idea on what carbs foods etc you can handle without doing this like so many nurses tell you how do you know whats going on

raftartan

Dislikes
How the food industry contrives to make us ill.

I just tried to lose weight and measure my blood sugar levels more frequently which revealed that certain carbohydrates that I was eating elevated my blood sugar level higher and for longer.That group included potatoes, bread and bran flakes which when eliminated allowed me to reduce my insulin from 90 units per day to zero. My bmi has reduced from 29.5 to just below 25 and my A1C reading runs at circa 5.8%. I have now been off insulin for the past 36 months after 14 years of twice daily injections. At a recent NHS diabetic conference they were talking of a better than 90% success rate with surgical weight loss interventions when weight had been reduced by 20% my weight loss currently is 18.9% (only life style change required). Some of the progress made by many people who have brought their BMI down to 22 and seen their A1C drop to 4.5% is very impressive particularlily as they have dramatically improved their cholesterol levels. So far I have managed to reduce my medication from 12 types to 5 some of which were related to my heart attack (MI) in 1992 during which time I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. My eating program over the past three years is to eat nothing that had a mother and focus on vegetables, fruit and nuts and am currently exploring how to reverse arterial plaque and take my weight reduction to 25% from my start point orv a bmi of 22 which ever comes first. One of my remaining drugs is amiodarone to stablise my heart which constantly misses beats but has just recently started to impact on my thyroid which affects my metabolism and my weight loss program.
Over the years I have found it somewhat difficult to get actual results for the various blood test rather than the standard reply that you are ok which I believe is totally inadequate and hope that more people ask for the real data which should not be hidden..My story in greater detail can be found at www.mactartan.co.uk

JayF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I had been on insulin (high doses) for Type 2 for about 10 years until a new consultant at the diabetic clinic realised my body had become insulin-resistant. I could do what I wanted, i.e. ate less, exercised etc. but would only lose about 2 kgs in weight. My BMI at the time was 32.1. With Reductil and a low carb diet (cereal for breakfast and two small (new) potatoes or similar with my evening meal) I have seen the weight drop off over the last 9 months. My BMI is down to 24 (loss of 20 kgs) and I have been taken off insulin! I am now on Glicazide but have just had to introduce a small dose of Lantus overnight as my pancreas seemed to go to sleep when I did! I still maintain the low carb diet. I eat cereal for breakfast (porridge, oat crunchies or similar with semi-skimmed milk and a whole fresh red or pink grapefuit). Lunch consists religiously of fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries (with sweetner if necessary) topped with a whole tub of Mueller light low fat yoghurt! I eat fairly normal food for my evening meal but with a very very small amount of carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta or bread) followed by fresh fruit. This works for me and as a previous user said you have to take control of it yourself. I do not think I could go completely without carbs - but restricting myself to a normal amount in the morning, none at lunch, and a small amount in the evening seems to do the trick coupled with exercise (40" cycling 3x week). My weight has remained stable. The downside was that I had to give all my clothes to a charity shop and buy a complete new wardrobe! I would definitely recommend it.

Reactions: TIANDB

phil2440

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BMWs

Hi all. Thought I'd share my experiences with you. Been low carbing for a couple of weeks and I'm amazed. No BG swings and no Hypos :) . Even better, I've lost over 9lb :D :D .
I haven't been paying much attention to portion control so I reckon with a bit more discipline I can lose even more weight or even stop taking the Glimpride. My next hurdle is facing down my professional advisers :wink: . They confused the hell out of me last year when I was first diagnosed!

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Bad manors, exercising, not being able to eat what i want, being skint, getting up.

Hi everyone, here are my blood results at the 6 month mark. I was diagnosed in jan 09 and went onto a low carb diet with your help a week later.

Jan 09
HDL cholesterol 1.0
Triglycerides 5.50
Total cholesterol 6.1
Hb A1c 9.5
weight 12st 7lb
June 09
HDL cholesterol 4.4
Triglycerides 2.10
Total cholesterol 4.0
LDL cholestreol 2.3
Hb A1c 6.5
weight 10st 3lb

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

Hello,

I’ve just had my blood tests back, and after all my championing of the low-carb way I thought I should post them. I think they are ok; not quite as good as I’d have wanted (still not back in the 5% club...) but this is the best HbA1c I’ve had since June 2003 (when I had an HbA1c of 5.8 ) and the lipids are not too bad so I think worthy of a 'Success Story' post.

My consolation is that I’ve been doing no exercise this year as my time has been consumed by my infant son (which is a good excuse as any...) so when I dust off the running shoes I should be able to improve further. Anyway, enough of the waffle:

Type 1 diabetic, low carb diet (less than 40 grams a day), on 20 mg Artorvastatin, Lisinopril and Aspirin.

HbA1c 6.5%
Total cholesterol 4.4 mmol/L
HDL 1.31 mmol/L
LDL 2.55 mmol/L
Triglycerides 1.18 mmol/L

One thing I was particularly happy with was my albumin/creatinine ratio – I have previously been monitored for kidney problems with my kidneys showing a mild ‘leaking’ of blood and protein, these results show the ratio at 2.3 which is apparently back in the normal range (of less than 2.5) so no leaking for me at the moment..!

One of the things that this site has done is crystallise for me that the HbA1cs that we can achieve are much better than our health care people would have us believe. My very nice GP said; don’t change what you are doing, but my view is I still have a percentage point to knock off that HbA1c and I can do that. Previously I would have just thought ‘ok, well maybe I can have the odd treat then, as I’m obviously doing very well’. Now my standards are higher and hopefully my life will be longer as a consequence. So thank you to all the posters on this site and especially thank you to the low carb gurus who are showing us the way ahead.

All the best

Dillinger

heidiphillips

Had to say this!! Tia (age 8, diagnosed August 2008) just had her HbA1c result - 5.7%!!! One proud, happy and rather tearful mum...! Thanks to all of youxx

Reactions: TIANDB

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

TALE OF A DIABETIC. DOOM and the Salvation.

11/12 years ago I was newly diagnosed as a Diabetic. That came about when I was all gowned up for a knee operation and just before it was due to take place I was asked, “How long have you been a Diabetic ? ” I thought for a minute and then replied, “ Probably about ten minutes !! “

That was my diagnosis. Needless to say the operation took place several weeks later. After that I was given lots of information about diet and saw a Dietician. Given eating plans and went away thinking, this isn’t so bad, I can eat most of the things I was already eating just in smaller portions and eating Brown Rice, Pasta and Bread. Great.

I carried on with that diet for several years and my weight slowly but surely rose till I was nearly 18.5 stone. During this time I got increasingly more ill. High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, you name it I think I had it. My life went downhill, I couldn’t exercise, I had joint problems, and my eyesight got progressively worse. I just thought that whatever time I had left was going to be a bonus. I thought about 6 – 7 yrs !

I carried on like that until 2004. Then I started getting Angina, this was on top of my ever bulging waistline and fat face. After a holiday in France that year I thought I was going to die, could only walk a few yards or so. I ended up having to have a triple bypass heart operation. Felt a million dollars when I came out of Hospital.

Then they gave me the same 'healthy' diet. So off I went and continued in the same way. BP and Cholesterol soared, HbA1c rocketed and I got progressively worse and weight that I had started to lose after the operation came back again. I reached 19.5 stone. I was huge and felt awful about myself. Clothes didn’t fit, walking was again an effort and all the good work the Surgeon’s had done was being rapidly undone. I was on a bucket of medications as well.

Then in January this year I found this website Diabetes.co.uk I trawled the Forum and took on board the advice regarding diet for a Diabetic. I could see that the advice I had previously had was just plain wrong for me. It had made my condition much worse.

I thought at first that a low carbohydrate diet was the way to go but I didn't fancy high fats, especially after having the heart op. So I looked at a low GI diet which seemed just what I needed, I modified it by reducing the carbohydrate intake drastically. Down to around 60g of carbohydrates per day. ! I also added low fat, low salt, and low sugar. Seemed OK to me. Plenty of Fruit, Vegetables, Meats, almost anything I wanted really. I was also put on a drug called Byetta which is injected twice daily, it is not Insulin. It is extremely effective and also helps to suppress the appetite and helps the weight loss. For me it has turned my life around.

What a difference that made. Blood Glucose levels all started going down, weight started falling off, and lipids all began to get close to near 'normal' levels, Cholesterol now down to 3.2. I have managed to lose 3 stone in as many months with this new diet. I have so much more energy and vitality now. Life is just great.

Before it was a chore and I wondered how much longer I had got left. Now I ‘m planning ahead and even starting to exercise. I have some way to go yet but I am now down to just 15 stone 13 lbs. My next target is to get below 15 stone and then set my next target ? It seems achievable and I at least now I have the confidence and motivation to get to that next target.

I would have never achieved this if it wasn't for the help and advice I found on this Forum. There were many good people here who give up their time freely to help and advise people. I have to mention the Moderators, Sugarless Sue, Dennis,and so many others whose advice I gratefully took on board. They all helped me in one way or another. All unpaid and unbiased.

That NHS 'healthy' diet for me was totally wrong. It may well be Ok for others but I cannot understand why alternative diets are not thought worthy of a mention ? I for one would have benefited.

One other thing is that most Diabetics are now being told they do not need to test daily, some are told that they only need to test once a week. One person was even told that a Blood Glucose level of 11 mmol/l was OK. That advice is scandalous.

If like me you can keep tight control of your Diabetes by testing regularly you will improve all aspects of your life. By denying Diabetics meters and test strips because of cost the NHS is sentencing many of us to an early grave or at the very least Diabetic complications galore.

Hopefully, as a Moderator I too can do my bit to pass on information, advice and sometimes just support to other members here. If that all ends then so be it, at least I will know that I tried my best.

Anybody reading this, good luck to you. Life can be better.

cugila
Ken :D

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...

Guys,

just returned from my first 3 month diabetic review....

I was diagnosed 27th April and my initial newbie review was 14th May.

Then my stats were :-
HBA1C 10.3
Weight 17stone 5 pounds
Trigs 7.7 (Not a typo, they WERE 7.7)
BP 131/80
Medication 2 x 500 Metformin and told to expect to be on insulin at next review with an incredibly gloomy prognosis.

Following 3 months of lo-carb as advised on the forum.....my latest stats are :-
HBA1C 5.8
Weight 13 stone 12 pounds
Trigs 1 (YES 1!)
BP 123/71
Medication REDUCED to 1 x 500 Metformin

My nurse called in a colleague and told her that my results were due to "taking my diabetes on". She said that the results were incredible!!

So Naturally I am ecstatic....

Only down sides........(minor to the Up sides :) )
My cholesterol INCREASED from 4.4 to 4.8, nurse refused me test strips stating NHS only require testing on insulin, I showed her my diet sheets and she didnt appear to concede that the results were majorly due to the lo-carb diet. :? .

Onward and Upwards (or should that be downwards? :D )

Steve