1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by fergus, Aug 27, 2008.

1. DaisyDuke 2

DaisyDuke 2 Type 2 · Active Member

Well done your doing great and your fasting reading is really good... are you getting daily exercise?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Miss_Piggywig

Miss_Piggywig Type 2 · Active Member

That's my summer aim. Bloods been really good so getting a little complacent. Given my self a talking too and gone back to using my fitness Pal to track for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrTickle

MrTickle Type 2 · Member

As some may recall, a clinic visit (for something else) showed up an HbA1C score of 55 early this year and I was advised to go to the GP to get a formal T2D diagnosis but instead I decided to follow low-carb and see if I can address the issue through diet first.

Since Feb. I have followed LCHF although there have been occasional cheats along the way, although for me thats the only way I can realistically maintain this as a lifestyle. As long as any cheat is followed by a few days of very low carb, I've found it all pretty manageable.

Anyway, since Feb, I have lost circa 4 stone and just had the results from a follow up clinic visit, and my HbA1C is now down to 35 which my doctor classifies as 'normal'. My doc was amazed at the result and mused - as we all have - as to why this approach isn't more widely pushed by the NHS.

Anyway, just been abroad for a week where I wasn't easily able to follow low carb (although did visit the Keto cafe in Berlin, which I would heartily recommend for anyone going there - their pizza was fantastic!), but back now and on the low carb train again....

Thanks to all on this forum for the vital information which has allowed me to navigate the sometimes counter-intuitive world of LCHF, and I hope that I will be able to maintain the diet and the good numbers in my next set of bloods, which will be early 2019

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  4. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations @MrTickle brilliant that you addressed this full on with amazing results including your four stone loss in such a short time too.
    Love to visit keto cafe in Berlin Berlin is on my wish list for a visit but can imagine low carb may be difficult
    Interesting too that your GP actually mused about why lCHF isn’t more widely promoted by the NHS.......
    Well done you

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gazzamius1

Gazzamius1 Type 2 · Member

Hi everyone and specially Fergus for starting this thread. i have been a member here for sometime, and i do lapse my commitment to regularly coming here and keeping up to date. not because i don't want to... i just forget a lot. but i am in complete agreement with LCHF, tried it several times over the past 3 years or so. but always lapsed back into eating way too much old habit forming fish and chips and steak pies etc etc. you all know the score. Well i am 65 and after 60 odd years of eating the conventional British way. it's so hard to change to a completely different way of eating. i would generally last eating LCHF for a few weeks then drop out. but for the last 3 months i have knuckled down, quit the regular drinking of lager and absolutely stuck rigidly to LCHF. around 20 grams carbs per day and that's mostly green carbs. have completely abstained from bread, rice, any starchy product, sugar, potatoes, root veggies, I eat mostly Fish, beef, pork, lamb, Bought myself a proper portion size dinner plate, (the one with sections for vegetables, protein and animal fat ) cos generally i have eyes bigger than my belly. took me a little time to get used to. so the first month i was generally eating a little too much, trying to educate my brain was getting a bit difficult ;) ......... BUT in general for the first month my blood sugars started to drop, i was injecting over 180 units daily (Humalog 50) i was gaining weight using this high dosage.........Hbaic was 12........... but slowly i controlled my portion size and knocked the carbs off. i bought myself a set of scales that connects via bluetooth to my iphone. saves all that taking notes and keeping a diary. this little bit of magic automatically updates your weight, BMI, Body Fat etc. to your phone and gives you a sliding scale of how your doing. well....... i was 18stone 2Lbs .... a month ago. i don't use the scales every day just once a week. but, i am now down to 17stone 2 Lbs. testing my blood everyday ( i have always done regularly) was between 11 and 19 mmols. before committing properly to Keto. now for the last 2 months my blood sugars have never been over 8 and i regularly wake up in the morning and i test, sometimes 5 and the highest read has been 7 mmols. i cannot wait for my next Hbaic result which is due in November after hospital blood test.
    I will also take note from my Diabetic nurse, my Hbaic. Weight, Total cholesterol, Hdl and ldl levels from now on. now i understand what they mean. I am finding it much easier to stick to this ( i will not say diet any more ) But this way of eating. these forums help people in a big way. but i am sure there are lots of people who need to commit to Keto. it is Sooooo Hard to get used to. but as soon as a person wakes up to the fact that HIGH CARB low fat is the killer diet. the better off they will be. i mean if you are diabetic obviously. Good Luck with the crusade People. see you all again soon. hopefully i will hear better and better news from all trying to get to grips with their diabetes .

Gaz

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Most of the type 2s I heard about who were not overweight found that upping protein slightly if needed and eating more healthy fats stopped the undesired weight loss while enabling them to keep carbs down and control their blood sugar. However, it does sound as if you might really be a type 1 not type 2, eg a LADA?

• Like Like x 1
  7. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed at the end of May this year:
    HbA1C 51
    triglycerides 1.97

I went low carb instead of metformin, with limited support. I also opted for a 45 min appointment with a dietician instead of the Desmond programme as I'd heard they don't support low carb.
    Self-testing showed my blood sugars were mostly down within the normal range within 2 weeks, plus I was finally losing weight.
    I then saw the dietician, and ignored her advice to eat more carbs. At that point I was on 100g a day.
    I'm now down to 85g of carbs a day, all my BS readings are good.
    At the 3 month point the official figures came back:
    HbA1C 38
    triglycerides 1.41

My DN was amazed and promised, at last, to visit the lowcarbprogram site and look at the stats.
    Low carb is still working for me, but I am disappointed how many people do not understand - they think they've eliminated all the sugar in their diet if they just stop adding it to drinks and don't eat chocolate and cake. I am constantly offered food I no longer eat by helpful friends who think it fits my diet!

BTW I've also lost 3 st since the end of May.
    If you want to try low carb and don't need to lose weight, just add more healthy fats.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DaisyDuke 2

DaisyDuke 2 Type 2 · Active Member

My Dr advised me to eat more protein because I was losing to much weight. It seems to be working so far.

9. pr126

pr126 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am on a Ketogenic diet for the last 3 months. Less than 40 gr of carbs a day.
    Average BG for the last 3 months is 6.9 mmol/L.

Stopped taking Glucophage SR for the last few days with no noticeable adverse signs.

Also losing weight slowly but steadily. Nearly 4 Kg in 3 months.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. LynnieG33

LynnieG33 · Member

Hi I have been on a low carb diet now for 12 days , my weight has stayed the same . How long before I should see anything weight loss ? I’m doing betweeen 10-15,000 steps a day at work . I’m feelin a bit panicked that I’m doing something wrong . My BG is usually between 6 and 9 .

• Like Like x 1
  11. pr126

I am on a low carb (ketogenic) diet, no pasta, potatoes, rice or grain products at all for the last 4 months.
    Lost 4 kilos in weight.

Average glucose level 6.6 Rarely get over 7.
    It all depends on the diet. It must be less than 20 gr carb a day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pr126

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sandra1953

Sandra1953 Type 2 · Newbie

14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

15. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@LynnieG33 welcome! That’s alot of steps at work!
    I am not very knowledgeable here yet, but I’d say don’t worry. As in so many things, it’s a marathon not a sprint. Have your BGs come down any in the 12 days, well now it’s 3 weeks? Do you test before and 2 hrs after meals, to learn what happens in your case for a particular food combo? You’ve probably discussed this all on other threads...
    Anyway, not to panic! Do your best and expect to be individual, just like every other soul on these boards

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. pr126

Average blood glucose monitoring for the last 3 months.
    Weight loss 5 Kg.
    Very low carb diet.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I think I know what the answer should be, but your figures seem to be a bit low for mg/dL units. Presume they should be mmol/L? or even %

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. pr126

It is mmol (UK standards).
    For the US multiply by 18.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Garway

Garway Type 2 · Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. pr126

Progress on the keto diet.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook